U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 30,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife, my 3 month old son, my dog, and myself are planning to relocate to the Frederick/Hagerstown region of MD. We are planning on renting, and would like to get a better feel as to what area's or neighborhoods are safe. We prefer not living in a cookie cutter type neighborhood, as we have lived in Florida and got sick of them.

I know there are a slough of posts on the subject, but I feel that what I am asking has not been addressed. Please accept my apologies if I missed other posts about the area that answered my questions.

I am originally from Long Island, NY, and my wife is from Southern Minnesota. We simply are looking for something that is a compromise of the two areas.

Ideally we would like to find a place that is safe and affordable. I will have to find a job either in DC or elsewhere in the region, but that will be addressed once we settle on which area we want to live in.

From what I have read, Hagerstown sounds very appealing, and Frederick sounds even more so. The biggest difference I have noticed in the two cities is the price of renting.

If anybody could help us, please, please do.

Are there Customer Service jobs in Hagerstown and / or Frederick?
Why is Frederick more expensive to live in?
Which city is safer, and which areas are good in each city?
Is a commute to DC or Baltimore feasible from either city? Will it be necessary to commute for work?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.....

My family greatly appreciates it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM

937 posts, read 2,372,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysdr View Post
Hello,
My wife, my 3 month old son, my dog, and myself are planning to relocate to the Frederick/Hagerstown region of MD. We are planning on renting, and would like to get a better feel as to what area's or neighborhoods are safe. We prefer not living in a cookie cutter type neighborhood, as we have lived in Florida and got sick of them.

I know there are a slough of posts on the subject, but I feel that what I am asking has not been addressed. Please accept my apologies if I missed other posts about the area that answered my questions.

I am originally from Long Island, NY, and my wife is from Southern Minnesota. We simply are looking for something that is a compromise of the two areas.

Ideally we would like to find a place that is safe and affordable. I will have to find a job either in DC or elsewhere in the region, but that will be addressed once we settle on which area we want to live in.

From what I have read, Hagerstown sounds very appealing, and Frederick sounds even more so. The biggest difference I have noticed in the two cities is the price of renting.

If anybody could help us, please, please do.

Are there Customer Service jobs in Hagerstown and / or Frederick?
Why is Frederick more expensive to live in?
Which city is safer, and which areas are good in each city?
Is a commute to DC or Baltimore feasible from either city? Will it be necessary to commute for work?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.....

My family greatly appreciates it.
Hi,
I live in Chambersburg, PA and both my husband and I work in Hagerstown. There are some areas to avoid, primarily downtown, but most areas will be nice. There are some great new neighborhoods going in, but they would be more "cookie cutter" than some of the older houses. I think Frederick is more expensive because it is more commutable to DC and NoVA. The 15 will take you down to the Leesburg area and the 70/270 will take you into DC. There are more and more people commuting from this area to D.C., but I can't imagine doing that. Several of my neighbors do it daily
I would imagine there a numerous customer service type jobs. There is also a need for distribution center workers. Depending on your background, you may want to commute to D.C. for higher pay, but with gas prices that may not help in the end. I work as a nurse at the prison complex in Hagerstown and if you are interested in a correctional officer position, they seem to always be hiring. We have lived in the area for about 1.5 years and like it. You could also consider Greencastle, PA. They have great schools and housing is a bit less expensive than Hagerstown and probably a lot less expensive than Frederick. Frederick does seem to have a lot of neat activities and the closer proximity to the D.C. area.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,041,100 times
Smile Fredneck or Hagersbush, Hmmmmm

It will depend upon where you work.
Hagerstown is less expensive due to one item. Proximity to Washington DC and Baltimore vs. Frederick.

Of course you will find more opportunity in the Frederick/Washington market than you will in Hagerstown unless you want to work in customer service for Citibank at State Line, MD/PA, the hokey in Williamsport, or as a tractor trailer truck driver for one of many companies located in Hagerstown.

If you work in the DC area you can find opportunity in Montgomery County in towns such as Gaithersburg and Rockville.

With today's gas prices commuting will come into play.
If you work in Frederick or Washington and live in Hagersbush you will have to take 70 over to 270 thus crossing South Mountain. Not a high mountain but enough to cause an extra sucking sound in your fuel line everyday of the week.

A very nice area in North Frederick County is Thurmont and Emmitsburg. About 15 miles north of Frederick and just down right beautiful. You can't miss it, just look for the giant golden Madonna on the mountainside. You just get a calm feeling standing beside it and heck, I'm not even Catholic.

One thing that will shock you coming from Florida and that is the Maryland income tax. It is one of the only states that has a Piggy Back. The state will steal 5% of your money, then the county will steal another part, which can place you in a 9%+ income tax. Many folks have wondered across the Pennsylvania line that is nice no matter where from Greencastle to Gettysburg, and some of the poor saps chose to cross over into West By God Virginia and live in Martinsburg. Would not suggest my native hometown. That areas has went down the slippery slope to slop since the early 80's. Of course that is a whole other thread in itself.

Good Luck

Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM

25 posts, read 105,279 times
Greencastle PA is awesome. I'd be moving there if it wouldn't mean a 2 hour drive.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM

60 posts, read 269,649 times
There are a couple customer service companies & bussiness' w/ that type of work in Hagerstown,Md. They go thru phases of hiring and downsizing depending on contracts. CitiCorp, Coca Cola Enterprizes(Hagerstown Md), Wolters Kluwer (Hagerstown, Md) have call center or customer service jobs. Mak Truck has a limited # of customer service type jobs.lWash Co Hospital also has clerical and call jobs occassionally. FedX, Staples, & Target dustribution centers are hiring at their distribution warehouses.

Depending on where your main job is will decide how far out u want to live.
I live in Hagerstown, Md (Washington County Md) & one of us commutes to the lower part of Montgomery County Md. The other works in town, near home.

Hagerstown Md and Washington County have a lot to offer. If you go outside Hagerstown it is still open space mixed w/ development. Then there are some beautiful areas in Pa and WVa.
There is more density and crime the further you go towards any city. Hagerstown has great neighborhoods outside the downtown core area. I live in a quaint old neighborhood built in the 50s, it is near North High, near the Pa boarder. It is affordable and neighborly. The middle school in my area is Northern MS. I know some newcomers rent first, there are apt complexes throughout Wash County. You have to walk around the towns, and drive thru the county, to get a feel for what suits your family's needs and income.
.................................................. .................................
Wash Co Md includes many towns worth checking out.
Clear Spring, Smithsburg, Hagerstown, Williamsport, Boonsboro, Maugansville, Funkstown, Sharpesburg
Washington County Maryland Home Page
.................................................. ...............................
In nearby Pa check out Greencastle and other towns.
www.co.franklin.pa (broken link).
.................................................. ...............................
West Virginia has Sheperdstown
Jefferson County West Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Charles Town, Shepherdstown, WV,

Last edited by alido; 06-26-2007 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 41,105 times
Default safe neighborhoods in Frederick

I think it's probably easier to give you the unsafe neighborhoods. downtown frederick, anything near Jefferson or South Street avoid. Otherwise, frederick is mostly arranged in subdivisions. The subdivisions I would avoid are any in the Hillcrest area (Both sides of Rt. 40 from Rt 15 west) by the Fredericktown mall. Avoid condos near Butterfly lane. Anything in the Rt 126 walkersville area is nice. Avoid Amber Meadows and Discovery developments. Anything in the Ft. Detrick area off Rosemont avenue is quite nice going all the way to Bethel Rd./Mountaindale rd. area. Anything in the Ballenger Creek area (Rt351) is quite nice.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:35 PM

135 posts, read 690,286 times
Discovery=Walkersville...i would definitely stay away from West All Saints St, Ice Street, Sagnor area....5th street, market street.etc

Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 24,892 times
Smile Frederick/Amber Meadows - Great Living

Frederick, MD is terffic -- something for everyone. Everything from the Fair to the arts, easy access to DC and fishing at Cunningham Falls.
It's typically not a good idea to generalize a certain area, you'll limit yourself. It's best to drive around and get a feel for a place. There is such a large amount of information available, such as crime statistics on line, etc., Each area within Frederick City has a NAC (neighborhood advisory council) made of of citizens who meet, address issues, etc. Minutes are typically posted on-line at cityoffrederick.org.
It is important to determine how you want to live. Do you have children? Do you want to be home with them or have a nanny? Are you a 2-income family with both parents working? Do you want to have a home with a little bit of property that you can afford in a decent community? Do you want to be close to activities or have lots of privacy?
My experience with Amber Meadows has been wonderful. As with many neighborhoods, there are tight-knit streets and those that are not. From personal experience, Amber Meadows is the kind of neighborhood where moms can afford to be stay-at-home moms, and you can currently get a whole lot of house for the money. There is an influx of new families and children and people putting care and attention into their homes. Yeah, you have city taxes, but there are many benefits to that. It is 10 minutes to downtown and 25 minutes to Cunningham Falls. It is also a diverse community where you don't get the feeling from people that you don't belong. We love the convenience to DC to the museums, etc., by taking the train from behind the Target right to Union Station.
Frederick is growing due to new companys and an expanding Ft. Detrick. Not only is it close to many areas with job opportunities, there are also growing opportunities in Frederick, itself, especially in the areas of research. I know people who've moved up to PA and are miserable because they spend so much time commuting. That is no way to live.
For years I have heard about new neighborhoods like Spring Ridge, but now I hear they have a problem with teenage drug use -- too many teens with money, and parents not home to keep an eye on things.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 AM

9,882 posts, read 14,862,736 times
I have alot of friends from both. Hagerstown and Frederick are both very safe, though I've heard that downtown Frederick is "ghetto", but that is a relative term. Its probably Wheaton type ghetto and not Baltimore or DC type ghetto.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM

13,428 posts, read 19,812,895 times
Downtown Frederick is not a ghetto. Its full of lovely historic houses that have been bought up and fixed up. Lots of cool restaurants, antique shops and galleries. Another reason why is pricier than Hagerstown, which is dullsville personified.

There are some shady areas in Frederick as you drive out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland