U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM

380 posts, read 607,589 times
I'm sorry if I offended, I thought I was only stating factual information to compare & contrast the locations.
It is true there are more taxes to pay for more services in MD, if that's what one want's it would be a good choice. It is true that there are zoning rules in Washington county which restrict what you can do on your property; that's what I was pointing out. If that's what you want, then Hagerstown is a good fit.
I would hope that if someone posts on the WV forum about possibly moving to north Berkely or Jefferson and mention that they want to live in an area where there are restrictions with zoning and more services paid for by higher taxes and higher utility fees, that you guys would post and mention how Washington County might be a better fit for what the poster is looking for, considering that they are geographically adjoined.
Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM

142 posts, read 259,428 times
I appreciate getting both sides of the story...

Please don't turn this thread into an argument about MD vs WV.

It sounds as if MD is pretty much like LI, with prettier scenery, lower taxes (at least in Western MD) and more diverse....many of the areas on Long Island are pretty segregated....not all, but many. Luckily, the neighborhood I live in is pretty diverse for Long Island and I am looking for that same type of feel.

I would love to hear from more people in the area of the pros and cons.

Regarding the crime - I'm pretty spoiled living on LI in regards to low crime. But I'm also not a late night person, so I'm assuming if I'm not out wandering the streets late at night or down back alleys - I should be ok for the most part in Hagerstown - or is that a poor assumption? (I noticed a pretty high assault rate on a few websites)

Does Hagerstown or any of the surrounding areas flood a lot?

Last edited by NEEDMORESPACE2; 04-02-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Unread 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM

2,902 posts, read 3,705,042 times
I would not say Washington County is like Long Island and I wouldn't say it is diverse. You basically have:

Hagerstown - small urban area with most of the benefits and drawbacks that a small city entails. It is mostly white, with some black population concentrated downtown

Suburbs - growing in number around the core city of Hagerstown and along the west flank of South Mountain. These places probably have some diversity (I will yield to those with more knowlege.) These suburbs are growing, but overall are still a small portion of the county.

Farm Country - This is about 80% of the land in the county. It is near unversally white and populated by people who have lived there for generations. These areas are politically very conservative; guns, trucks, and Jesus kind of people.

Neighboring WV is pretty much the same. If you are looking for a place with more diversity than just white and black and where more transplants live, I would suggest looking east into Frederick. It is still scenic but more connected to the DC metro area than Washington County. Of course you will pay more to live there.

Unread 04-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I would not say Washington County is like Long Island and I wouldn't say it is diverse.
Sorry - when I said it sounded a lot like Long Island, I was referring to the lack of 'freedoms' ....

That's disappointing about the diversity though. htownterp's reply (see below) made it sound like the areas were pretty mixed. I know the city data stats say the town's majority is white, but I was hoping that everyone who was not white was living throughout the town too, not centered in one small part of it. Like where I live now, in the three houses surrounding me, one household is black, one Spanish and one white....

htownterp: "I don't think racial tension is a problem here, or is any more of a problem here than anywhere else. My neighborhood is very diverse, and the diversity in the county has grown over the past ten years. It has been a great thing. Just out walking tonight, folks from all walks of life talking, visiting, etc together in harmony. I don't think there are many racial issues in this entire area, not like they may still have in places in the south."

Unread 04-02-2010, 08:46 PM

2,902 posts, read 3,705,042 times
Here are the demographic stats from wikipedia for Washington County.

89.71% White or Caucasian, 7.77% Black or African American, 0.18% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. 1.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race

Pretty much white with some black. It is also important to note that incarcerated prisoners are included in census stats. The prison population is, how do I say, a different racial mix than the population of the county as a whole.

Maybe Htownterp can point you to some racially mixed neighborhoods, but I can say that the rural parts of the county are just about entirely white, and the most racially mixed neighborhoods in Hagerstown proper would be downtown, which is also the highest crime area.

Unread 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM

thanks again.

anyone else have anything to add?

-even though its not so diverse, how is the area regarding racism?

-how bad exactly is the crime?

-any areas prone to flooding?

Unread 04-06-2010, 05:24 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,242,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDMORESPACE2 View Post
That's disappointing about the diversity though. htownterp's reply (see below) made it sound like the areas were pretty mixed. I know the city data stats say the town's majority is white, but I was hoping that everyone who was not white was living throughout the town too, not centered in one small part of it. Like where I live now, in the three houses surrounding me, one household is black, one Spanish and one white....
I'll be honest with you. I lived in MD for 47 years. I was used to the segregation there. It is everywhere. You had your white, black, Latino etc neighborhoods and it was not often that they mixed. I thought everywhere was like that. When I moved here to NC 4 years ago it was a rear eye opener to see it wasn't like that everywhere. It is totally mixed up here. I don't care that it is but it kinda came as a bit of a shock.

Unread 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM

336 posts, read 444,309 times
Gotcha Clint...no sweat, I understand what you are saying.

Diversty.....I think westsideboy is pretty spot on with his comments, but as someone who has lived here a long time and grown up here, it is far more diverse now than in the past. Many of the newer neighborhoods are diverse in my opinion, drawing a mixed crowd from the metropolitan areas. Many places in town are as well, with pockets that are almost entirely one ethnic group, such as African American. I see changes in little things, like more ethnic restaurants opening (we have a new Indian restaurant downtown that is awesome), ethnic markets and shops, activities for residents, etc. In no way did I mean to imply that it is an ethnic eutopia, but I think those numbers of diversity will change a lot when the results of the new census come out.

I do stand by my comment that folks here work and play along side each other nicely, regardless of color. At least in my circles that I travel in they do, and from what I can tell. The further East you travel the more diverse it tends to get, but even Frederick County is only 6% African American and a little over 2% Hispanic. Racism and segregation unfortunately still exist everywhere.....but in this area, I don't hear friends who are in the minority complaining. I think you will be happy anywhere in the PA/MD/WV area down here.

Hope that helped a little!

Unread 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks for both of your comments.

All opinions are helpful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland