Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 31,306 times

Advertisements

I just applied for an entry level position in supplies. I was wondering if anyone knew what the chances are of me actually getting a job. I will graduate college in may with a teaching degree. i answered all of the questions that i was sent from teh govt after i sent in my resume. i could answer most of the questions in a positive way due to teaching experience i have. does this matter? apparently they review resumes in May/June...does that mean thats when they hire also. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
I've worked at APG for a few years as a contractor, so I can give you a little insight as to how the gov't jobs work and "getting in the system". It's a lot harder than you might think.

If you are looking to get in based on your education with no prior military exp., you are in for a shocker. If you are graduating with your Bachelor's, you'll be good for a GS-5 or lower position, mainly because of the way the system is setup (which I think is crazy if you ask me). A lot of intern positions are available to students who have graduated, and are offered at a GS-5 level. If you have a Master's or higher, then you'll be in a better spot. Check out the GS-5 pay scale.

As far as Resumes, and the federal job application process, you need to fill out each and every part of the application for the job you are applying to. I would seriously look at KSA's and examples of those. Copy and pasting stuff directly off your resume is a no no, and you'll be at the bottom of the pile guranteed. You have to do long-winded answers and be very detailed regarding that.

When the job annoucement closes, they have 3 piles, the internal (military preference, previous and current govt employees, people on the PPP list, and other agency eligibles), the external (everyone else that skimmed through) and the trash pile. For 1 position they take the top 3 from internal and external, and then decide from there who they want to interview. Now this has probably changed slightly depending on if it's NSPS or not, but should be fairly close.

If you ever do get to an Interview, please keep in mind that if there are any military, active or prior on that interview list, they will have 1st priority...and no I'm not joking. You could have the best interview, and have all the skills, but Military preference trumps yours...period. Only if the military preference person turns in down and you are 2nd or 3rd on that list, ONLY then will you get hired. And so long as the military person is "trainable", which takes an act of congress to get an idiot like that removed. But that's a LONG shot. After an interview, it can take another few months before actually coming on board.

There are also those that get into the system because they know someone, which is crazy, but can be done. I've seen prior military retire, and then slip into a GS job that next Monday. I've seen GS-14's hire their friends thru the "back door" of course, which is illegal, but most get a wrist slap for that.

You will have better luck if you graduate and get into a "Intern" based position there, OR working at the PX, Commisary, or any NAF or AAFES jobs. After a year doing that, you are ICTAP eligible ( I believe ), and will have preference and can transfer into a "real" gov't job. You gotta understand that the "system" is designed for Military and "smart kids" right out of college.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM

16 posts, read 31,306 times
Yes, I should have been clearer...I applied for the intern positions. Not anything higher. What are the chances of me getting a job that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: