U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 PM

64 posts, read 105,332 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of relocating to Fredrick, MD, so I took a drive yesterday with my kids and we liked the city. However, as we drove on the North side of town there was a smell that was so bad the my kid's stomaches started to turn. The smell seemed to carry as I drove back towrds the center of town on the Sout-West part. This was with no wind and I was wondering if the town usually smells this bad and what was the smell from??? If there is wind how far can one smell the stink?

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM

359 posts, read 564,656 times
Never noticed a smell other than manure spread on the farmers fields, which can last a day or two then goes away. I think it may have just been a freak thing that day.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM

484 posts, read 576,665 times
a description would help.........

Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM

67 posts, read 150,656 times
I've noticed fertilizer smells (as Htownterp says, gone in a couple of days), and a distinct odor near water treatment plants. The canal downtown _might_ get a little ripe if the weather's just right (or just wrong), but that, I think, is rare.

I've got more problems with my one set of neighbors who aren't good at cleaning up after their two obnoxious dogs ...

Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 PM

12,876 posts, read 19,561,945 times
I was there last Thanksgiving for the day, and just speaking as a daytripper I noticed no odors.
What a marvelous place; I can't wait to come back.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,297,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
I was thinking of relocating to Fredrick, MD, so I took a drive yesterday with my kids and we liked the city. However, as we drove on the North side of town there was a smell that was so bad the my kid's stomaches started to turn. The smell seemed to carry as I drove back towrds the center of town on the Sout-West part. This was with no wind and I was wondering if the town usually smells this bad and what was the smell from??? If there is wind how far can one smell the stink?

Thanks~
Check the car gas pipe...........

Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,497 times
This is called Farm living.

As a person who has grown up in Frederick I have never smelled anything either unless you are out near the farms and smelling cow manure.

People get me they want to buy this house that is right down the road from that beautiful farm with the lovely green pastures and dotted with dairy cows.

They buy that house and then waste No time complaining about the smell. and wanting to write and go before the commissioners etc and "change" things LOL

If these smells or any smells bother you than do not live near farms.
It is called Common sense

As far as the writer Yes certain times they fertilize and certain times the smells are stronger and travel further from the farms that surround us

However in all honesty it is never strong smelling unless you travel to Woodsboro or Walkersville or Gas House Pike Linganore etc where the Farms are located.

In all honesty maybe Frederick is not your type place

Old 05-31-2010, 03:23 PM

359 posts, read 564,656 times
Good post lilbay. Kind of like the people who move to "Urblanda" in Frederick County, then complain that they are too far from shopping, dining, a blockbuster, pizza delivery, etc. Hello! You moved to the country! I thought they all wanted to get away from MoCo!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM

16,840 posts, read 16,642,740 times
We have the same thing here in Southern MD.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM

3,151 posts, read 4,419,762 times
Just 7-10 years ago Urbana was just a row of houses and a stop light. There has been a steady influx of low density residential developments along I-270 for the last 30 years, but nothing like the "suburb in a box" that is Urbana. The community looks more like Montgomery County than Frederick County.

Urbana has new middle and high schools, McDonalds, Waffle House, and 7-11. Target and Wallmart in Frederick are about 20 minutes away. Damascus and Germantown would be other shopping options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland