Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 12,066 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Boston area this summer and really loved Needham when I visited it with my Realtor. I have done some research online, but it is hard to determine what is accurate. Based on what I have seen, it looks like Broadmeadow and Newman are really great with Mitchell and Hillside close behind. Eliot seems to not have as high of ratings from what I have seen, but am not sure why.

Can anyone comment on the schools in Needham? Should I be concerned about any of them, or should I just look to get to the town regardless of the elementary school?

Also, any general comments on Needham? It seemed almost too good to be true with great neighborhoods, close to the city and phenomenal schools.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM

232 posts, read 542,337 times
Good town. School has a nice amount of diversity....a friend of mine was there for 10 years. Her kids (they are Jewish) loved that they had the Jewish holidays off as well as the usual Christian holidays. Unfortunately they had to move away for work, so I do not know about the school afiliation.

One downside of its centralized location, you're in all kinds of traffic during rush, unfortunately there is no way around that. The I-90/128 interchange perhaps the most congested in the state.

I am a telecommunications engineer so I will share this with you. Some folks do not like the Needham "antenna farm"...you probably remember seeing it on the highway? All of the major TV outlets and many of the major radio outlets in Boston have their broadcast antennas on 1300 foot towers in Needham, along Route 128. This can sometimes wreak some havoc with reception for cordless phones, cell phones, radios and over-the-air TV (remember that? LOL). A lot depends on where you are. The closer you are to the towers, the more interference there will be. The further away, the less interference.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

17 posts, read 75,924 times
Needham is a nice town. The center still feels like a community, with the all the shops you need.

My daughter went to elementary school in Wellesley, and middle and high school in Needham. There was more diversity in Needham, and overall she liked it better. Some of the instruction, particularly in the sciences, though, was not as good as it could have been.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
The Needham school district is very good and Needham is a desirable suburb. I don't know the ins and outs of the individual schools, but put it this way, quality of schools wouldn't be a reason why I'd reconsider moving there.

I wouldn't call it too good to be true, only because houses are pretty expensive so you pay the premium to live in a great town with all those advantages. It's a nice area.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

232 posts, read 542,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
I wouldn't call it too good to be true, only because houses are pretty expensive so you pay the premium to live in a great town with all those advantages. It's a nice area.
Indeed. Way out of range for what I could afford as a single nerd, but if it's in somebody else's range...more power to them!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,405 times
If you like Needham you may want to check out Wellesley as well, as it has many of the same great features (of course also the same high prices though).

Best of luck with your move!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,066 times
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts