Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,378 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to sign up for health coverage through my employer, but it's expensive. Just for medical coverage through HMO Blue New England Medical my monthly medical payment out of my paycheck (not including dental, disability or any other types of benefits) would be $161.

If I wanted to include my son it would be $287 monthly (just for medical coverage for us both). As it stands right now, if I just choose dental (for both my son and I) and health for just myself, I am looking at paying $197 per month. I am not even scheduled for full-time hours and I only make $12 per hour.

So.......when I was on Mass Health I was having a difficult time finding doctor's offices or even dentists that would accept Mass Health. They say the reimbursement from Mass Health is simply terrible (or are they lying?).

Anyone else here using Mass Health and find it worth taking over health care benefits offered by their employers (or that they can get through self-employment)?

Thanks for the responses!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 05:26 PM

312 posts, read 867,741 times
My daughter is Commonwealth Care. She did not qualify for Mass Health but the next step up. It has been a real hassle finding her local doctors that could treat her. And yes, you are correct that a lot of drs won't take it anymore. Whether it is a financial factor or not, I am not sure, but boy she has ended up with some doozies! She has had to change doctors several times for various reasons over the last year and a half, and now we have to travel an hour away but she found one she likes, and doesn't have to go quite as often anymore.

Health care is getting expensive everywhere whether through and employer or not. I am sure you also would qualify for the commonwealth care program where you are part time and make what you make. It is all done by income and family size. I think you can even find out the list of doctors on the website so you can see who is available- although I would double-check that with a phone call to the doctors' office first. We saw the lists and saw my daughter's old doctor on there and thought that would be great. When I called for an appointment, the receptionist told us that she hasn't taken state insurance for over 3 years and they haven't removed her name from the list!

The worst is trying to find a dentist that takes it... Still looking! :=) They are really few and far between. We were paying it for her but can't keep that up.

Have you checked the BCBS website to see what it would be if you paid it yourself? Just a thought. It might provide some information that you can use to compare what your company offers etc.

Last edited by DiJay; 06-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM

DiJay, I think Blue Cross Blue Shield is HMO Blue New England Medical. If it isn't there is no way on Earth I would be able to pay for medical/dental insurance without an employer's assistance. If it is HMO Blue New England Medical, then I wrote in my opening post what it would cost me.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM

I have seen the Commonwealth Care program costs outline, and it sure doesn't seem any cheaper than what my employer offers. In fact it is MORE than what I wrote in my opening post. Why can't doctors just band together and come up with income-dependent services (each service is a certain percentage of your income)??? I don't believe for a damn moment that healthcare can't survive without the 'assistance' of insurance companies.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM

LOL- oh yeah, I agree with you there. Cut out the middle man I say! I would love to see them all gone, they just complicate everything. The thing that gets me the most about them is that they can get away with dictating to doctors how to treat their patients. So, so wrong...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Perhaps I need to change the opening question to "Is health coverage offered by employer (taken out of paycheck) worth it?".

Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 AM

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Perhaps if you did start the thread over with your new question you may get more helpful responses.
Best to you.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,126 times
really 287 a month is not all that bad,i pay roughly 400 a month for health and dental for myself and my family(wife and 2 kids).And health insurance is always worth it,because without your health you have nothing.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
I would say don't worry about the dental plan. That is expensive for each month. You can go to gentle dental and once or twice a year and just pay around $100-$150 a visit.

As far as healthcare $287 isn't that bad right now. I know many who are paying a lot more. The bad part about healthcare is the price is only going to get worse for the people who work and pay for their insurance. With the government becoming more involved it is only going to push prices up for many.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
really 287 a month is not all that bad,i pay roughly 400 a month for health and dental for myself and my family(wife and 2 kids).And health insurance is always worth it,because without your health you have nothing.
What is your monthly income? I have a feeling that you make a bit more than ($12 x 30 hrs per week). Also, if your wife works then that helps, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts