Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 95,433 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Gloucester, MA sometime this year for a new job. I am looking for a great place to live. I am willing to travel up to 30 minutes from Gloucester. Here is my criteria, obviously just listing off everything I would like knowing there is no perfect place.

Good elementary schools and preschool.
Town Parks
Closer to the water the better
Restaurants
Grocery Stores
Diversity
House or Apartment Rentals over 2 bedrooms averaging $1200

Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:36 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,284 times
Oh boy...I hate to be the downer, but Gloucester ( and all the surrounding North Shore towns) is pricey. I don't think you are going to find anything desirable in that price range.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
I'm not sure you can find what you want for $1200 per month but Gloucester and Beverly both meet your requirements for the other criteria.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 95,433 times
I have been finding some apartment listings for Salem in historic homes. Any thoughts on what Salem is like for a young family?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,122 times
I don't know very much about Salem, but what I do know about it is not good...I've heard there's problems there with latino gangs fighting with black gangs and that the schools are horrid. Not sure how much truth there is to it though...on the other hand, Salem is a charming little typical New England town in most places. It has some nice parks and nice little seashore, but I haven't spent much time there to be honest and like I said, I've not heard good things from others who are from there...

I think if you look around enough though you'll be able to find what you're looking for in Gloucester...I've never heard of Gloucester being overpriced or even all that expensive, unless you want a beachfront mansion or something.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I'd vote for Gloucester. Second the buzz on Salem- a charming town but a lot of tough folk have moved there from Lynn and friends there aren't so keen on the changes
Gloucester has a decided blue-collar flavor (except for the uber-rich beach areas) and is, I think, a solid decent place to live. Genuine charm and some grit to keep it from being too cute. A friend of mine rents her one-bedroom out (a two-family) for about $800 and says that tenants say there isn't much intermediate housing- decent, not beat, and not fancy rich. More than two bedrooms? I'd say it's gonna be pretty tight, but I think you could find two beds in Gloucester in your price range. Best wishes.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Essex & Manchester-By-The-Sea have an excellent combined school system but I don't think you could find an affordable apartment in either town.

I like Gloucester but I don't think their school system is that good. Also the town seems to get these major problems -- like last summer it was contaminated drinking water and the ban went on for a long time. Was it last year that a house exploded due to old underground gas lines and there are supposed to be a lot more that need work? Things like that.

Ipswich is wonderful and it has Crane's Beach and lots of apartment complexes and a good school system but it is probably expensive. There are also Hamilton and Wenham -- no ocean beach but close to it and great school systems. Very expensive though.

I'd probably start with Ipswich on the off chance that there might be something for you to rent.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM

43 posts, read 93,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue412 View Post
I will be relocating to Gloucester, MA sometime this year for a new job. I am looking for a great place to live. I am willing to travel up to 30 minutes from Gloucester. Here is my criteria, obviously just listing off everything I would like knowing there is no perfect place.

Good elementary schools and preschool.
Town Parks
Closer to the water the better
Restaurants
Grocery Stores
Diversity
House or Apartment Rentals over 2 bedrooms averaging $1200

Thanks for any suggestions
Start Looking in Ipswich.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,200 times
Gloucester has a charm that other North Shore communities do not. It has some less costly rentals especially for good tenants on a year-round basis because it is still a working waterfornt city. Brightdoglover got it right when she says it has a little bit of grit but we are lucky to have some great restaurants, shops and culture (mostly during the tourist season). Most residents have lived here for generations and everyone knows each other. And Gloucester is changing for the better. After the gas explosion, National Grid came in and replaced ALL gas lines (some dating back 100yrs). After the boil-water order, the city has switched over to a new form of treating the water that doesn't cause buildups (Boston has been using it for decades). And the schools will have a new superintendent next year and the worst school is replacing the principal and asst. principal. So, in my opinion, things are just getting better and now would be the time to get in before word gets out.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,843 times
I agree, things are getting better in Gloucester, and it is quickly becoming a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts