U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 PM

5,852 posts, read 1,503,865 times
Default comments on Needham?

Looking for opinions on living in Needham. Is there a nice town center with local shopping,markets,etc? Areas to avoid? All opinions welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 AM

407 posts, read 1,584,103 times
Needham is a decent town as a whole...

Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM

From the looks of it, Needham is not a very popular town? Would really appreciate a more detailed response.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,949,758 times
No, Needham is a very nice town with a great school district. It's right on the commuter rail line and convenient to 128, etc. It's pretty congested but you have all the necessary shopping right there. It's very expensive.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,206 times
Needham is a nice town. My grandfather (95 years old) has lived there his entire life, my mom grew up there and I have spent a lot of time there. I would say, however, that it has changed a lot. It is VERY congested and while the downtown area has some nice shops and restaurants, it is also filled with people speeding by in their expensive SUVs and Mercedes who would run you over before letting you cross the street. People are more concerned with their McMansions than their neighbors. It's become a very expensive place to live.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Thank you everyone for the info on Needham. Are there any quieter family areas that are nice?

Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 AM

85 posts, read 208,832 times
I'm not sure the posts paint the exact picture. I grew up in Needham and my mother still lives there so I am there frequently.

Yes, it is expensive to buy a home there. Yes, there are areas where when an older cape/ranch/smaller colonial is for sale they tear it down and put up a 4000-square foot new "McMansion."

But, I think "congestion" is relative. I don't consider the town congested at all. It's definitely a town and not at all city-like, it has a downtown with some good restaurants (though residents would argue they need more shops/restaurants and fewer banks as there are a dozen or so downtown).

I'm there a few weekends a month and end up running around town to the grocery store or something to help out my mom ... I see no issues with traffic or rude drivers (no more rude than the rest of the Commonwealth) ... but that's just my take.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,949,758 times
Dedham is right next door to Needham and is less expensive. Parts of Dedham are very nice, but the schools are just fair so resale value isn't there and if you do have kids, you're better off in Needham. The other parts of Needham border on Dover ($$$$$), Newton ($$$$$), Wellesley ($$$$$)--well, you get the idea!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,178,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
Dedham is right next door to Needham and is less expensive. Parts of Dedham are very nice, but the schools are just fair so resale value isn't there and if you do have kids, you're better off in Needham. The other parts of Needham border on Dover ($$$$$), Newton ($$$$$), Wellesley ($$$$$)--well, you get the idea!
I hear you on the Wellesley border part of Needham. A friend of mine just purchased a 3bd split w/only 1200 s.f. for $510k. It's walking distance to an elementary school and a few blocks from the Wellesley border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts