Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 AM

52 posts, read 179,871 times

Advertisements

Hi!

As I have previously posted I am relocating with my family and looking at a few different areas, one being Scituate. I am slowly narrowing it down which is exciting!

However, I have a question for the Scituate residents. I do not notice a hospital or urgent care close by. With children ofcourse, that is highly important. The one I found on mapquest was 20 min. away. Is this right?

Is there a closer one?

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 56,422 times
hello! the closest hospital is South Shore Hospital, roughly 20mins away. Scituate has a medical facility (Harbor Medical) that can do things like draw blood, give xrays, etc., but for emergency care, SS is the closest. (I live in Cohasset but am happy to answer any Scituate questions I can! It's the next town over. . . great place.)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks!

So just to be clear if say like one of my children hit their head or fell down and broke something, then the nearest place to help would be 20 min. away?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM

the nearest ER would be 20 minutes away. the nearest dr's office would be less than 5 minutes away. :0

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM

63 posts, read 203,516 times
We also have great EMT repsponse in each town

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks.
I think we are really looking into Scituate so it is good to know. I take for granted where we live now because surprisingly enough our urgent care and hospitals are 5-8 min. away.
Where we lived before (Cali.) it was roughly 15min. so not too much of a difference from Scituate.

*Melmoves, can you share with me what your take is on the area since you live so close. Schools? Activities for kids, if you have some or know of families with children? Restuarants, theaters, parks? Downtown? Cafe or/and breakfast joints.?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM

There is a great little downtown in Scituate by the Harbor. . . a few restaurants (family to fancy, depending on your mood!), shops, movie theatre (small 2 screen but nice seats and all that), coffee shops, small market, etc. There are a few playgrounds and a great rec complex by the highschool: they have a skate park, street hockey rink, 2 basketball courts and a fenced in playground . . . picnic tables, etc. as well. We go there for hours at a time and my son will be playing football there in the fall (on the adjacent turf field). A lot of kids in this area learn to sail, and they offer that through Scituate Recreation. You can google Scituate, MA recreation and see all the different programs offered for kids through the rec department. As for schools, I don't know a ton except that I haven't hear that they are bad. . . I will ask some pals from scituate for their take. I know there are different elementary schools for different areas so I'll ask around and see about the reps and report back. If you come for a visit let me know and I'll give you some specifics for some restaurants, etc. TK O'Malley's is a family favorite in the harbor. . . Riva is a delicious date night restaurant. Overall, I'd say it is a great family town. . . lots of young kids, lots of things to do, great mix of blue collar and white collar.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 PM

That is great!

I would love to hear more so I will check back periodically. I think we are going to head out there towards the end of the school yr next may so we can check out the schools and talk to the principals. Also see what the scene is like during, at the end and after the school year.

I am still on the fence between Scituate, by the beach, and closer to the city in Lexington and Winchester. I have done extensive reasearch on the internet, and for us we like the urban feel closer to the city but we do not like the chaos all the time.
I am leaning torward Lex and Winchester simply because I am wondering if there are more cultural activities and diversity because they are closer to the city. However, the flip side is we are not upper class wealthy folks and we would be on the lower end of the area, though I have heard great things about the areas. I also hear there is pressure in the schools, which is a turn off. But a major plus for us there would be we have family in Arlington so hurray for Date Nights!!!

anyway, I look forward to hearing more.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM

P.S Also leaning more torwards Scituate, because it is by the beach, small town feel, and more layed back!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyMama3 View Post
I am leaning torward Lex and Winchester simply because I am wondering if there are more cultural activities and diversity because they are closer to the city. However, the flip side is we are not upper class wealthy folks and we would be on the lower end of the area, though I have heard great things about the areas. I also hear there is pressure in the schools, which is a turn off.
Winchester's schools are very good and the town is pretty upscale, but not exclusively so. I think you'd see more pressure in the Lexington schools.

Scituate is OK for economic diversity There's more ethnic diversity in Lex or Win than down by Scituate, but perhaps not that much more. Being closer to the city does give the chance for more exposure to diversity of all kinds and to cultural activities. But only if you go in and take advantage of them.

I like Scituate a lot and it's great to be near the beach but for me it's just a bit too far from Boston to commute every day.

I guess "too busy" is relative, but Lexington and Winchester don't strike me as chaotic. Of course I lived for years in NYC, so Winchester seems real quiet compared to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts