Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM

112 posts, read 476,935 times

Advertisements

Do you think it is worth paying the extra price to live in Northampton in walking distance of town versus living further out for a cheaper house/land, etc. and having to drive into town? My partner and I are torn between a newer/cheaper home and driving to town versus an older/more expensive home and walking to town.

Does anyone think the novelty of walking to town wears off after a while or do you still find it beneficial?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 06:23 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
How far is further out? Is it within Northampton? Northampton is a charming town, no doubt about it. I'm sure you've done the math on gas prices, commutes to work, etc. Do you go downtown often? For what purpose? Personally, if it were within my budget I would stay closer to downtown. The area around Smith is beautiful.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
I would pay the extra to live in Hamp close to downtown any day. Living right within walking distance will never grow old. It never did for me when I was there growning up. I lived on Bridge street across from Bridge Street Elementary as a teen back in the 80's and loved it there. Still do. My mother and I also lived right next to the post office off Bridge Street, love that area. When First Night comes around and you are done walking town, you can walk home instead of dealing with parking somewhere. You have so many good restaurants there. Northampton is an incredible town...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
I think that you have to answer for yourself the question of the degree to which less expensive housing balances against the convenience of living near downtown. That is a matter of personal preference, as well as what you really are able to afford. I can tell you, though, that I feel the same as ChrisA70 about living within walking distance of stores. For me, being able to walk places never grows old, and is waaaaay preferable to driving everywhere.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM

40 posts, read 106,184 times
I've been to Northampton to visit a few times. It takes five minutes to walk through town, turn around and walk back again.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaching4stars View Post
I've been to Northampton to visit a few times. It takes five minutes to walk through town, turn around and walk back again.
WOW. 5 minutes.... Did you run? Starting at Fitzwilly's up to State Street, across to pulaski Park, down to Pleasant St., up Pleasant and back to Fitzwilly's... 5 minutes? You must have a heck of a stride.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 AM

112 posts, read 476,935 times
We appreciate the feedback. It is definitely a big decision we will have to make. We currently live in NC. We visited 2 weeks ago and love the area!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyspringsgirl View Post
We appreciate the feedback. It is definitely a big decision we will have to make. We currently live in NC. We visited 2 weeks ago and love the area!
You will not be dissatisfied, it is a great place, with a lot of charm. I cannot wait to get back in a few months.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
I love Northampton and would pay the extra money to live in town and able to walk to restaurants, library, bank, health food store etc. In fact, my husband and I plan on moving to that area, out of Central MA, when we are closer to retirement age... but then I love the charming older homes and new houses in a "bedroom community" do not appeal to me at all.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts