Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM

24 posts, read 37,556 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I'm from New England but moved to LA ten years ago. It's time to come home. I'm from Maine but my dad and step mom are from Boston area so I'm really from both states.

I would like to move to a nice small town traditional NE town, any suggestions. I'm leaning towards Haverhill. It's close to Boston, NH and Maine where I want to be.

Jessika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
There are different prototypes of the "New England town." Haverhill, in my opinion, fits one of them--the small industrial-era city. It's a little bigger than the typical "small New England town."

Why Haverhill other than location? Do you have to commute anywhere in particular? Haverhill has the train but it's a long commute to Boston. There are some nice sections of town and some so-so parts. If you do want a "small" town there are plenty in that general area.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Haverhill is very affordable, and close to my family in that is spread around Boston, NH and Maine. I picked Haverhill cuz It seemed like a great place. I want a nice small town feel but close to big city's. I'm looking for a place that has parks, trails, nature stuff but not in a hick town thats too country ish.

I will be buying a house or duplux in a year or so and I figured I rent for a year in Haverhill a loft, and see how I like it, that way if i don't I will be there to be able to drive around to surrounding towns.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,886 times
Essex

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM

199 posts, read 948,516 times
Ipswich, MA? It's a lovely town center with lots of parks and a fantastic beach. Schools are good. Clam Box is one of the best restaurants for clams.

I suggest Essex too. Essex is a bit quieter than Ipswich but with some of the best seafood restaurants. The high school is excellent too.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM

What about Salem? I lived there ten years ago but in the kinda not so pretty area on Forest Ave near Salem State College. I was thinking near the historical parts?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 PM

93 posts, read 308,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjessla View Post
haverhill is very affordable, and close to my family in that is spread around boston, nh and maine. I picked haverhill cuz it seemed like a great place. I want a nice small town feel but close to big city's. I'm looking for a place that has parks, trails, nature stuff but not in a hick town thats too country ish.

I will be buying a house or duplux in a year or so and i figured i rent for a year in haverhill a loft, and see how i like it, that way if i don't i will be there to be able to drive around to surrounding towns.
andover

Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM

That's to far for me in Andover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts