Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times

Advertisements

pm sent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Leaving, You can be very proud of yourself for pulling yourself up by the bootstraps--I congratulate you. I mean it. It's really hard. I was divorced and temporarily disabled and had to depend on state help for awhile so I sort of know. I went back to work and then put myself through grad school and it was a long struggle.

I think it's okay to ask for help -- not to lean on it for the rest of your life -- but we are only human and not all of us have rich families to help us. Getting a leg up can make a real difference.

I, like you, can really get upset by freeloaders who never have any intention of working or bettering themselves. It's supposed to be a safety net, not a life support.

By the same token, I can't blame someone who is eligible and has waited on a list, for wanting a nice place to live. I'd want the best I could get too. I try not to be bitter or resentful of what I went through compared to other people who have had it easy or compared to people who take the easy way out for the rest of their lives.

You did really well and are to be commended.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Leaving, You can be very proud of yourself for pulling yourself up by the bootstraps--I congratulate you. I mean it. It's really hard. I was divorced and temporarily disabled and had to depend on state help for awhile so I sort of know. I went back to work and then put myself through grad school and it was a long struggle.

I think it's okay to ask for help -- not to lean on it for the rest of your life -- but we are only human and not all of us have rich families to help us. Getting a leg up can make a real difference.

I, like you, can really get upset by freeloaders who never have any intention of working or bettering themselves. It's supposed to be a safety net, not a life support.

By the same token, I can't blame someone who is eligible and has waited on a list, for wanting a nice place to live. I'd want the best I could get too. I try not to be bitter or resentful of what I went through compared to other people who have had it easy or compared to people who take the easy way out for the rest of their lives.

You did really well and are to be commended.
I really do not mean to come off harsh (I have a way of doing that though).

Truth is, I think there should be a system in place for people who need it (disabilities, death, job loss etc...) but when all she says is she wants to plant flowers and live in a beautiful home with sunsets, well, that gets me. It is simply not realistic, nor should it be.

I am all for not having a child nawing on some lead paint or having bullets come through the windows, but her expactations seem a little off. I would also be lying if I didn't say that her statement of two incomes leads me to believe she is not a single Mom but her and her partner are doing just enough to stay below the line. Call me cynical.

I appreciate your kinds words, but truthfully the only accolades I have ever needed is seeing my sons do so well. One has his Masters and one will finish this year. And neither of them have ever asked for help either.

Oh..one more thing. I am certainly not from a wealthy family. Both my parents passed away by the time I was 24 and had the nerve to not leave me independently wealthy.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
i was also cynical about the two income statement,and even though they are looking for places in wetsern mass they are looking in hampden and franklin counties(which are worlds apart imho).there are jobs to be had.i think they are just comfortable taking the easy way out,and it also is very very irresponsable of you to have not registered your children for school anywhere,They should be your first priority not great neighborhoods or sunsets.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
i was also cynical about the two income statement,and even though they are looking for places in wetsern mass they are looking in hampden and franklin counties(which are worlds apart imho).there are jobs to be had.i think they are just comfortable taking the easy way out,and it also is very very irresponsable of you to have not registered your children for school anywhere,They should be your first priority not great neighborhoods or sunsets.
I make over $50k per year and I can't afford any of those things. What have I done wrong, or is there a big secret I'm missing?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
difference is you work for what you have,not waiting for the mailman to bring you your voucher.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senay View Post
That is a real ugly and a very judgemental statement. I believe in miracles, because I have had them before. Just because one may possess the wonderful Sec.8 (it gives people a chance to advance to productivity) does not mean they should have less. I work very hard and when I dream, I dream big. Hope you wll see the light before its too late.

I'm sorry but you should absolutely have less. If you want more pay for it yourself and don't expect others to do so. Your free ride may be a little bumpy- deal with it.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
That is a real ugly and a very judgemental statement. I believe in miracles, because I have had them before. Just because one may possess the wonderful Sec.8 (it gives people a chance to advance to productivity) does not mean they should have less. I work very hard and when I dream, I dream big. Hope you wll see the light before its too late.
So when you got your Section 8 voucher... did you consider that a miracle? Do you consider it a gift from god? And how long do you think you should be able to keep your Section 8 voucher?

Maybe the rest of us hardworking tax payers would like to have Uncle Sam give us discounts on our housing too. And maybe we think that we deserve a sunrise or sunset view before someone with a Section 8 voucher. If you want to see a sunrise or a sunset, go find the right (free) public park to watch it in.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Maybe the rest of us hardworking tax payers would like to have Uncle Sam give us discounts on our housing too.
Uncle Sam does give you discounts on your housing, it's called the mortgage interest tax deduction. And, there are federal and state tax credits you can get for going solar or making other energy efficiency improvements to your private property.

I'll bet your Uncle has built some pretty nice roads so you can get to your property...public water/sewer? Did Uncle subsidize your college education with Pell grants and low interest loans, so you could get ahead in life like the OP wants to?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
You are already giving your offspring less by failing to enroll them into school. Action speaks louder than dreams. Get your kids enrolled in school, they can always transfer to another school at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts