Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 69,942 times

Advertisements

Hello All --

My kids are going to start school in a couple of years and we'll probably be looking in the South Shore for a house. Which towns in the South Shore are my kids least likely to pick up the Boston accent? To me, the accent is like fingernails on chalkboard, and I am extremely fearful that my kids will pick it up.

-BG

P.S.
I know for example, the accent is rare in Hingham and common in Weymouth.

Woops...I meant to post this in the Boston Forum, not the MA one. Mods help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
So move to Hingham. Or out of Massachusetts.

I'm trying very hard not to be completely offended by this.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Are you serious?

Kids get their accents well before they are in school.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 PM

32 posts, read 69,942 times
I'm amazed by the types of things people are offended by.

Anyway, HS_DUDE, you are completely wrong. Children can pick up local accents all the way up until their teens. After the age of 15-16, it is impossible to pick up a perfect local accent. Here is my source: http://inet.dpb.dpu.dk/infodok/sprog...6/Lund-eng.PDF

Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM

39 posts, read 164,053 times
If the accent bothers you that much, why are you moving there?

Also, the accent is not that permeable. Not EVERYONE in that area has it, and much less so in the general greater Boston area. Your kids will never come home sounding like the guys in Good Will Hunting. Stop worrying so much.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bublegum View Post
Hello All --

My kids are going to start school in a couple of years and we'll probably be looking in the South Shore for a house. Which towns in the South Shore are my kids least likely to pick up the Boston accent? To me, the accent is like fingernails on chalkboard, and I am extremely fearful that my kids will pick it up.

-BG

P.S.

Well, no. You're posting in the right forum because you are inquiring about living on the South Shore, not Boston.

As the previous poster indicated, not everyone has the accent. My kids don't because I don't - even though a few of their friends do. You are the biggest influence on your children, so you can correct them if you catch them dropping their R's.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG1284 View Post
If the accent bothers you that much, why are you moving there?

Also, the accent is not that permeable. Not EVERYONE in that area has it, and much less so in the general greater Boston area. Your kids will never come home sounding like the guys in Good Will Hunting. Stop worrying so much.
Yeah, I grew up in the deep south and don't have a bit of accent because both of my parents were transplants from the north. People don't believe I grew up where I did because "I don't have an accent". You don't have anything to worry about.

If you do want to worry, though, just pick somewhere rich where all the locals have been priced out and there are only transplants.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bublegum View Post
Hello All --

-BG

P.S.

What accent would you prefer them to have?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
I think picking up an accent would be the least of my concerns. How about worrying about learning to get along with others, listening to the teachers, completing homework on time, getting good grades and staying out of fights. If they "worst" they do is pick up an accent, then you have good kids and good parenting skills

Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 PM

404 posts, read 1,196,104 times
Bublegum (? spelling typo usually bubble has two b's-- well at least in MA) I totally agree with Holden 125. If you don't want your kids to have an accent perhaps you can home school them or send them to one of the local prep schools. For what it is worth, I have a degree from "Hah-vid", and I love my Boston accent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts