U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,851,139 times
Reputation: 4560

Advertisements

Heres my 2040 Rail and Transit plan for my Favorite New England State.
The Map , includes the rest of the Bos-Wash Corridor i couldn't zoom in since it was already created by my friend. I just added onto it and alot i did. Most of what is seen on this map is planned or on hold. Boston , Worcester , and Springfield are hub cities ,meaning 2 or more Railways terminate or meet in those cities. Springfield & Worcester are planning Bus Rapid Transit (similar MBTA Silver line) or streetcars to loop around there downtowns or extend out form there main Railway Station. I have missed a few lines in Western , i'll add those in later. I'll do the other cities Urban Transit plans later or when i find a decent plan.

True High Speed Rail 130-250mph
Commuter / Intercity Rail 50-120mph
Urban Rail > Subways , Light Rail , Bus Rapid Transit


The Italic Stations are the new ones


Boston South Station - Stoughton - spur to Falls River & New Bedford(2016)

Boston South Station - North Station Rail Connector

Boston North Station - Nashau,NH - Manchester,NH

Boston North Station - Fitchburgh - Wachusett


Boston North Station - Haverhill - Exter - Portland - Brunswick

New London - Oxoboro River - Norwich - Willimantic - Stafford Springs - Monson - Palmer

New London - Oxoboro River - Norwich - Jewett City - Danielson - Putnam Disrect -
Webster - Oxford
- Worcester

Boston South Station - Middleboro - Wareham Center - Buzzards Bay - Sandwich - Barnstable - Yarmouth

Boston South Station - Stoughton - North Easton - Raynham - Taunton - Fall River - Portsmouth - Newport

Providence Station - Pawtucket - Valley Falls - Manville - Woonsocket


Boston North Station - Springfield - Albany - Syracuse - Rochester - Buffalo - Hamilton - Toronto

New Haven - Hartford - Springfield - Montpelier - Burlington - Montreal


Boston Inner City Expansions

Blue Line Extension Northeast > Riverworks - Lynn

Blue Line Extension West > Charles/MGH


Green Line Extension > Lechmere - Brick Bottom - Gilman Square - Lowell Street - Ball Square - College Ave - Mystic Valley Parkway / Route 16

A Spur to Union Square along the Fitchburg line

Urban Ring BRT or Heavy Rail



So do you like it or is it not up to what you were hoping for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Quiet Corner Connecticut
1,335 posts, read 3,168,910 times
Reputation: 454
A lot of that would be great. We do need a more rail centered focus in New England, and it could take off well here compared to other parts of the country. However, I would like to see more interconnection rather than just hub and spoke much of it out of Boston. Have more cities connected to each other.

Some of them however, I'm not sure how exactly they'd work - like the extension of the Fitchburg line to Mount Wachusett. Right now there's a bus shuttle from either Fitchburg or Leominster to the mountain in ski season. If it went to Gardner, Athol, and Greenfield I could understand.

Then there's stuff like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
New London - Oxoboro River - Norwich - Jewett City - Danielson - Putnam District - Webster - Oxford - Worcester
Which would be rather nice, at least to me. I've heard a couple times this is being considered as a long term possibility, but nothing serious has been proposed. I would also add a station in the Grosvenordales and in Auburn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 08:10 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,851,139 times
Reputation: 4560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
A lot of that would be great. We do need a more rail centered focus in New England, and it could take off well here compared to other parts of the country. However, I would like to see more interconnection rather than just hub and spoke much of it out of Boston. Have more cities connected to each other.

Some of them however, I'm not sure how exactly they'd work - like the extension of the Fitchburg line to Mount Wachusett. Right now there's a bus shuttle from either Fitchburg or Leominster to the mountain in ski season. If it went to Gardner, Athol, and Greenfield I could understand.

Then there's stuff like:



Which would be rather nice, at least to me. I've heard a couple times this is being considered as a long term possibility, but nothing serious has been proposed. I would also add a station in the Grosvenordales and in Auburn.
Yes i agree with you that Mass needs to form other hub cities. Worcester and Springfield are good candidates for that. I forgot to add an extension of the Fitchburg line > Gardner , Baldwinville , Athol , Orange , Millers Falls , Greenfield. It would then be renamed the Greenfield line. The line is still in good shape and used by Freight a few times a day. Most of the lines in New England are still in good shape and used by Freight. But some Freight companies are closing down lines and shrinking. Those lines are bought up by Mass DOT or cities for future use for Commuter Rail. A few companies in Western and Central New England are looking to get back into the Passenger Rail business. Massachusetts seems to have a great future in Rail , the only thing that irks me is that it takes so long for things to get built up there. All the Boston and Eastern Mass Rail Restorations are set to be completed by 2020. Most of them will start construction after 2014 , why not now?

The Hub Cities for New England by 2030 will be Springfield , Worcester , Hartford , New London , New Haven , Providence , Stamford , Norwalk , and of course Boston. The New Inland Northeast Corridor should be built by 2025. New Haven - Hartford - Springfield - Worcester - North Station Boston , it would have a top speed of 140mph and by used by over 600 trains a day. Its needed since the other NEC beleave it or not will break capacity by 2030. So before that happens Amtrak , CTDOT , and MASSDOT will build this line. Which is mostly upgrading and grade separating the Worcester MBTA line. This line will serve as a inland spine for New England so restoring and building more lines will be easier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts & Hilton Head, SC
9,172 posts, read 14,228,406 times
Reputation: 7623
Did I miss something, or is there a reason you left out southern New Hampshire?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,851,139 times
Reputation: 4560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Did I miss something, or is there a reason you left out southern New Hampshire?
Only 1 line is planned that i can find , and thats the extension of the Lowell line > North Chelmsford - Tyngsborough - Nashua - Merrimack - Manchester Airport - Manchester

NH & VT have been the only 2 New England states that have been very slow and behind on there plans. There neighbors Maine , Quebec , Mass , and New York have been advancing there plans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 PM
 
5,817 posts, read 15,260,541 times
Reputation: 4713
Would be great to see a lot of this. I'm curious about whether all of this is eventually supposed to involve commuter rail and subway or light rail lines. I noticed that the line from North Station to Portland/Brunswick is listed without italics, meaning already in use, but that's Amtrak. It's good to have that Amtrak line, but I'm curious about what the mix between local or regional transit and Amtrak would be along these routes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,851,139 times
Reputation: 4560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Would be great to see a lot of this. I'm curious about whether all of this is eventually supposed to involve commuter rail and subway or light rail lines. I noticed that the line from North Station to Portland/Brunswick is listed without italics, meaning already in use, but that's Amtrak. It's good to have that Amtrak line, but I'm curious about what the mix between local or regional transit and Amtrak would be along these routes.
All these planned routes are commuter rail , with the exception of Downeaster / Lowell line & Boston North Station - Springfield - Albany - Syracuse - Rochester - Buffalo - Hamilton - Toronto / Worcester line. All of Amtrak's line in New England are profitable. It seems that the Fitchburg line due to growing ridership will be restored back to Gardner by the Fall of 2011. Springfield & Worcester are the only Mass cities with plans for connecting Rail Transit. Streetcars and Light Rail are planned i don't have the exact maps and i don't think its a solid plan atm. Springfield's plan might come out soon since the New line up form New Haven will begin construction next year. The Housatonic Railroad might reopen a line between Danbury,CT to Pittsfield,MA to Passenger service could be up and running by the end of the decade. And a friend said the company might restore Passenger Service on its other lines. Beacon,NY to Shelton,CT via Danbury. Theres a few other proposed lines i forgot to add. By 2030 ridership on most lines will be 20,000. The Next Question is how many lines will be electrified? The MBTA is the largest Commuter Rail agency in the Bos-Wash corridor that does not use Electric locos on its Electric line or have any plans to Electrify busy lines. I know Amtrak plans on Electrifying alot in New England.

Worcester - North Worcester - Clinton - Lancaster - Ayer

Danbury - Brookfield - New Milford - Kent,CT - Great Barrington, MA - Lee - Pittsfield
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Quiet Corner Connecticut
1,335 posts, read 3,168,910 times
Reputation: 454
I believe Metro North is considering an extension of the Danbury line to New Milford, plus electrifying that entire branch. But I never heard anything about one all the way to Pittsfield.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
 
5,817 posts, read 15,260,541 times
Reputation: 4713
Regarding the last item in the original post, "Urban ring BRT or heavy rail," do you happen to know what the route would be? It would be great if there were some kind of transit connection going crosstown, rather than the current arrangement where many trips on the T require going into downtown and then back out on another subway line.

It all depends on the likely demand, but if there were likely to be enough demand to justify it, I'd love to see commuter rail lines through the suburbs that would follow routes similar to those of the outer belt highways. It would be very useful, for example, to be able to take the train directly from the South Shore to the western suburbs, instead of having to ride into South Station and then back out of the city on another line.

Along the lines of outer belt rail routes, excuse me if I missed this, but I don't think I saw any proposal for a rail connection between Providence and Worcester. This could be useful, and would form essentially the southern section of an outer, outer belt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,851,139 times
Reputation: 4560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I believe Metro North is considering an extension of the Danbury line to New Milford, plus electrifying that entire branch. But I never heard anything about one all the way to Pittsfield.
The Housatonic Railroad owns the line between Danbury and Pittsfield and there looking into how expensive it would be to operate service on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Regarding the last item in the original post, "Urban ring BRT or heavy rail," do you happen to know what the route would be? It would be great if there were some kind of transit connection going crosstown, rather than the current arrangement where many trips on the T require going into downtown and then back out on another subway line.

It all depends on the likely demand, but if there were likely to be enough demand to justify it, I'd love to see commuter rail lines through the suburbs that would follow routes similar to those of the outer belt highways. It would be very useful, for example, to be able to take the train directly from the South Shore to the western suburbs, instead of having to ride into South Station and then back out of the city on another line.

Along the lines of outer belt rail routes, excuse me if I missed this, but I don't think I saw any proposal for a rail connection between Providence and Worcester. This could be useful, and would form essentially the southern section of an outer, outer belt.

Not exactly the MBTA seems to be secretive with that. They seem to be leaning towards BRT but with a ridership they projected and the pricetag Heavy Rail similar to the Blue line would be a better choice. Form what i heard the MBTA has a Bus Rapid Transit Fetish , it started will that terrible thing you call the Silver line and it seems it will continue. It looks like there slowly restoring the lines East to West and South to North. Western Massachusetts will need to wait form CT to send some lines up , but eventually it will get there. Ridership seems to be growing rapidly on each line. I couldn't find a line that ran form Providence to Worcester. There is a plan by RIDOT to restore service to Woonsocket. There are also plans to build a light rail / streetcar network in and around providence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top