Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 24,952 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking to buy a home in Essex County, preferably a newer home (built after 2000) or new construction. We are considering Georgetown, Rowley, and Groveland. We'd appreciate any info on these towns (ie. commute to Boston, school systems, children friendly... etc). We currently live in the city and are looking for something much more rural. Since we dont know much about these towns, any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 01:14 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,638,902 times
I like Georgetown best. It has a little downtown and good access to 95. I like the fact the schools aren't regional. Rowley would be my 2nd pick because it's closer to the water.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,671 times
We have been looking in the same areas ... also Ipswich, Boxford and Amesbury. Have you considered those towns?

Of Georgetown, Rowley and Groveland ... Georgetown is closest to 95 and therefore probably gets you to Boston faster. Schools are good for all three. Georgetown has a nice park with a fenced in playground, clean bathrooms and a beach.

How old are your kids?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,400,513 times
Try Essex or Ipswich Mass. Ipswich has great schools
Essex and Ispwich Clam shacks right there like Woodmans, the beverly North Shore music theater isn't far away , North Shore Mall is in the area. Also Cape Ann is close by. Gloucester/Salem, etc.
I might also suggest Amesbury, Salisbury, Newbury or Newburyport, possibly West Newbury or Merrimac.
Georegtown/Rowley are nice too...

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,119 times
Can I ask where did you end up moving? We are more than likely going to relocate and have been looking at similar towns - Georgetown, Methuen, Andover, etc... We currently reside in Lincoln, NE but my husband works for a company out of Danvers and we are looking into relocating. Any information is helpful.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 AM

50 posts, read 252,208 times
Any of these towns mentioned are nice, except possibly not a huge fan of Methuen. It seems run-down, more industrialized, and depressed. Rowley, Ipswich, Essex would be my 1st choices, but my priorities might be different than yours. Topsfield would not be a bad choice either and might be the easiest commute into Boston. Boxford is a pretty quick shot onto 95 too.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,901,678 times
NE2MA, it looks like many of these folks are no longer posting here on City-Data. Working out of Danvers, you would most likely want to lean toward towns that are convenient to Route 95 and Route 1. Georgetown, Groveland, West Newbury, Byfield, Topsfield are all very nice towns that would fit that criteria. However, they can be in the upper end of pricing, and moving from the midwest, I"m sure you'll experience a bit of sticker shock (I sure did!!) Methuen is a more blue-collar city, with some urban fringe (being located next to Lawrence. Andover would be a decent commute to Danvers via Route 114, and easy to get to Boston as well (though not from a commuter's standpoint--Rte 93 resembles a parking lot for "rush hour" each day. I'm sure you'll have lots more questions, and City Data is a great place to ask and get answers from those who live and work in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts