U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM

297 posts, read 311,034 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those who makes a every-couple-of-weeks run to MB even though it's not in my area. That says it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM

2,152 posts, read 2,368,969 times
Well, guess I will be giving them a try then- either the one that just opened in New Bedford or will be driving to Raynham?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 AM

13 posts, read 31,146 times
Wegmans is coming to Northborough next year! As an upstate New York transplant, I am super psyched.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 AM

Ugh, really?! I have heard AWESOME things about Wegmans! Too bad Northborough is too far of a drive for me for groceries

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM

131 posts, read 241,486 times
Market Basket has the best prices around. It doesn't have the nice produce or seafood or bakery selection that Hannaford does, but you really can't beat the prices

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 31,146 times
Yep they are coming next fall to Northborough. Also read they are planning a site in Westwood. Northborough is only about 20 minutes from me so I will definitely be shopping there! It's worth the trip IMO.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Ok.. trying to find exact address for MB in New Bedford (to plug into TomTom) or even a phone number is next to impossible....
Northborough is 1hr 8mins-1hr 20min from me one way according to googlemaps. With a fulltime job and a toddler, that is a little bit further than what I want to drive for groceries.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM

74 posts, read 95,358 times
Default MB is ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Market Basket has the best prices around. It doesn't have the nice produce or seafood or bakery selection that Hannaford does, but you really can't beat the prices
Grew up in Middlesex County, MB was for a time, the only real choice, with the exception of Purity at the Royal Ridge Mall. It is what everyone in that area grew up on.

The quoted comment says it all. I have several friends and family members who worked at DeMoulas/Market Basket growing up. The model and motto is "More for your dollar" and this is true. To achieve this, they may not carry as wide of a variety as Stop & Shop, etc. The deli, bakery, produce are ok. They are not the same quality as S&S, etc, which carry Boar's Head, etc, and have better bakeries.

As an example, think of something like Pop Tarts or Eggo Waffles. They may have the three or four best selling flavors consistently, and a few others from time to time. But they will not always have those other flavors.

When we lived up there, I would joke that I wouldn't get too attached to something I found at MB, as it may not always be there.

The fact that they are always busy does help with the rotation of food, so it doesn't sit there as long.

And this is just me, but I actually found you couldn't really "stock up" as the shelf life of many products is not as far out as other stores.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 9,442,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Ok.. trying to find exact address for MB in New Bedford (to plug into TomTom) or even a phone number is next to impossible....
Northborough is 1hr 8mins-1hr 20min from me one way according to googlemaps. With a fulltime job and a toddler, that is a little bit further than what I want to drive for groceries.
It must not be posted yet. 45 Coggeshall Street is the 7-Eleven that's in the same plaza. Use 45 Coggeshall Street, New Bedford MA as an address and it'll take you there. The entrance to the parking lot is just before the 7-Eleven (you can't miss it, they're both on the left). There's a McDonald's Just before the entrance too. Across from the Entrance is the on-ramp to I-195 West.

As far as your work commute goes though, the location in Raynham might be more convenient for you. Check this address 240 Broadway, Raynham, MA and see what you think.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Ok, went to the one in Raynham, MA. Was CRAZY packed! The prices were ok, but nothing that I think warranted the massive amount of people there, especially the meat prices- they seemed to be on par with the other local stores I have been to. I will say that the quality of the veggies and fruits was excellent and I will be returning often to stock up

I was also very happy to see the coffee maker I really want to buy there for 30$ cheaper than anywhere else I have seen it. Will be back in a few days to buy it if still there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts