U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 PM

125 posts, read 118,565 times
Default Parking near New Bedford courthouse?

I have jury duty coming up soon at the Superior Court in New Bedford. I am not familiar with New Bedford at all and am wondering about parking near the court. Are there any parking garages or is it all street parking?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 PM

5,268 posts, read 8,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
I have jury duty coming up soon at the Superior Court in New Bedford. I am not familiar with New Bedford at all and am wondering about parking near the court. Are there any parking garages or is it all street parking?
Thanks.
Yeah, that area is kind of a pain. If you're looking at a map, the courthouse is right at the intersection of County and Union Streets (the address is on County, I believe). I would suggest getting there early. The two big parking garages near that are still a bit of a walk. There's the Elm Street Garage and the Zeiterion Garage, but they are about 5-7 blocks away (Elm is further). It's a safe walk (quite pleasant, really) up Union St, but if you don't feel like walking it's not much fun.

The good news is that the courthouse is a little bit out of downtown so there is street parking with no meters right there. Be careful though. County Street is the dividing line for the meters on Union Street. The street parking on Union Street to the WEST (away from downtown) of County St. are non-metered and free for parking (it's pretty easy to grab a spot if you're a little early too). On Union Street To the EAST (towards downtown and the waterfront) of County, there are meters and New Bedford is notoriously fast with the tickets. Good news is a meter violation in NB is only $10 and if you appeal it saying you were on jury duty (with proof, of course) they generally drop it for you. Still, that's not a sure thing. I know this because I've had the same situation happen (I brilliantly assumed I'd be out of there in less than 2 hrs. I was wrong).

I'd say your best bet is to try and find parking on Union St to the West of County as it's free and relatively easy. Even side streets just off of union should have spots (they're also free). If you can't get a spot on union, look at Orchard or Cottage Streets. It's a pretty safe area right there (nice older homes and good people) so your car will be fine.

good luck!

*Edit*
There is a small lot in front of the courthouse, but it fills up fast. If you're early, you can give it a shot. I'm almost positive it's free if you're there for jury duty.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM

125 posts, read 118,565 times
Thank you so much! This info is very helpful.
How early do you think I'd need to arrive to have a decent chance of getting parking on Union Street or in the court lot? I have to be there at 8am so I was going to try to be there to get a spot at 7:15ish.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 PM

5,268 posts, read 8,559,082 times
I think 7:15 is perfect. Maybe a little earlier than you need to be there. Still it will give you time to be flexible if you need to be. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts