Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 16,372 times

Advertisements

I was recently there for a job interview and liked what I saw. In the city and the suburbs.
I read all the posts about the mixed feelings that people have for Worcester but I wonder why.
It seemed like a perfect small "big" city !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM

325 posts, read 924,942 times
You must be from Detroit

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
I love the west side of Worcester. We used to live on Institute Rd. west of Park Ave and it was such a nice area. I loved walking down tree lined streets and gazing at all the older homes. They were all so well kept & tended to. I wouldn't mind living there again, but I'm concerned about the schools. My oldest is in 1st grade. I know there are some very good schools in the area so if I could be sure to buy a house that was in a particular school district I would be all for it. Great value in Worcester homes.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM

88 posts, read 233,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen.abc View Post
I was recently there for a job interview and liked what I saw. In the city and the suburbs.
I read all the posts about the mixed feelings that people have for Worcester but I wonder why.
It seemed like a perfect small "big" city !
Worcester's low opinion of itself far surpasses any opinions from the rest of New England, and in that it's own citizens are it's greatest enemy. The majority of professionals who grew up in Worcester don't seem to really actually enjoy dense Northeat style city living which is why so many end up buying over on the West Side, where there is barely a trace of commerce.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a perfect small city, because lord knows it has it's problems, most of which are citizen derived, but you are correct in your assesment that there seems to be no reason for the hate.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

235 posts, read 510,607 times
Worcester has really improved a lot over the last 15 years. I really like the "new" culture of Worcester.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

No I am not from Detroit
...But have seen Detroit ...and no offense to anyone from there, Worcester seems nicer.
And its interesting that its own citizens should bad-mouth the city !

Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
I lived in the suburb of Worcester: Shrewsbury, for 7 years now and I love it! Worcester is a peculiar city, you got all those factories and stuff near the Greendale mall next to the highway and then you got just random paved areas around shrewsbury street and scatterd around the city. One thing I love about Worcester is that its Diner City! Diners were invented in Worcester, I suggest that when you go to Worcester you take a visit to Boulevard Diner. Its Beautiful

Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion !
Where would you say is the shopping area?
Malls? Outlet malls ? etc
Excluding , of course, Boston .

Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM

88 posts, read 233,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen.abc View Post
Thanks for the suggestion !
Where would you say is the shopping area?
Malls? Outlet malls ? etc
Excluding , of course, Boston .
Shopping is real hard to come by, especially in the city, depending on what you are looking for. Blackstone Shoppes just over the line in Millbury, Solomon Pond Mall in Marlborough. There are some cool Mom and Pop stores but they are scattered about the city.

What type of shops are you looking for?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
Greendale mall

Its got:
TJ Maxx
Best Buy
Foot Locker
Gamestop

and a bunch other stores I cant remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts