Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 21,827 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I have lived in Mississippi all my life and now that a friend of mine has offered to let me live with her in Burlington, MA until I can get on my feet, I'm planning to relocate there the beginning of next year. I'm 24, a single parent of one child and I have no idea how Massachusetts will differ from the South. I'm sure Burlington is quite expensive so where is a less expensive place to live? Are there many African Americans in Massachusetts? Is there a lot to do? Where should I apply for jobs? How soon should I apply for jobs? Are there nice day cares there? I need advice! Someone, anyone, HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
It' s probably best to have your friend fill in some of these details, but I can help a little..

There are plenty of African-Americans in the Boston area, but not nearly the same percentage as in Mississippi, and most likely very few in suburban Burlington..

The cost of living is MUCH higher here in MA, so be prepared; hopefully you'll have some savings to tide you over...

If you're planning on moving in January, you'd better start the job search now..

Be prepared for the differences in climate; the summers will warm, with occasional hot weather, but not to the extent as in Mississippi, while the winters here will be cold and snowy..

We do have a large and extensive public transit system here; use it whenever possible..

Just for a start..

Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Thank you!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
Burlington is a place you will likely need a car and then deal with MA drivers. Good luck. Dress warm. Smile and people do smile back.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
No we have no African-Americans to speak of. We are all Irish and Catholic, and also burn witches in our spare time. Bring some warm coats because you will need them even in July. The Departed is a true story, and if the Kennedys aren't divine to you you better rethink that upon arrival!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I think MassVT summed things up well. However, even though the Boston area on the whole has good public transit, Cwaggy makes a good point about the fact that Burlington is not served by public transit.

Regarding the black population in MA, the big difference you'll notice when compared to MS is that the black population here is concentrated in various local areas, often in more urban areas. There is not the large black population all across the state that you're used to in MS.

One difference you may notice compared to what you're likely accustomed to is that people here are not always as outwardly friendly toward strangers as people tend to be in the South. You'll encounter all kinds of individuals, but generally speaking, people here do not engage in a lot of friendly chitchat with strangers out in public. A lot of people here feel they have to get to know you some before they're comfortable opening up and being really friendly.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM

lol, ok, thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

btw, what is the departed???

Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM

24 posts, read 64,353 times
Hi usmboundgirl,
I moved to Central Mass a couple months ago, having lived in both upstate NY and Pennsylvania. I was worried by all of these stories about New Englanders being unfriendly...I have to say I have not encountered this at all! I have made conversation with plenty of strangers in the grocery store, out to eat, etc. Now I've never lived in the South, so I don't know exactly how much it will be different, but no need to worry. People are very nice here!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmboundgirl View Post
btw, what is the departed???
The Departed is a movie from about 2006 about the treachery of gangsters and corrupt cops in South Boston.

A state trooper is secretly working for the local organized crime boss, while another state trooper has infiltrated the boss's inner circle and is terrified he'll be found out and killed. Boston comes across as a super-violent and corrupt place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts