Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what cell service do you prefer
AT&T 4 25.00%
Verizon 9 56.25%
Sprint 3 18.75%
T-Mobile 0 0%
Boost Mobile 0 0%
Tracfone or other pre paid 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times

Advertisements

just doing a little unscientific survey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM

We use Sprint,for me their family everything plan gets me the most bang for my buck. And i have nothing bad to say about their service or reception. The only place i can recall not getting any service is in St Johnsbury VT. And the new HTC EVO is really and incredible phone.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I prefer AT&T. For now.

I'll be honest about it, I switched over to AT&T a few years back for the iPhone and only th iPhone. I previously had Verizon and felt the coverage to be excellent. Slightly better than what I have right now with AT&T.

AT&T bugs me with the 3g coverage. It's spotty. It also gets bogged down quite a bit in major metros. Sometimes it's slow in Boston, but when I'm in New York or San Francisco (frequently), it's painfully slow. Still, they have the iPhone and no one else does.

Here's why I say, "for now." The iPhone is what brought me to AT&T. At the time (about 3.5 years ago), there was simply no phone on the market that could do what the iPhone did. It was sleek, fun and incredibly useful (i still use it to book flights, get directions, book hotels, play games, get news, etc, etc, etc). Well, other companies have caught up. I've played with some of the Droids from Verizon and read up on them and they're as capable (if not more so) than my iPhone. Also, Verizon's getting the iPhone soon too (for real, no longer just a rumor).

To be fair, AT&T is FAR superior to Verizon when traveling internationally. My Verizon phones were essentially pretty flashlights in other counties (excluding Canada). AT&T works almost everywhere. You have to be careful because you are charged premiums, but it's nice to have a working phone. Domestically VZ is better.

I think I'm going to make my way back to VZ when my contract is up next June. They have cool phones which can compete with my iPhone and they MAY even have the iPhone by then. I know they're not as great internationally, but I'm abroad about .05% of the time. Not really a significant issue. Finally, as I am [slowly] making the transition from student to professional, I'm starting to feel the limitations of the iPhone and a pure touch screen and limited battery. I'm sending more emails and making more work-related calls than I ever have before and it's taking its toll on my iPhone. I actually have a battery "case" that doubles my battery life. I end up using it every day almost. It MAY be time to cave and get a Blackberry. If I want a Droid type phone, VZ will have me covered. If I want a Blackberry, VZ's got it. Eventually, if I want an iPhone, VZ will have it too.

Right now, AT&T is getting it done for me and I'm happy. The tide's turning though and I bet I have a different answer in 9 months.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I used to have AT&T and i had the same issues with the 3g service even here in Springfield at times and also in Hartford. And then my company must have gotten a sweatheart deal through Sprint and they switched over. Although i am not required to have a cell for work if i do and make the # available on the company directory they give us 45% off the monthly bill.

At first i was very leery on going to a company i had heard nothing good about. But was pleasantly surprised with their coverage and 3g speeds. I have the HTC EVO and the speed of the phone kills my old Iphone on the 3g network,and the 4g speed is incredibly fast IMHO.(wish it was 4g in SPFLD)

And just a little side note,with VZ you can get the blackberry tour. It is a dual band gsm/cdma phone so it can work on all networks. If you go to europe just buy a pre paid card with a sim and use their service and save yourself those international fees.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 95,226 times
I have been with Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile and I can honestly say the only company out of those three that I don't mind dealing with is Sprint. T-Mobile has a lot of hidden charges and from my experiences I had low service bars consistently. AT&T was too pricey due to internet being charged seperately. Verizon I never tried because it always was too expensive due to texting and data packages coming seperate. Sprint I always have service, very rarely do I have no service, plans are all reasonably priced with data packages and texting usually included.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

i hear you on Sprint,i always had heard bad things about them through word of mouth. But in my expieriance with them it has been nothing but great. always have service,the plans are great and they have a good selection of phones. I actually get service out in some parts of the berkshires that my buddies with AT&T get absolutely nothing.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Have Sprint and have no problems here- we actually haven't even switched over our numbers or anything since moving into the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts