U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,662 times
Default Relocating To Mass...recommendations??

I am relocating from North Carolina to Mass in December. I am working in Framingham and would like to live along 495 if possible. I have a dog who is right about 50 pounds. Anyone have suggestions of places to live or good websites to look? I know pretty much zero about the area. I am fresh out of college so income is limited. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:50 PM

4,988 posts, read 3,985,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntswede View Post
I am relocating from North Carolina to Mass in December. I am working in Framingham and would like to live along 495 if possible. I have a dog who is right about 50 pounds. Anyone have suggestions of places to live or good websites to look? I know pretty much zero about the area. I am fresh out of college so income is limited. Thanks!
If you're going to work in Framingham, then you should live in Framingham, which is one of the less-expensive cities in the greater Boston metro area; just make sure that you're living in one of the decent sections...

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 AM

1,439 posts, read 596,029 times
I'm actually looking to rent a place in Framingham. Where are the bad sections to avoid? Where are the good?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 AM

5,158 posts, read 8,289,245 times
There aren't any really bad sections of Framingham, just some areas where the houses are kind of old and faded. The residential streets adjacent to downtown have a population of immigrants, Brazilian if I'm not mistaken, so for that reason alone some people may view this area as a ghetto, but it's really not. The main drawback to downtown Framingham is that it's dead as a commercial district, with the local economy being centered on the malls around rt. 9.

Generally, north of rt. 9 Framingham has a typically middle-class suburban look, with some rather affluent neighborhoods in the northwestern part of town. South of rt. 9 and north of downtown the aesthetic quality of the housing improves from east to west. Roughly east of Concord St. a lot of the housing looks a bit faded. Between Concord and Union the housing is just kind of average. West of Union are some nice middle-class neighborhoods.

Since there aren't any really bad neighborhoods in Framingham, what I'd say is the first concern about renting in F'ham is that you'll most likely do well to avoid renting from small-time local landlords. There seems to be a tight good ol' boy network in F'ham. If you rent from small-time landlords you run the risk of having a landlord who feels protected by being part of the local network, and therefore feels free to mistreat tenants. As far as neighborhoods go, however, some are nicer than others, but there are no really bad neighborhoods in Framingham.

Burntswede, what's your housing budget like? That info could help narrow down the towns near Framingham that would have abundant housing within your budget.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

I can spend $1000 max. I have been looking at places along 495 such as Bellingham and Franklin (they have both been recommended to me as nice places). They seem to be the only places I can find that have places available in my price range and allow dogs as well. (shes 50 pounds soooo it limits my options greatly haha)

Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM

160 posts, read 255,996 times
I would add Westborough, Ashland and Natick to your list. They are nice towns with better commutes to Framingham and I think you can find something in your price-range. They may be a little better socially as well for a recent-grad. since they are all off route 9 which has a lot of restaurants / bars etc.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM

5,158 posts, read 8,289,245 times
Good suggestions by Sblumberg. I don't know anything about where you're likely to find properties where they'll be okay with your dog, but if you find something there that works, Natick is an especially nice town. Other towns I might suggest would be Hudson and Marlborough. You might not find a lot going on in either town, particularly Hudson, but the housing costs are modest for this area.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Do you guys have any suggestions of websites to use to search? or any realtors who are reliable and wont try to rip me off??

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM

31 posts, read 48,149 times
Marlboro isn't that bad either and is right along 495

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM

13 posts, read 16,120 times
The Realtors in that area aren't really bad as far as ripping you off goes, they're just lazy about getting you what you need when it actually comes to buying. However, since you're renting it might not be as bog of a problem. Not sure of any specific websites, but you could Google "Apartment Locator" or "Apartment Finder" and I think they actually have a website for both of those services. Or go to Realtor.com and search for rentals in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts