U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

218 posts, read 275,013 times

Advertisements

I may be transferred to Western MA and want to get some advice from the forum.

Here is where I stand-
I can spend up to $650k, but would prefer to stay at $600k or less. I have twin 4 year old boys and a 1 year old girl. Schools are very important. My wife and I have only bought new construction and greatly prefer to do so again, but we are open to a resale that meets all of our needs. Want a nice family focused newer neighborhood.

We drove out that way and looked in Southwick and Granby, CT. Although we like Granby a little better from our short time, we did love a community called "The Ranch" in Southwick, it is a gold community that is gated.

I would be traveling from Pittsfield to the Oxford/Auburn area and everywhere in between so I want to live close to the middle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM

999 posts, read 1,382,200 times
If you want to stay close to the highway i would recomend Longmeadow or East Longmeadow. You won't find to much in the way of new construction but the homes in these to towns are all well kept. Southwick seems to far out of the way from much of anything although it is growing rapidly.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 19,341 times
Northampton Massachusetts is an amazing town. Amherst may have better schools though.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM

237 posts, read 489,632 times
$600K will get you a pretty nice house in Western Mass. Northampton is a lively desirable town with good schools and a geat place for Kids. Lots of bike paths, Look park, vibrant downtown, arts and culture. Longmeadow is nice, but kind of a boring bedroom community.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, greatly appreciated. I got a call today, looks like this is going to happen, just waiting on some final paperwork. Hopefully no glitches come up I am looking forward to living in Western MA.

I will look into Northhampton, have not done so yet.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,223,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
. I have twin 4 year old boys and a 1 year old girl. Schools are very important. My wife and I have only bought new construction and greatly prefer to do so again, but we are open to a resale that meets all of our needs. Want a nice family focused newer neighborhood.
I don't think Northampton is what you are looking for.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM

It seems like the schools in CT just over the border are much better than MA, Simsbury, Suffield, and Granby. I may come drive around over the weekend and get a better feel for the area.

I know the Great Schools and School Matters sites are not the end all be all, but seems like a pretty big difference.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 AM

999 posts, read 1,382,200 times
Just bear in mind that it is more expensive to live in CT than it is Wmass and if you are drawing a paycheck out of mass and live in CT you will have to pay income tax to both states. And out of the 3 towns you listed only Suffield is within close proximity to highway access.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Just bear in mind that it is more expensive to live in CT than it is Wmass and if you are drawing a paycheck out of mass and live in CT you will have to pay income tax to both states. And out of the 3 towns you listed only Suffield is within close proximity to highway access.
Good to know

I was under the assumption you pay both taxes, but you get the difference back come tax time. I will have to look at that further.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,330,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
This doesn't sound right, you either pay the higher tax, I think that is MA which is 5.5% vs. 5% CT, or you get a refund.

Income tax is higher in MA, but property taxes are much higher in CT.

I would go to Simsbury if you want schools, western ma schools are not even in the same league. Grandby CT schools are not good.

But property taxes on a 600K house would be about 9K-10K in CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts