Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,944 times

Advertisements

I will begin a new job in Jan., working primarily in Salem and Beverly, but sometimes in Peabody, and occasionally Lowell. We will have a son entering 10th grade and a daughter entering 7th grade at the time of the move. We have looked at towns from Andover to Beverly. Many of the towns seem nice. We would like to live in a town with a sense of community. Does anyone have suggestions of towns North of Boston? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,159,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfaceri View Post
I will begin a new job in Jan., working primarily in Salem and Beverly, but sometimes in Peabody, and occasionally Lowell. We will have a son entering 10th grade and a daughter entering 7th grade at the time of the move. We have looked at towns from Andover to Beverly. Many of the towns seem nice. We would like to live in a town with a sense of community. Does anyone have suggestions of towns North of Boston? Thanks!
Since no one answered you, I will. Having a freshman going into high school I would recommend Swampscott,Marblehead and then Reading in that order. Peabody and Beverly do not have the best in schools, in my opinion, but these other towns seem to. We are moving from California and are hoping to find a rental in Marblehead...I say hoping because we have dogs. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,219,073 times
I really like Manchester By-The-Sea.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,747,664 times
I'm not being racist, but avoid Swampscott and Manchester(-by-the-sea) if you're African American. They were unofficial sundown towns even as recently as the 1970s, so you can be sure that feeling still exists w/the locals today, just 1 generation later.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM

702 posts, read 3,003,759 times
Seems to be an outdated view. The 70s are over 30 years ago, what city is still the same as they were in 3 decades? You would think then they would vote overwhelmingly republican in the last governors election. Both towns voted Patrick over Healey.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,747,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Seems to be an outdated view. The 70s are over 30 years ago, what city is still the same as they were in 3 decades? You would think then they would vote overwhelmingly republican in the last governors election. Both towns voted Patrick over Healey.
When talking about cities, of course there's a lot of change over 30 years. But when talking about small towns, change CAN happen -- but that's not the case with Manchester. Look at the census numbers -- in 2000, Manchester had 3 black residents. THREE! Swampscott may have come around a little bit -- I don't live there nor do I have the desire to visit. I'm just relaying what I have heard about the towns. Of course, none of this even matters if the OP doesn't care.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM

45 posts, read 180,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
... I don't live there nor do I have the desire to visit. I'm just relaying what I have heard about the towns. Of course, none of this even matters if the OP doesn't care.
You have never lived there and by your own admission you dont visit there...yet you have no problem condemning a town based on a view from more than 30 years ago (and I debate that someone who doesnt know the town of which they speak is indeed a reliable source of it's history)

Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,138 times
Default I beg to differ

Chunky Monkey...I find your assumption the voting Republican is an indication of racism outrageous and offensive. Is supporting individual rights and individual responsibility racist? Or is supporting a party which attempts to keep generations of minority families dependent on government programs, requiring them to come on bended knee to people like Teddy Kennedy in order to receive thier handouts.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 PM

639 posts, read 3,518,785 times
Fishfaceri, Your poor thread and question is getting lost because it's turning in to a huge debate here with these posters, yikes! Let's see if we can try to get this back on track here for you, if I can.

I think if you are going to be working in Peabody AND in Lowell some times? You could live further up the North Shore in the town of Newburyport, which definitely has a sense of community which is what you're looking for. Amesbury is quite nice too, so check those towns out. The reason why I'm saying these two towns to you? You can reach Peabody in no time via I-95, it's a straight run down the highway in 25 minutes you'd be there if not less and also if you have to get up to Lowell? You can get over to I-495 in no time from Newburyport or Amesbury quicker than down around Cape Anne to get to the City of Lowell. So think about that when you're looking for a place to live.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 PM

202 posts, read 581,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfaceri View Post

What is your price range? There are plenty of great towns in the area that would work for you, but it does depend on your budget. I have two sisters in Georgetown, one actually just moved there and her reason was the school system there is very good. She is a teacher so I do respect her opinion when she judges the systems.
I have another friend who just moved to Beverly, I do not know about the school system but she loves her neighborhood and the whole area. Hamliton is a good town as is Wenham, but you do pay to live there. I grew up in Lynnfield and the schools there are still wonderful, but Lynnfield is a clicky town and it is hard for some to adjust to it.
Knowing what you can spend would help narrow your search down quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts