Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,472 times

Advertisements

Greetings! We're a young family moving from Salt Lake City to some undetermined town in the Metrowest / Central Mass region. My job will be based in Marlborough and we'd like to live 20 to 30 minutes from my job---unfortanately---that has cast a very large net--- and I don't even know how to start narrowing down the list to something more manageable. I'm willing to have a longer commute for "more" home, but there may be some great towns pretty close to Marlborugh. Here's some info about us.

Young family w/ 2 kids (ages 8 and 3). Our 2 most important criteria are a good, public elementary school and living in a town/neighborhood with younger families. My wife would like to live somewhere with decent access (10 to 15 min?) to grocery stores, pre-school and activities for kids (sports programs, parks, outdoor life, library).

We could spend $350 to $500K on a home. We're hoping to come out and visit these areas in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much for your input--. I hope it brings you some good karma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,405 times
There are several good options within a short drive of Marlboro. I'd start with Sudbury, which has very highly rated schools, tons of community activities, sports programs, parks, a nice library, good shops, and more. You can definately get a home in that price range there but it depends what type/size/age/amenities you're looking for. Southboro is also similar but also has good train & highway access, although it has fewer shops right in town.

Other towns with similar attributes where you can get more house for your money include Northboro as well as Holliston & Hopkinton.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Shrewsbury might also be worth a look as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
Sudbury and Southborough have the least amount of options in your price range.

I'd start with Northborough and Hopkinton.

The entire area is great for families, preschools, outdoor activities, and stuff for children. Shopping and access to groceries/shopping is fantastic.

You really can't go wrong.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Shrewsbury offers the most "bang for the buck".

Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like I have a pretty good feel for Shrewsbury, the North/South/Westburo's, Hopkinton, etc.

2 more followup questions: What is Holliston like as a town (size, feel, etc)? We've also heard Grafton mentioned a few times. I don't hear much about them on the boards here. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Holliston is low-density leafy suburban with a town center that has some small basic kinds of stores. Nice town, with good schools. The only reason I can think of that Holliston and neighboring Hopkinton don't have higher housing prices than they do is that they are not in the best locations for access to main roads into Boston, though Hopkinton is well located for a commute along 495.

Grafton I don't know so well. From what I've heard here and there, it's another nice town, also a low-density, woodsy kind of town, which has seen a lot of growth in the past ten years or so from yuppies moving to McMansions in the suburbs. It's my understanding that this does mean that there are some new McMansion subdivisions, but outside of these the town in general has a nice established character.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM

312 posts, read 867,574 times
People move to Hudson MA specifically for the schools- that is per the realtor who sold my home there...
In fact, that neighborhood was just as you described- lots of young families, walkable, close drive to shopping and activities. Also close to major routes like 495, Rtes 2 and 9, and the Mass Pike. Mass General and the Science Museum are about an hour give or take due to the traffic...

It is also a town where your specific budget will go a lot further!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:08 PM

278 posts, read 702,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Shrewsbury offers the most "bang for the buck".
I agree with this.

Also, the taxes in Shrewsbury are a bit lower than the surrounding towns like Westboro, Northboro, etc...

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Ogre's right about Grafton in that there are some established neighborhoods plus a lot of big new developments. There's a new high school being built and there's a commuter rail station in town. It's a real mix - parts feel very quaint and rural and parts are more developed.

Re: Holliston, it's a lovely town with an award-winning school system, a French immersion program in the elementary schools, and a quaint town center that now has a small selection of boutiques, a general store, cafe, tennis courts, playground, etc. I live near there and really like Holliston. It's a bit more of a pain to get to the Mass Pike or Rt 495 from there than from Hopkinton or Westboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts