U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM

137 posts, read 125,629 times
Default For people who have left Massachussetts...

...why did you leave? And where are you going?

We want to move there from Maryland...Massachusetts seems like the perfect state to us. Liberal, cultural, beautiful, religious diversity, lots of jobs, good schools, good healthcare, economic stability...

Just wondering about the people who are leaving, maybe we're missing out on looking at other places because we have decided that Massachusetts is perfect. I know no place is perfect.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM

37 posts, read 10,022 times
After 40 years in MA I left last year. I wish I had done it sooner. The winter weather was pretty in my younger days but I got tired of shoveling, and shoveling and ice chipping my life away just to be able to get out of my own driveway, not to mention the horrendous heat bill. I now live in the Carolina's and it's beautiful and a much better life. Not only the weather, but the cost of living is a lot cheaper and affords a better standard of living. MA is one of the most expensive states in the North to live in. They even fine people for every day health insurance lapses. Unless you live in a select few towns, the school suck. JMHO

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling357 View Post
...why did you leave? And where are you going?

We want to move there from Maryland...Massachusetts seems like the perfect state to us. Liberal, cultural, beautiful, religious diversity, lots of jobs, good schools, good healthcare, economic stability...

Just wondering about the people who are leaving, maybe we're missing out on looking at other places because we have decided that Massachusetts is perfect. I know no place is perfect.

I'm wanting to leave but this economy is making it hard to relocate with the lack of jobs out there. Looking to go out West,most likely Az.Like the previous poster I'm sick of the long dragged out winters,below zero temps,high heating bills,high property taxes and all the anti gun Liberals!

As far as good health care I guess that's true if you don't mind paying the HIGHEST premiums in the country because there's very little choice in companies and you're now paying for crack head Johnny's health care because the Govt. thinks we should now take care of EVERYONE !

Our Governor believes in handing out welfare like Halloween candy and is pro ILLEGAL ! Not to surprising since he's buddies with Obama. If you like you hard earned tax dollars going for these entitlements while our roads and bridges are falling apart I guess you'll fit right in.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 PM

131 posts, read 165,521 times
I disagree. It is perfect here!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 604,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I'm wanting to leave but this economy is making it hard to relocate with the lack of jobs out there. Looking to go out West,most likely Az.Like the previous poster I'm sick of the long dragged out winters,below zero temps,high heating bills,high property taxes and all the anti gun Liberals!

As far as good health care I guess that's true if you don't mind paying the HIGHEST premiums in the country because there's very little choice in companies and you're now paying for crack head Johnny's health care because the Govt. thinks we should now take care of EVERYONE !

Our Governor believes in handing out welfare like Halloween candy and is pro ILLEGAL ! Not to surprising since he's buddies with Obama. If you like you hard earned tax dollars going for these entitlements while our roads and bridges are falling apart I guess you'll fit right in.
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but I'm trying to move to Massachusetts from Arizona and your post made me giggle a little. It's an armpit here with dragged out summers (think six months of 100+ degree heat), my A/C is set at 80 and keeps kicking on during the day, I've had to make sacrifices to pay for the high electric bills... and I don't know what you're looking for in work, but you'll find plenty of call centers and retail jobs. If you have or want children, I hope for their sake you would go elsewhere as Arizona ranks dead last in education.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but I'm trying to move to Massachusetts from Arizona and your post made me giggle a little. It's an armpit here with dragged out summers (think six months of 100+ degree heat), my A/C is set at 80 and keeps kicking on during the day, I've had to make sacrifices to pay for the high electric bills... and I don't know what you're looking for in work, but you'll find plenty of call centers and retail jobs. If you have or want children, I hope for their sake you would go elsewhere as Arizona ranks dead last in education.

I think when you live in any area long enough that has extreme temps whether it be hot or cold you get tired of it. At this point of my life I'd love to see 6 months of warm weather.

It gets cold here starting in Nov. and usually lasts through March.We've had some of our biggest snow storms in March/April,one April 1st we had a N'Easter that dumped over 18".It did melt quick but after 5 months of snow enough is enough! Last Friday morning it was 4* with a high of 19 and the furnace was running non stop. Just wait until the dead of winter when the windchill is 10-20 BELOW zero,it hurts just to breath and your entire face feels like someone just Botoxed it. Here you will have high heating bills especially if you have oil which a lot of homes heat with here.Depending on the size and age of your house $2000 + is average.

No kids so I don't have to worry about the schools there in Az. but I work in construction and I know that field is pretty dead there right now. Just like everyone there recommends going there in July/August to make sure you can handle the heat,you need to do the same here in Jan./Feb to see how cold it really gets.

Sorry OP for the thread drift.....

Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,844,813 times
I guess it's a personal preference, but I moved to San Antonio five years ago. I love the weather here and the heat. I have always hated the long winters and the cold. I do miss the educated people, liberal attitudes, culture, authenticity, seafood, Asian and Italian food. I also miss the emphasis on education and value for the environment. I even miss the dark New England sense of humor. Most of all, I miss being close to my family. Despite all of this, I have no regrets. I have a good job, great friends and a townhouse I own outright. BTW, I am single and would move back in a heartbeat if I had kids (even to live in a not-so-great school district). Separation of church and state? Not in Texas!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

137 posts, read 125,629 times
That is one thing I want to avoid, is the bible-beating. Central Maryland is very liberal, but the minute you leave that area it's just all religion and weirdness. As much as I'm not into being cold, I just can't see myself living in the south (well, farther south...technically I'm south now!). I also wouldn't move to California for a HUNDRED reasons, as we well know. I just feel like I'm willing to brave the cold for the society I'd be receiving in return...

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM

37 posts, read 10,022 times
A lot of people move to MA fooled by the slighly highter pay scale then get here and realize everything costs an arm and a leg and the cost of living is crazy compared to other states. I totally agree with the other poster that MA hands out welfare like candy. If your getting $16 in food stamps in another state, you'll get $200 in MA and thats an exact figure not to mention Free healthcare.. all funded by the good ole working class of the state. MA is a welfare moms dream come true.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM

366 posts, read 827,087 times
I moved TO Mass from Texas last year for the educational benefits for my kids. That, and a job offer with the organization I wanted to work for, were the only factors in my decision.

We may finally be able to buy a house here and it is really amazing how much homes cost up here. A house similar in square footage and layout to my ex's house in Austin is over $160,000 more expensive. I will be paying $1700 a month for the same thing that he pays $550 a month for. And the pay is NOT that much different, really. I've done a pretty good comparision across similar high-tech fields.

But, I just couldn't access the educational assistance that my kids needed in Texas, so you do what you gotta.

And honestly, you're moving from MD, so all of the grumbling about costs isn't really that big a deal. Homes are more expensive in MD, and the cost of living is roughly similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts