Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen a fisher cat in eastern Massachusetts? Has anyone heard blood-curdling screams in the middle of the night? I live near the Cape and believe I have heard a fisher cat in my woods late after midnight several times in the last month or so. After describing the loud screams - a cross between a loud bird and a cat screaching - friends have thought that it might be one. The sound gets louder quite rapidly as it approaches and then diminishes just as fast as it moves away. Do you have any other suggestions as to what it might be? I have seen photos and wouldn't want to run in to one. I'm glad my cat doesn't go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I live in southern Norfolk county and I started seeing them about 3 years ago.
I heard the screams just once, though and they were far in the woods.

I have friends that live in Rehoboth and one of their neighbors saw a BEAR in her driveway one night when she was coming home.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
There have been numerous sightings of fisher cats in Sudbury, MA, including one that kids saw run off with a neighbor's cat, I'm sorry to say. We keep out kitties indoors now.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Fairyly sure one got my elderly indoor kitty here in Southborough. He got out by mistake. Neighbors have reported seeing them (we have a small creek that runs behind the house)

Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default There are fishers in eastern MA

I'm not familiar with the sound of a fisher, so I'm not sure about what you've heard. I wonder whether it might not also possibly be a bobcat, though I'm not sure that they would keep growling steadily for as long as you describe hearing. There are fishers around eastern MA, though, so it's possible you've heard them. DEFINITELY keep the cat indoors. Besides the fishers, there are coyotes around eastern MA, lots of them on Cape Cod as I understand.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
It's a bloodcurdling sound, sort of like a small child being tortured. You won't forget it once you've heard it.

The Globe did a piece on fishers a couple of years ago:

On the wild side - The Boston Globe

Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM

17 posts, read 110,479 times
Ah, im glad im not the only one who has seen this animal. Otter River area to be exact. They will eat your cats, small dogs - they are not nice. I thought we ridded them out, not that I'd ever harm the unwanted predator.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 14,488 times
Exclamation Fisher Cats in Mass

So glad that I found this site! I have seen on about three occasions in my backyard in Paxton Mass and animal that I believe now is a fisher cat. It has been late at night (about 11 or so). One night I heard a terrible noise that reminded me of a blue heron sound, like a screeching, weird noise in the woods. Soon after I saw this animal walk along the back of my yard at the wooded line.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
two of my children jusy saw one this afternoon in our yard ... they also heard the "tortured scream"... scared the heck out of them ... when they told me, i googled "picture fisher cat"....they were like YES!!! that is what we saw!!! i could tell something was up since my dog would not go to the edge of the woods (where he usually does his business)... he just tried to run back to the house....about a year ago i was up late and heard this crazy yelling sound (almost like an old women screaming) but it was also a fisher cat... very creepy ... once you hear it you don't forget it!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 39,129 times
Default Fisher Cat in Mass.

We Fisher Cats here in Western Mass. Have you considered a cougar? I saw a cougar over twenty years ago in this area, and it's scream was like that described in this thread. They have been sighted in this area by numerous, reliable people, and in the Quabbin area this year, and in the past, even though Fish & Wildlife claim there are none present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts