U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM

234 posts, read 308,377 times
Question Westwood? What? Tell me about it!

We've lived in Weymouth for almost 7 years now. We now have two small children who will be approaching school age and have had a change in job locations, so we're thinking about where we would move if we sold our "starter" home. Tonight my husband mentioned Westwood as being a place to look at because it's where he wants to be for the train to work. Me? I think of Westwood as no man's land. In my head I literally picture the South Shore (along the coast) and Newton/Needham, and nothing in between, okay, well maybe Milton. I really have an aversion to the Rte. 1 area, so...

Tell me about Westwood and what you like (or don't) about living in that general area. I know that the schools are good, housing is fairly expensive and Xaverian is there- that's it. My husband is originally from the south shore and I have family here, I just never thought about living westward.

Any other towns to consider in that area? My husband wants to come in to the city through the Ruggles stop in some form.

What I like about where we live now: ocean, lots of access to parks, our house is in a very walkable area (one car family), public transport, playgrounds, good recreation department for the kids.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM

882 posts, read 1,673,037 times
It's a pretty desirable area I think. Westwood, Dover, Medfield, Sherborn--all more or less posh but on a more rural residential scale than built up places like Wellesley--or Weymouth. Westwood is a bit more built up than the other three, but not enough to be considered walkable in any way. Medfield is walkable in its center. Lots of great public lands in and around for walks and such, like Hale Reservation in Westwood (which has swimming ponds though you have to pay to join), Noanet in Dover, and many others. The scenic country roads around there are favorites of the road cycling clubs who come out from Boston.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
It's a pretty desirable area I think. Westwood, Dover, Medfield, Sherborn--all more or less posh but on a more rural residential scale than built up places like Wellesley--or Weymouth. Westwood is a bit more built up than the other three, but not enough to be considered walkable in any way. Medfield is walkable in its center. Lots of great public lands in and around for walks and such, like Hale Reservation in Westwood (which has swimming ponds though you have to pay to join), Noanet in Dover, and many others. The scenic country roads around there are favorites of the road cycling clubs who come out from Boston.
Whoa, just looked up Hale Reservation- $665-$700 for one week of day camp? Is the correct?! And $895 for a family swimming pass- if you reserve early? What? Maybe we're spoiled with $55 a week camp here, but these prices are just shocking. A family pass to the pool in Hingham is $313, that seems like highway robbery compared to Hale Reservation.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM

882 posts, read 1,673,037 times
Wow-- that is crazy! Hale is free for walking, didn't realize the sky-high swimming memberships! There are town beaches and state beaches in the area too--Sherborn has Farm Pond, for example. Don't know about Westwood.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM

925 posts, read 1,399,596 times
Farm Pond in Sherborn has a parking sticker price. I think it was $55 last summer. I love it because there are no motorized vehicles so it's more peaceful.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

160 posts, read 275,004 times
We are considering Westwood as well. I just looked up Hale Reservation because those prices seemed really unreasonable. The camp is 665 - 700 is for a TWO week session (about $350 a week, or $70 for a full day). Although this is very expensive, it is in line with other "full service" day camps I have researched.

The beach membership totally threw me off! We currently pay $100 for our town beach. This one apparantly is all-inclusive, meaning daily swim lessons with many options for many different levels and programming are covered for the entire summer for the entire family. They include, yoga (with babysitting included!) kayaking lessons, sailing lessons, fishing parties, arts and crafts, an entertainer that comes weekly, campfires, overnights etc. The schedule is pretty packed hourly if you look online.

It would be nice if there was a lower fee for those that want to just swim without all the other amenities, but I don't think you can really compare this to the average town beach...

Last edited by sblumberg; 01-30-2011 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Adding additional info.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post
We are considering Westwood as well. I just looked up Hale Reservation because those prices seemed really unreasonable. The camp is 665 - 700 is for a TWO week session (about $350 a week, or $70 for a full day). Although this is very expensive, it is in line with other "full service" day camps I have researched.

The beach membership totally threw me off! We currently pay $100 for our town beach. This one apparantly is all-inclusive, meaning daily swim lessons with many options for many different levels and programming are covered for the entire summer for the entire family. They include, yoga (with babysitting included!) kayaking lessons, sailing lessons, fishing parties, arts and crafts, an entertainer that comes weekly, campfires, overnights etc. The schedule is pretty packed hourly if you look online.

It would be nice if there was a lower fee for those that want to just swim without all the other amenities, but I don't think you can really compare this to the average town beach...
Good to know! I kept reading and re-reading the camp thing. I think I may have just been really tired, because now the dates makes sense! Even with the beach being "all-inclusive" of many things, it still seems steep, but I guess if that's what you want you just have to pay for it.

I took a quick drive around (snow covered) Westwood yesterday, as I have never really driven through there, and was neither impressed nor inspired. I did go through a neighborhood very much like our current one- smaller houses close together, and then found an area that was much, much different- huge houses and huge plots of land, so I saw the variety. Other than that I noticed that they're going to be building a new library and I saw the middle school. Is there any type of "town center"? I saw a couple of local restaurants. I didn't plan my trip before I went, just randomly drove and then I had to get back to pick up my preschooler

Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,477,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post

As a parent who has done "a la carte" summer offerings for a number of years that $895 up front cost is a bargain IF you plan on taking advantage of the activities. The advantage is kids have a chance to try out many different programs and then, if they find something they love, in the future you can decide if it's worth continuing at there or sign your child up for those specific activities elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,160,564 times
There kinda is a center by the post office...

It's a interesting area because it can feel like you are in the middle of nowhere but at the same point boston is practically 10-15 minutes away.

If you want proof of this go to the dedham mall and just look at the traffic..no not mall traffic..just the traffic around it..it's insane

The biggest question market is the whole westwood center. If that's eventually built you'll have quite a bit more there.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There kinda is a center by the post office...

It's a interesting area because it can feel like you are in the middle of nowhere but at the same point boston is practically 10-15 minutes away.

If you want proof of this go to the dedham mall and just look at the traffic..no not mall traffic..just the traffic around it..it's insane

The biggest question market is the whole westwood center. If that's eventually built you'll have quite a bit more there.
What's the Westwood Center? Did a google search and came up with this:

Home - The Center at Westwoods - teaching & practices from all sacred traditions.

Related or something totally different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts