Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm not sure but I think section 8 is equal for everyone, married or single, young or old. Elderly couples are on section 8 with no minor children. A disabled single person could be on section 8. If we're going to starting criticizing people, have a go at the people who have several kids, never bother to get married, and still get section 8. A single person will only qualify for a one bedroom apartment while a family will take up more bedrooms and cost more to house.
My impression of the Section 8 and food stamp programs is from a few older single people without kids inquiring about those help programs and being told by the help line operators that unless they had children, that sort of support was non-existent. And I have never had the time or the inclination to call up those phone numbers in order to "ask for a friend".

Quote:
Could be that the OP has a valid reason for needing section 8 and maybe he doesn't want to tell everybody in the MA forum his reasons.
Well... the OP shouldn't be feeling self-conscious or even fearful about stating more of their true situation since this is a completely anonymous message board and no one here could find them out in real life. And again, how can they even think to get decent advice or opinions if their posted question is phrased so vaguely?

Anyway, when a young adult is starting out in life, the usual circumstance will be that the first jobs don't pay that well and are difficult to obtain, and that they will feel impoverished for the first years on their own as they encounter their first rental housing costs. They shouldn't be automatically thinking that Section 8 housing was designed for their situation. Signing up for Section 8 housing as soon as they leave their parents' home should not be the first solution that they think of.

And I know a few families where the parents felt that as soon as their child turned 18 and was graduated from high school, the financial support was turned off. College costs were all on the child. Or if no college education was planned by their child, then it was expected that their child would find a job. And if that child intended to stay at home, then a rent contribution was expected from them. Many traditional families think this way with the only exception being that if their child was really good at academics and was pursuing a practical career path such as medicine. law, computers or engineering, then the parents would support that endeavor... as long as the grades were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I first got out of college, I moved to Cambridge. My first job was a minimum wage job at a record store. And I found a shared apartment situation with complete strangers through the Boston Phoenix. And my next living situations were the same. No biggie.

Yes, the OP asked a question... however some details about their particular situation would indeed be very helpful in trying to answer it. Again, the Section 8 system is much more supportive of adults with underage children and not very supportive for single adults with no minors.
I don't think you are understanding: Imagine that you've perhaps never had a home and were not taught life skills along the way...I also worked a few jobs in high school and out the gate did not have financial support from family. But I was not 'legally' forced out of a temporary home situation. Foster kids are given a small amount of cash and then 'sent on their way'.

Ideally, they have been given options via school counselors, guidance counselors, etc. But often the school systems have not provided such resources. Add that to many of these kids coming from chaotic situations [even foster homes are usually no picnic, no offense to those who do it out of the goodness of their hearts and do provide a stable, functional environment, of course] at best, abusive and unreliable at worst.

I agree that sec 8 is not the ideal way to go for a teen aging out of foster care, however. Though, teen parents are not unheard of.

As mentioned, don't know re: the OP's situation.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I don't think that's the case with the OP, he has a family and mentioned attending college. Anyway, he hasn't posted on this thread recently.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I first got out of college, I moved to Cambridge. My first job was a minimum wage job at a record store. And I found a shared apartment situation with complete strangers through the Boston Phoenix. And my next living situations were the same. No biggie.
Oh. So you had a college degree. And you were able to find a job and housing in Cambridge you could afford at a minimum wage salary.

In the 1980s.

*slow clap*

Anyway, it looks like this is an old thread but my point still stands - can we just answer the question without the anti-social services judgment? It looks like someone with young children could really use an answer to this (and unfortunately I don't have the answer myself)

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Oh. So you had a college degree. And you were able to find a job and housing in Cambridge you could afford at a minimum wage salary.

In the 1980s.

*slow clap*
What does having three years of college education have anything at all to do with finding housing? And if anything, college kids are usually just as clueless about functioning in the real world.

Anyway, Section 8 should NOT be the first solution to anyone's housing issues... it should be as a very last resort and only a temporary fix... like five years at the very most, not a lifetime of it. And also not a generational thing, so if the parents were on Section 8, their children (once adults) should be ineligible for it. The same should go for welfare too.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post

Anyway, it looks like this is an old thread but my point still stands - can we just answer the question without the anti-social services judgment? It looks like someone with young children could really use an answer to this (and unfortunately I don't have the answer myself)
^ THIS please and thank you.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,061 times
It is probably never ending. That is very very very long. Just trying to give an honest answer, not judging.

If you know the right person they may be able to "give you a good word". Then you can go right to the top!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
I know that I have been on the waitlist since 2004, and I am still "waiting" I have 5 kids, 2 of which are disabled, and my husband works 2 jobs. So we have preference in 2 towns... The centralized section 8 waitlist is a compilation of 91 housing authorities, who each have their own preferences and pick and choose.... So 4-6 years is unrealistic. They are not issuing new vouchers in Massachusetts, they are only issuing by turnover, and no one ever gives it back by choice.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMMassmomma View Post
I know that I have been on the waitlist since 2004, and I am still "waiting" I have 5 kids, 2 of which are disabled, and my husband works 2 jobs. So we have preference in 2 towns... The centralized section 8 waitlist is a compilation of 91 housing authorities, who each have their own preferences and pick and choose.... So 4-6 years is unrealistic. They are not issuing new vouchers in Massachusetts, they are only issuing by turnover, and no one ever gives it back by choice.
Which is exactly why Section 8 needs to be revamped. It becomes a crutch that no one wants to give up. Section 8, welfare and food stamps were meant to be temporary fixes, not a lifetime handout. There need to be term limits. And those on those programs should lose their eligibility if they have more children while on it.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
It all boils down to the life choice for having children. I still don't understand why people have such an urge to have kids, even when they know they are poor. Shouldn't society have a say in procreation/reproductive choices for people who will then require society's support to raise those same children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts