Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times

Advertisements

I been in the list since. 2008 and is 2015. Like how long it takes 18 years or what?????plz need answer??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:26 AM

837 posts, read 1,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petybelyz View Post
I been in the list since. 2008 and is 2015. Like how long it takes 18 years or what?????plz need answer??
Average is 10 years, from what I understand, maybe a little longer. I know you have to renew every year to keep your name on the list.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,025,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petybelyz View Post
How old are you? How many children do you have? What are their ages? And why has your economic situation been so unchanged since 2008? Have you been trying to improve your job skills in the meantime so that you can make more money?

The number of section 8 vouchers are a set number, not unlimited like qualifying for unemployment benefits. Those already holding section 8 vouchers seem never to give them up. So it is really not Massachusetts' fault that the waiting list is so long.

Everyone I know who has section 8 or in low income housing never get off of it and seem to work only just enough to keep those benefits. IMO it's really pathetic to have that kind of mentality towards those crutches. Having section 8 vouchers was never meant to be a lifelong handout, just a temporary one.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,452,188 times
I think it depends upon what town you filed in. Some towns have more vouchers to hand out. Section 8 is good for retired people who have run into bad luck, people who are disabled, and for divorced women trying to get back on their feet. I don't think it even allows you to work at all--a stupid rule IMHO. A disabled or retired person is the best fit because they probably wouldn't be able to work anyway.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
I have been on the MA waiting list since 2004--that's right, 11 years! I am disabled, on SSDI, but that is completely irrelevant. Since I am not a single mother with 6 screaming children, all of whom were fathered by 6 different horse hung men, and drive around in a Cadillac Escalade SUV, then obviously I am not a prime, suitable candidate for Section 8. Then again, as I always like to say, "who the hell am I to complain?"

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-16-2015 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 08-16-2015, 01:42 PM

5,774 posts, read 5,059,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticked off bastard View Post
I have been on the MA waiting list since 2004--that's right, 11 years! I am disabled, on SSDI, but that is completely irrelevant. Since I am not a single mother with 6 screaming children, all of whom were fathered by 6 different horse hung men, and drive around in a Cadillac Escalade SUV, then obviously I am not a prime, suitable candidate for Section 8. Then again, as I always like to say, "who the hell am I to complain?"
ROFLOL!!!! I like the six stallions part the best.....

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-16-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,941 times
Im a disabled mother of 2 and been on list since 2008 and still waiting i didnt get put on list till 2008 when i applied in 2006 due to them loosing my app and not finding out till two yrs later so really i been waiting 10 yrs come this march so dont get your hopes up thinking your app will shoot to the top of list . I was even in one apartment i had to leave due to mold getting me and my children sick city closed my app i still didnt get priorty, another apart i got evicted because my landlord refused to fix my kitchen stove that almost blew up on me due to electrically problem with it still no help. Im on fixed income and struggle to pay my full market rent of 1600 a month behind on bills and all still havent been contacted by housings. Im active on list check in often.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 633,183 times
Your $1600 rent is more than I can afford, and I'm a lawyer who's been out of school for eight years. You should move.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,551,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How old are you? How many children do you have? What are their ages? And why has your economic situation been so unchanged since 2008? Have you been trying to improve your job skills in the meantime so that you can make more money?

The number of section 8 vouchers are a set number, not unlimited like qualifying for unemployment benefits. Those already holding section 8 vouchers seem never to give them up. So it is really not Massachusetts' fault that the waiting list is so long.

Everyone I know who has section 8 or in low income housing never get off of it and seem to work only just enough to keep those benefits. IMO it's really pathetic to have that kind of mentality towards those crutches. Having section 8 vouchers was never meant to be a lifelong handout, just a temporary one.
What evidence do you have that section 8 was meant to be temporary?

And why all the judgement? Who made you (meaning the collective of those who judge) king/ queen of the downtrodden?

Last edited by Wild Flower; 02-05-2016 at 02:46 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 03:12 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,551,845 times
Adding... you may decide the section 8 residents are not downtrodden. But when there are no or few paths to better,jobs, people will do what they have to, including staying on section 8.

You cannot judge a section 8 resident on those who came before (or those you know).

AND you cannot judge them on YOUR ability to find better jobs and/ or stamina to work as much over-time qs you need to make ends meet. If you think you can, the king/queen statement in my other post is for,you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts