Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,976 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to mass because the cost of living is so high in nj- I was wondering if anyone has made this move and if mass is more affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM

270 posts, read 1,355,769 times
We moved to MA from Northern NJ almost 4 years ago. I found that the all over cost of living is very similar between the two areas. And contrary to what many think some things are actually cheaper in NJ, like gasoline.
Yes housing is maybe a little lower up here as are some taxes but that depends where you live and what you buy or rent. Some taxes are higher in MA like the beloved excise tax for your car.
I'd say relocating just for the cost of living does not really make sense. And moving itself is also a big expense, not only for your wallet.
Now I do have to say that I like living up here much much better than in NJ and while still similar my quality of live is better here. The population is less dense and there is more open space. There is more natural beauty and better access to the ocean and the mountains. And I like Boston better than NYC.

You can do a search for my older posts. I have written in detail about NJ vs. MA as have other posters.

I hope you can still make it up here but I just don't think MA is more affordable than NJ, not when you compare Northern NJ (i.e. Bergen and Passaic Counties) to the Metro Boston Area.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,713,932 times
The northeast is expensive...period. The only way to have a lower cost of living is to move somewhere like Ohio, Indiana or maybe Alabama if you prefer something warmer. Think midwest, or think south, those are your choices for low cost housing.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM

278 posts, read 700,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
We moved to MA from Northern NJ almost 4 years ago. I found that the all over cost of living is very similar between the two areas. And contrary to what many think some things are actually cheaper in NJ, like gasoline.
Yes housing is maybe a little lower up here as are some taxes but that depends where you live and what you buy or rent. Some taxes are higher in MA like the beloved excise tax for your car.
I'd say relocating just for the cost of living does not really make sense. And moving itself is also a big expense, not only for your wallet.
Now I do have to say that I like living up here much much better than in NJ and while still similar my quality of live is better here. The population is less dense and there is more open space. There is more natural beauty and better access to the ocean and the mountains. And I like Boston better than NYC.

You can do a search for my older posts. I have written in detail about NJ vs. MA as have other posters.

I hope you can still make it up here but I just don't think MA is more affordable than NJ, not when you compare Northern NJ (i.e. Bergen and Passaic Counties) to the Metro Boston Area.

Good Luck!
pretty much the same situation for me, except I came from long island not NJ.

Overall ma is somewhat cheaper for me, but more so than that, I no longer feel like murdering people when I leave the house

Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,484,365 times
What part of NJ are you coming from? I did the reverse move MA to NJ (Essex county.) Well I live in NJ most of the time. And try to be home in MA when I can. Anyways I would say that it is slightly more expensive in NJ than MA.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,976 times
I am in northern nj- I have four kids and need a bigger home (we now have a 3 bedrooms and need a 4)- and when I make the move to the larger home in jersey my taxes will be at least 9k- and from what I've seen that should be considerably less in mass- we are looking in the holliston, wrentham, millis, norfolk, area if anyone has any recommendations. we would like to stay under 400k. thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,267,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidikbyrne View Post
I am in northern nj- I have four kids and need a bigger home (we now have a 3 bedrooms and need a 4)- and when I make the move to the larger home in jersey my taxes will be at least 9k- and from what I've seen that should be considerably less in mass- we are looking in the holliston, wrentham, millis, norfolk, area if anyone has any recommendations. we would like to stay under 400k. thanks
I've got close family and some friends in central Jersey. I've lived there, NYC and Mass. and find Mass. the most affordable even if it's more expensive than many other places. Unless you're in a close-in and expensive town like Newton, Lexington, Belmont, etc., the property taxes should be well below 9K and the MA income tax is lower than NJ's for anyone making over about 40K. Below that NJ's rate is lower.

I don't know the area of the state you mentioned as well as I know some other areas, but I think Millis might be the odd town out in that group. Holliston's grown and is known for good schools. Wrentham and Norfolk are nice as well, and I think the schools are good there too. Millis is far from a terrible town but average income is lower, etc. Norfolk is the only town on the commuter rail. They're all pretty woodsy and quiet compared to north Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts