Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 28,478,228 times

Advertisements

and some of my pet peeves are -- people who ask where I'm from and I say "Western Mass." And they say, "Weston?" "NO! W-E-S-T-E-R-N Mass."

or "Where are you from?" Western Mass. "(long quizzical look) -- Oh, I've been out in the Berkshires. It's nice out there."

sheez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,071,706 times
I hate driving here. There is too much traffic. Small state with a huge population. Small, narrow roads. The roads here really are not large enough to accommodate the population. So that is why people find it annoying to drive 30/40 mins anywhere. Most roads the speed limit is 30 mph unless you're on a 290/I-90/I-93/128/95. Those roads are the fastest route most of the time, but heavily clogged with traffic and secondary roads are packed and clogged as well. Going anywhere is a headache.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

12,632 posts, read 21,792,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
and some of my pet peeves are -- people who ask where I'm from and I say "Western Mass." And they say, "Weston?" "NO! W-E-S-T-E-R-N Mass."

or "Where are you from?" Western Mass. "(long quizzical look) -- Oh, I've been out in the Berkshires. It's nice out there."

sheez.
I get the same thing.

Me: "I'm from Eastern Mass."

Them: "Oh! Easton!"

Me: "No. E-A-S-T-E-R-N! Assonet, actually."

Them: "Never heard of it."

Me: "Down near Fall River and New Bedford."

Them: "Oh so down near the Cape?" (thinking: "Gross! Fall River and New Bedford, yuck!")

Me: "Sure."

If I was ever out of state (even in New England), I was from Boston (according to whomever I am talking to), end of story. Massachusetts = Boston for many people. Say Massachusetts and they assume Boston. Now that my residence is actually Boston, it's easier.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM

420 posts, read 1,364,387 times
For me, this could really be split into 4... Boston, Cape Cod, Western and Eastern. All 4 are totally different places

Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,859,735 times
From what I've seen at the various forums, I have the impression that every state at CD has one forum for the entire state. They do not split it into separate forums for regions of the state, but may have sub-forums, in addition to the general state forum, for local areas that are the subject of a lot of threads. I sympathize with western Mass. residents who feel that they get forgotten by Boston, but apparently on CD there's too little discussion of western Mass. to warrant a western Mass. sub-forum.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM

12 posts, read 24,411 times
The reason for this is because all of MA was built for travel by horse and it shows. Each town is about .5 to 1 day's horseback ride from the previous town. And when you fill those horse trails with cars, they move about as fast as horses. Under those conditions, anyone would stay close to home.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 AM

974 posts, read 1,885,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I have plenty of relatives who think Western Mass starts at around Framingham. My parents insist on staying at my house for at least 3-4 days when they visit because they don't like to drive long distances in one day(about 85 miles from WSPFLD to Watertown). They act like we live on the great lakes or something. But have no problems making the trip to Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun in the same night(which is roughly 100 miles from there house). It is just the perception that anything in Western Mass is so far away.
How can it be perception when the maps all say otherwise??

Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM

536 posts, read 840,046 times
I grew up in SEastern MA (Stoughton) but worked happily in the Berkshires (Williamstown) for several years early in my career. I like having coverage of all of Mass outside of Boston (wonderful place, out of my price-range and always has been).

Some of the dismissals of my hometown and region have rankled as much as comments about N Adams and Pittsfield which at one time I knew well, warts and all, and really liked.

I posted something else earlier but it didn't go thru, but this is the short form. I can evaluate stuff I don't agree with but don't have the time to add a few extra forums to my preretirement readings. I basically love this forum even when I disagree with it.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 28,478,228 times
I don't think it will ever change. At least there is a section for just Boston so we don't have to trawl through it. Sometimes I do wish the chat about the Boston suburbs would go into the Boston subforum though. And then there's also the possibility that if we DID have a subforum for WMass more WMass people would participate. The way it's set up, the forum appears to be mostly about the Boston area.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:58 PM

675 posts, read 1,691,020 times
I always thought it was funny that people most larger chain type businesses, even national chains with only one location per state, would have a Boston location AND a Cambridge location. Like, heaven forbid we have to actually cross the river to shop!

But when you're in the Boston area and it sometimes takes 1/2 hour to cross town for work it does make sense that people don't want to much farther than the city/town border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts