Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

I apologize...I noticed that after I posted that you were looking to care outside your home.

If that is the case I am guessing only that you would have to contact agencies that hire nannies. I have to agree with LeavingMass in regards to hiring you also. As you stated you are five months pregnant and when you get to the last stages of your pregnancy how will you keep up with the children?
From personal experience children quickly get attached to their caregivers and it would be difficult for a child to get attached to you and then quickly you will disappear from their lives when you have your own child.

I truly wish I could give you some answers. What if you looked in another direction and became a caregiver to a shut-in. Sometimes there is good money in that as some just need companionship during the day vs. total care.
We did that when my mother in law was in need of those services and she adored the woman that came in each day. She did very light housekeeping light cooking and companionship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I also think that you need to sign up with a nanny agency. Most families will not want to pay you directly and deal with the tax forms. And if you are going to be inside their homes all day long, they will want you to be bonded and insured. Bonded, as in being sure that you will not steal from them. And insured in case you are hurt on the job, or something happens to their child.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
go on sitters.com you dont need to be licensed and alot of them are temp. goodluck i run my own home day care but i started off at sitters.com

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that $65 a day is affordable? Perhaps if you are providing care to a sick child who cannot be taken to a daycare center or an in home provider. Emergency type child care when the primary care is not available. PERHAPS.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM

399 posts, read 854,814 times
I think there are plenty of people who want temporary babysitters for their children. If you are not against working a flexible schedule then you may be able to pick up several odd jobs. In lacking a state license this is what I would presume you are considering. Many of the child care centers open only from 6AM-6PM and are closed on the weekends. If you are willing to cover that gap by babysitting on weekends or later at night, you may have found a niche. You won't be charging what a licensed daycare would charge but between the jobs you do take you may make some good money.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I am 8 months pregnant and recently explored childcare options for us. We ended up going with an in-home provider. The rates per day varied from about $65 - $80 and the hours we were using were 8 - 5:30. For the record, we are not in Metrowest, but instead on the South Shore.

The nannies were priced a little higher and the rates varied more based on whether or not they would do some light housekeeping. The going rate was about $15/hour, so for an 8-hour day it was around $120.

It sounds like your role would be more of a nanny-type role as opposed to providing in-home care, BUT the position is temporary and you're not going through an agency, so I think the $65/day is probably a decent rate.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Here in the north of Boston suburbs, $10 per hour is the going rate for babysitting.

My only concern is what would you do with your own baby after she is born? Are you proposing taking your infant to other people's homes and then watching their children? My kids are teenagers now but I would not have been receptive to that type of situation, regardless of price.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... I should switch dog nannies... they run quite a bit more than $10/hr (and I am on the North Shore). But I have had her for over 13 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts