U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,556 times
Default Oil to Gas Conversion?

We currently have an old, inefficient oil furnace that needs to be brought up to code (recently bought the house). We're considering taking advantage of incentives offered by National Grid to replace the system with gas (already have gas in the house for hot water). Thoughts on whether it's worth the cost of the conversion? Any opinions on oil vs gas heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM

237 posts, read 462,565 times
Same situation here; we converted to gas in '08 when oil prices were taking off (to a 92.8% efficiency hot air system). I still monitored oil prices after the conversion and I figured we saved about $900-$1000/year in heating costs (plus annual $100 oil furnace cleaning). With this year's high oil prices, we will probably save $1200 or more. (I deducted the base customer gas charge we were already paying for cooking/hot water use)

The replacement cost us $3985 (minus Gas co. rebate) plus $200 for oil tank removal (I think the latter would be much more to do "by the book"). We should break even in the fall. From what I've heard, the ulra high efficiency systems (95%+) are less worth it.

The new furnace is much quieter too; I'd recommend it, especailly if oil prices continue to rise or even stabilize.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,810,376 times
Wmass, Great info. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

309 posts, read 279,207 times
And, consider that the company you buy oil from will want cash on delivery, or pretty quickly. With the gas company, if you get a little slow in paying, they won't cut you off for a long time.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM

70 posts, read 93,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
Same situation here; we converted to gas in '08 when oil prices were taking off (to a 92.8% efficiency hot air system). I still monitored oil prices after the conversion and I figured we saved about $900-$1000/year in heating costs (plus annual $100 oil furnace cleaning). With this year's high oil prices, we will probably save $1200 or more. (I deducted the base customer gas charge we were already paying for cooking/hot water use)

The replacement cost us $3985 (minus Gas co. rebate) plus $200 for oil tank removal (I think the latter would be much more to do "by the book"). We should break even in the fall. From what I've heard, the ulra high efficiency systems (95%+) are less worth it.

The new furnace is much quieter too; I'd recommend it, especailly if oil prices continue to rise or even stabilize.
This is good. This is really informative for all of us readers to see.. read and learn from it. Since we are facing problems like what we have today, all types of saving are just cool.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 97,560 times
The very first thing to do is to find out if there's a gas line on your street, so that your house can be connecetd to it. Call the company, they will tell you if it's possible based on your address. Maybe you already did that
Gas heating is (and has been and will be I guess ), cheaper than oil, it's just the conversion price. On the other hand, if you were to update your existing oil heating system, you'd spend about the same, if not more.

To conclude - get gas it if it's possible.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM

269 posts, read 275,331 times
I'd love to convert -- my house actually had a gas line at one time, but either my parents or the previous owner had it removed. Even with the rebate the price is daunting for me.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

270 posts, read 880,731 times
There is no questions. Get gas if you can. It will most likely be cheaper.
I would do it in a heart beat but there is no line in my street. Called the gas company that serves the area and they said that they are not planning on installing new lines for the next 5 years, only upgrades to existing lines. I don't understand that. If I would make the conversion I would never go back to oil, so they would gain a new customer for life, and at least half of all my neighbors.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM

735 posts, read 2,391,060 times
Gas is the way to go if it is available....

Not sure if you folks are familiar with Mass Save, but you should be:
Welcome to MassSave

The HEAT Loan Program provides customers the opportunity to apply for a 0% loan from participating lenders to assist with the installation of qualified energy efficient improvements in their homes. The loans are available up to $15,000 (depending on utility) with terms up to 7 years. To qualify for the loan, the customer must own and reside in a one-to-four-family residence, obtain a Mass Save Home Energy Assessment, and install qualified energy efficiency measures recommended by a Mass Save representative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts