U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,303 times
Default School MCAS Results for Massachusetts

Enclosed is a URL for the 2010 MCAS results for all Masschusetts schools.

Top-ranked Massachusetts schools on the Grade 5 MCAS - Boston.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM

5,155 posts, read 8,279,732 times
Skible30, thank you for your service!

Great info by Xena2007 in post #10, with lots of good detail that should give you a good basic picture of those towns. One small point I'll make about that post is that there is no commuter rail service in Lexington. However, there is bus service to a connection with the subway red line at Alewife station. I second the suggestion to avoid traveling into Boston during rush hours. Many people do it because they have to for work, but in your situation, where you're working in a suburban area and would be making trips to Boston for pleasure, you'll find that it will bring you that much more pleasure if you avoid rush hours.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 11,628 times
Thanks, again, Xena2007! Very, very helpful information! Thanks so much for your breakdown of the traffic schedules & routes to avoid! As we find places off-base, we'll be checking your list carefully!

We already started getting our dogs used to walking on leashes again. I assume by leash law you mean that they must be on leashes when outside of the home or fence. We've gotten a litle lazy with that here. They just run around in our fenced-in backyard here in STL.

May I ask if there is a time table to the "DO NOT PLAN A JOURNEY INTO BOSTON during a work day"? I only ask because I play Irish music and was hoping to find a weekday night session to attend regularly. Those are usually held in the evenings starting @7-7:30-ish. I was hoping to find one that I could use public transport for. Bad idea?

Also, what is fire insurance? Is that something I as a renter would need to be concerned with? I haven't called my insurance company yet to tell them about the move, but perhaps this is something I should be asking about?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 9,303 times
Red face Fire Insurance and Irish Dancing

Fire insurance -Home Household Insurance - is a good idea if you rent. If you buy, it is a requirement. Call USAA and they will give you the info you need.
To drive into Boston during peak traffic hours should only be done if you are insane or really need the job. Ma drivers and Boston drivers specifically are rude and belligerent specially to autos with out of state plates except NH and RI (Many of the Italian Mafias migrated from Boston to NH or RI)

There are a wide variety of activities outside of Boston that may provide the music classes you want to take.

The one way commute to Boston from Hanscom on public transportation is between 60 and 90 minutes. Bus to Alewife terminal pick up Red line subway or Bus to Harvard square and pick up red line. Then Park street station to pick up the line that you need to get to your destination.
Check the Boston Magazine site
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/
for general info. The March 2011 Boston Magazine issue as a review of real estate markets. The table is on the money, the article was written by somebody who does not know the Boston Area.
It is my understanding that Pujols may wind up as Red Sox so a little bit of St. Louis may be in action at the Temple aka Fenway Park.

Last edited by Xena2007; 02-28-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

5,155 posts, read 8,279,732 times
Regarding travel into Boston on weekdays, if you're driving, the main times to avoid are rush hours. There's always the possibility of a traffic jam on a main road at any time, due to an accident or other unusual situation, but usually the hours from about 10AM to 3PM should be reasonable. Evenings generally are not a problem as far as traffic is concerned. Other than the fact that trains can be crowded during rush hours, public transit should get you where you're going without too much trouble at any time of the day.

If you were trying to drive to a performance venue with the plan to arrive in the 7-7:30 window, you would encounter the last half hour to hour of the afternoon rush. If your destination were in town, you'd stand a good chance of avoiding the worst traffic, because you'd be driving in the opposite direction of the rush, but you may want to check back with questions on specific routes, once you have an idea where you may be living and generally where your destinations might be on nights out.

Regarding public transit, it would probably help you to become familiar with the system and its timetables to determine how workable this would be for evenings out. Outside of rush hours the commuter trains, which would be the mode of transit you'd most likely use from most of the towns people have suggested near Hanscom, don't run as often as they do during rush hours. Commuter rail on most lines also shuts down earlier than the subways and busses, so it would not work for late nights out. The following links connect to the transit service website's front page, and to the page with the commuter rail timetables:

MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM

361 posts, read 788,513 times
Hi! I'm an officer in the Navy, and although I work in Groton, I live in Mass..

My children have both been in ST/OT since they were 2 and 3, respectively. The therapists were willing to go to the daycare, and the daycares were generally willing to let the therapists come in.

Is your 3 year old in the EFMP program? The EFMP program, and it's partner the ECHO program, are excellent benefits. We have LOVED the ECHO program. We have $3000 a month in home therapy benefits. It's been such a blessing!

Also, the Navy usually has a "school liasion" office at the base that will work with you on getting the correct services, and ensuring that your childrens school transition is a good one. I'd assume the AF has something similar.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 11,628 times
AAndD: I did know about the EFMP program, but I thought it was a program only for folks with medical issues. My Chief mentioned it after she learned about our boy's therapy (I didn't share that fact widely around the squadron), and we are currently working on the required paperwork to get him in. I've never heard of ECHO though. It sounds like something I'm very interested in! I'll ask about it when we turn in our paperwork to the program coordinator. Thank you very much for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts