Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 20,815 times

Advertisements

Could anyone compare/contrast Norwell and Duxbury? We are a family with 3 children and we are in the process of relocating from New York to the Boston area. We really liked both towns but we would love to get a real idea of how the towns work. Specifically, which town is best for the kids with schools and recreational activities.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM

779 posts, read 876,425 times
My husband and I live in Norwell, but my husband grew up in Duxbury and the in-laws are still there.

If my husband and I worked on the south shore and not downtown, I probably would have chosen to live in Duxbury. The beaches are great, the town is more quaint and because Duxbury is so far from the city and not very accessible via public transportation, housing prices are slightly lower. I honestly don't know how comparable the school systems are...I know they are both really good, but not sure which is better.

Since my husband and I do both work in Boston, Duxbury was never an option for us because we knew we would have needed to commute 2+ hours each way.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 20,815 times
Hi newfiemama
I'm surprised to hear about the two hour commute from duxbury to downtown Boston. I didn't realize it was that bad. My husband will be traveling to the seaport area leaving at 6/630 am and leaving the office around 5. Would the commute be the same? How is your commute from norwell?
Thanks for all your great info.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 19,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena70 View Post
Hi newfiemama
I'm surprised to hear about the two hour commute from duxbury to downtown Boston. I didn't realize it was that bad. My husband will be traveling to the seaport area leaving at 6/630 am and leaving the office around 5. Would the commute be the same? How is your commute from norwell?
Thanks for all your great info.
You wouldn't drive from Dux. to the seaport. You would want to take the train/commuter rail.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 24,645 times
A commute to the sea port from either town is not going to be a picnic. From Duxbury, I would most definitely take the train. From Norwell, the commuter boat from Hingham would work, but you would still have to drive there to get the boat. I grew up on the South Shore, and once that last of us went off to college, my parents couldn't get back up to the city fast enough! Have you considered Hingham? It is just a bit closer, but the boat is really great alternative to driving in or taking the hour long train ride from Duxbury.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

779 posts, read 876,425 times
I agree that the seaport area isn't ideal in terms of commuting, but it's probably no worse than the Back Bay if you're coming into South Station. When we were commuting from Duxbury, we were driving to the T or the boat and we both worked in the Back Bay, so it took 2 hours door-to-door. On the commuter rail, the trip from South Station to Kingston is just over an hour, so if you add 15 minutes to drive to the commuter rail station and 15 - 20 minutes to walk from SS to/from the seaport area, then the commute would probably be a little over an hour and a half each way.

My commute from Norwell is an hour door-to-door. It's 15 minutes to drive to the East Weymouth stop on the Greenbush line, then a half of an hour into SS. I work in the financial district, so my office is only 5 or 10 minutes from the train.

The boat is a good option, too, but it would take a lot longer to get from Rowe's Wharf to the seaport area than it would from South Station.

ETA: if your husband was planning to drive in the entire way from Duxbury, it would likely be 2+ hours each way. Maybe not in the morning if he's leaving at 6, but definitely in the evenings if he's leaving at 5.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM

234 posts, read 628,681 times
If I knew I would be moving to this area and working there and looking at those kinds of towns, I'd definitely live in Hingham and take the commuter boat, hands down. But short commute time is important to me- plus I love taking the boat and how many people get to commute to work on a boat every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts