Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM

31 posts, read 63,843 times

Advertisements

I have grew up in Western Mass, moved to CT, then to Oregon and now I live near Boston and hope to move again soon to a southern state. Of all the places I lived Western Mass was the only one I would never return to. To me it is a very depressed area that seems to get worse year after year. Yes there is MassMutual but that is it for big business. There is nothing in the technology field which is what my husband does so even if we liked it there it could never be an option. I went to Umass Amherst and I would say that Amherst/Northampton is probably the only area out there that has any kind of culture to offer.

I think people leave MA for many reasons and for me those reasons are better weather, more affordable homes (newer and larger on more land for far less), the chance to build a home, planned communities (which I personally love and they don't exist here), lower property taxes, and all around a more welcoming feel. Not saying people aren't kind here, but in my moves I have found that people take longer to come around here than they do in other areas. Just more stand-offish. I used to say...in MA you are guilty until proven innocent! LOL. For me its not political, and no one can argue the schools here are amazing but I just think there is an easier way to live. My hubby used to be home by 5pm the latest in Oregon, the good weather allowed us to outside year round which made us feel so healthy! Also yes MA is beautiful but you haven't seen anything until you've stood at the bottom of Multnomah Falls!!

At the end of the day, none of these things are facts, they are all our opinions. I will say that I hear very often that people want to move but will they? And when they stay its almost always for the same thing...family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post
Your commentary on Western Massachusetts is just plain ignorant -- and I truly hope that you don't "speak for many." There are a lot of high paying jobs out here (ever heard of MassMutual--it's a Fortune 50 company.) I've spent some time in New Hampshire and Maine and they are beautiful; however, here, I have access (within 2 hours) to Boston, Providence, NYC. Also, I have access to all the cultural benefits of Massachusetts at a third of the price of living in Swellesley or Boston.

No offense meant to New Hampshire or Maine, but I think that the Knowledge Corridor can offer people quite a lot in terms of, well, anything you could want in NE except "ocean."
Glad to hear you and your family have been blessed financially, that's certainly the exception rather than the rule in Western Mass.

My point is that most of NH and much of ME has access to Boston within 2 hours as well. And Portland and Manchester have just as much to offer as Springfield does, with much less crime and riff-raff to go along. People are generally friendlier, and you don't have the same level of political corruption and nanny state "government knows whats best for you and your kids" insanity. So unless there are other personal circumstances involved there is really no reason to live in Western Mass over other NE states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post
and I truly hope that you don't "speak for many."
keep hoping

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

235 posts, read 510,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In Eastern MA I have my family, a decent job and it is home (and of course the Ocean!). Western Mass has none of those. If I want to move that distance away to a lesser economy I will move to New Hampshire or Maine for a better quality of life than anyplace in Massachusetts can offer. I think I speak for many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent s View Post
Agreed.
I agree as well. I can't forsee a time I'd pick Western MA over NH or ME. I don't plan to leave MetroWest, but if I did, I'd probably go north before I went further west. I've lived on the S. Shore, in the city, slightly north of the city and here in Metro West. Personally I like Metro West over all other areas I've lived, but that's my own personal preference. I have access to Boston, my family on the S. Shore, NH mountains, etc. all within a resonable driving distance.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I always found it interesting that many of my friends and other people I know make a big deal about driving an hour to visit me or something, but then brag about how they can go to the beach or mountains in 2 hours. And then, they basically stay on their side of their town all the time and never really go anywhere.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browsing Duo View Post
And if you want to get some of that tax money back, move to a low-tax red state, which takes in more federal money, which it gets from our true, blue Massachusetts! There's a graph and article by Ezra Klein about that in the major Washington, D.C. paper, which was also linked in my deleted post. Sorry, folks, you have to look it up.
That study is actually pretty poor. For example, if you build a nuclear waste depository in New Mexico it benefits the entire country but shows up as New Mexico just *getting* federal monies. Ditto for ICBM silos in the Dakota's, military bases and so on and so forth.

Then there are all the national parks, indian reservations etc. not to mention that if you live in NY but own farmland in Iowa....any crop subsidy money shows up as going to Iowa.

I would suggest a little economics brush-up before attempting to link government payments to specific states and imply the monies are solely for that states benefit.

Public good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I always found it interesting that many of my friends and other people I know make a big deal about driving an hour to visit me or something, but then brag about how they can go to the beach or mountains in 2 hours. And then, they basically stay on their side of their town all the time and never really go anywhere.
Good point.

I am constantly amazed by people that BOTH work 50+ hours a week have another 15+ hours of commuting time and don't take vacations because they have a 600,000 mortgage on a mediocre house.

They then poo-poo "fly over country" because they would miss the museums, history, culture, ocean etc.....basically all the things they never actually do because they don't have the time or money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts