U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,167 times
Default Everett

how is this area? the home values seemed to have been increasing over the past decade, will this continue?

my DH and i are moving from VA to MA for his job. I am in school not working so our budget is tight even though his job is providing some relocation assistant. We would love to be in Cambridge but we simply cannot afford those prices.

we want somewhere with a lot of space if we decide to have kids.

should we just not bother buying and just rent until later?

we currently live in falls church,va about 15 mins outside of DC and we're looking for something similar. I grew up in MD so I'm used to a lot of diversity and great restaurants and everything that MD + DC + NOVA has to offer.

my friend went to Tufts and he told me some things about the areas on that color line. is this true?

Last edited by aegis; 03-26-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,685,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
how is this area? the home values seemed to have been increasing over the past decade, will this continue?

my DH and i are moving from VA to MA for his job. I am in school not working so our budget is tight even though his job is providing some relocation assistant. We would love to be in Cambridge but we simply cannot afford those prices.

we want somewhere with a lot of space if we decide to have kids.

should we just not bother buying and just rent until later?

we currently live in falls church,va about 15 mins outside of DC and we're looking for something similar. I grew up in MD so I'm used to a lot of diversity and great restaurants and everything that MD + DC + NOVA has to offer.

my friend went to Tufts and he told me some things about the areas on that color line. is this true?
Don't do it. You have to trust me on this one.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 29,244 times
I think Melrose may be more in line with what your looking for..it may be a little more pricey than Everett but has good access to the Orange Line so going into Boston is easier..the downtown area has a good selection of stores, restaurants and decent schools..I would recommend renting first and after you get the lay of the land looking to maybe buy something

Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM

28 posts, read 59,151 times
don't do it. it is a horrible place.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

31 posts, read 24,787 times
Fifteen years ago, a friend was looking for an apt in Davis Sq Somerville or thereabouts and the realtor said 500 dollars, you know what you will get for that--Everett. He did find an apt in Somerville for that price range and I am sure there are decent neighborhoods in Everett, but yeah, everyone says DO not go there. I agree

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,685,110 times
It used to be a half-decent blue-collar community and has taken a turn for the worse along with Malden, another place to stay clear of.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM

31 posts, read 48,096 times
I've never heard good things about Everett.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,073 times
How was the snow removal this winter in Everett? The Parks?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 13,959 times
I completely agree with MassNative71...your off target if your goal is to find a good neighborhood for children. About 15 years ago, there was some effort to improve the neighborhood but it just wasn't sustainable.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM

198 posts, read 326,773 times
There are some quiet, working class streets in Everett and I wouldn't have problem living there. My friend moved to one of those streets and managed to rent out 1/2 of a 2 family apartment for a small fraction of the $$ it wold have cost him in other areas like Cambridge or Medford, where he had been looking. It allowed him to save enough money to buy a downpayment for a house. I wouldn't send my children to school in Everett, but there are definitely some areas of Everett that are safe and quiet. There are also some pretty convenient bus lines that run into the city. I am sure the people that are trashing Everett have never even been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts