Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM

220 posts, read 833,683 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done a two-story addition to his/her home in the eastern Massachusetts? What's the cost would be like for a 20x24 two-story colonial expansion with foundation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

3,668 posts, read 7,355,117 times
What's going in that addition? A kitchen? Bathrooms? Family room with new master bedroom suite above? The price could vary widely. Let's assume you're doing the family room with master bedroom and bath above, you're probably looking at $120,000.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,373 times
I think closer to $200K; realistically.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 82,576 times
As mentioned, it could vary widely dependent on numerous variables.

Kitchen and baths would certainly cost more "per square foot" ; though p.s.f. costing can be misleading.

Particulars of the job need to be reviewed thoroughly in order to accurately cost a job.

Some of the factors that come into play are:

- On-site material (gravel, clay, rocky, ledge, etc)

- Existing vs. proposed elevations ( does fill need to be imported/exported)

- Clearing and stumping in the area of the proposed work

- Slab- crawl space- full foundation

- Flooring, Siding, roofing, windows (and the quality level desired)

- Type of heat (does the existing system provide adequate
capacity for the new heated area- also AC)

- Does the existing electrical service provide adequate capacity)

- You may be required (most likely will) to upgrade any existing issues relative to current codes (often times upgrading to current smoke/co2 requirements)

- Town sewerage or SAS (sanitary absorption System- Septic) If SAS, any added bedrooms will in all likelihood require a new system.

- Site access (is the work area readily accessible or does existing yard/landscaping need to be torn up and repaired) (can a concrete truck get to the new foundation work or for example, do you need to cost in a concrete pumper( 3 times, footing,walls,slab) at 600-800 each time)

- How "easily" does the proposed work tie into the existing structure

There are many qualified contractors that would readily stop by to take a look at your contemplated project. It does need to be said that upfront honesty is the best course.

The "free estimate" concept is a real issue with most contractors. I would normally put in 15-20 hours to thoroughly develop and detail a proposal for a job this size- work that is many times done for free without getting a job- just goes with the territory.

Make a few calls and explain that you are looking to just "get an idea" of potential costs and you are not ready to look for proposals, just a general idea of the potential cost. Most reliable well established contractors would be happy to stop by and offer some guidance and general input relative to likely costs.

As always, do your homework. There are many articles to be found online that offer guidance in selecting contractors.

Although competitive bidding is the norm (get 3 estimates they all say) there are pitfalls inherent in the process; another whole discussion.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM

235 posts, read 508,721 times
We added a second level to our split level home (no foundation required since we just added up) and it was just under $200K for everything. 2 baths, 3 bedrooms, 1000 sq. feet. They said if we needed a foundation it would have been much more.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM

220 posts, read 833,683 times
The first floor is going to be family room with full bath. Second floor is master bed with full bath. Adding unfinishd space in the basement would add more cost?

Based on the responses, I assume it is somewhere realistically $200-300/sq. ft. Thanks!

***I admit the particular colonial is not mine, but I am interested in buying. It is has no bathroom or the space to add one in the first floor. I just want to see if it makes sense to buy and expand or buy bigger house.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 PM

59 posts, read 283,184 times
I have a pal doing this right now: $200K!!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM

45 posts, read 172,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
The first floor is going to be family room with full bath. Second floor is master bed with full bath. Adding unfinishd space in the basement would add more cost?

Based on the responses, I assume it is somewhere realistically $200-300/sq. ft. Thanks!

***I admit the particular colonial is not mine, but I am interested in buying. It is has no bathroom or the space to add one in the first floor. I just want to see if it makes sense to buy and expand or buy bigger house.
In that case, look at your financing options closely and choose what makes more sense. For example, if you are buying smaller and cheaper house, you can put more money down, and take equity loan later, or maybe qualify for a specific renovation loan (talk to a mortgage broker who knows his/her stuff).

Will it get you into a more desirable neighborhood that you cannot otherwise afford?

Can you live in the house for a while without doing the renovations? (in case you have to postpone the project, or if it will take significantly more time than you expected)

Is there anything else that would require work done? (is it "sold as is" or is n better condition)

And if you bought a more expensive house that is big enough from the start, will that free up your time and effort, so you could work more hours and make more money, (or get a PT job for example), to help you prepay a higher mortgage.

Run the numbers in a few different ways, it should give you another outlook.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM

735 posts, read 3,490,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
You need to speak to the Town to see if an addition is even possible. You'll need to rule out easments and other issues related to property lines/neighbors.

You don't want to buy a house and later find out you can't do the addition!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 PM

45 posts, read 172,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
You need to speak to the Town to see if an addition is even possible. You'll need to rule out easments and other issues related to property lines/neighbors.

You don't want to buy a house and later find out you can't do the addition!
Second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts