U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM

37 posts, read 32,288 times
Default VT to MA

Hi; just discovered this forum.

I'm 66 and retired. My wife and I have lived in VT for about 6 years, having moved here from the Baltimore area. Both originally from Southern NE. We wanted to get back to NE to settle down for good after a career in which we moved a fair amount. VT was the NE state we knew the least about but we got to like it when visiting my daughter and her family who were living in Burlington at the time. Ended up with a large piece of property and a decent house about 35 min. S of Burlington. My daughter and her family have since moved to the MA North Shore. My other daughter lives in Boston. We spend a fair amount of time in MA visiting them.

A few things have us at least toying with the idea of moving to MA (or, perhaps, Southern ME, RI or NH):
- proximity to family. It's a 4 hour drive for us now; ideally we'd like to be within 1 - 2 hours of our kids (and Fenway Park.)
- large lot getting to be a drag. Although we have beautiful views from our house the upkeep on the land is getting harder. Last year I broke down and hired someone to do the mowing and that helped some. But it's still a lot of work.
- access to shopping, transportation, etc. We knew we were moving to a rural state and there's a lot we love about it here, but sometimes it just seems hard to get things done.
- social interaction. I've joined some organizations around here and have kept myself pretty busy with volunteer work, but we haven't made as many friends as we might like to have. (I'm more outgoing than my wife.) The fact that there's lotsa land between us and our neighbors is probably a contributor to that as is the "native" vs. "flatlander" thing.
- winter. I know they have them in MA too, but this past winter has been really long in VT. We do a lot of snowshoeing and don't mind snow, but it's more the length of the winters than the intensity which seems to be wearing us down a bit. The last couple of years we have spent short periods in warmer climes during the winter and that may increase in the future, regardless of which NE state we live in. (Unlikely that we would ever become true snowbirds and spend all winter in warm weather.)

The things we particularly like about VT are:
- laid back lifestyle
- outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing). We live fairly close to 3 nice state parks that give us nice outdoor options.
- cooler, less humid summers than other parts of the East Coast

We've been thinking maybe Western MA but don't really know the individual towns that well. Cape is probably out. Too close to Boston and it gets too expensive and is too crowded.

We'd probably be able to spend up to $500K for a house but certainly don't feel the need to spend that much.

Any thoughts on what communities to research or visit?

Thanks very much.

friar1610
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM

235 posts, read 444,021 times
I think western mass will be less of a culture shock than moving to eastern mass. You should look at Northampton. It's probably the furthest you'll want to be (about 2 hrs. to Fenway), but it is a unique artsy town- not unlike Burlington - with lots of cultural oppotunities and great downtown. There's also lots of recreational, biking, hiking opportunities. (lots of bike trails through town)
500K is more than enough for a great home, and there are options ranging from small neighborhood lots to urban condos to small farms.
Winters here in "the valley" are much milder than VT.

Some awards for quality of life: City of Northampton: Northampton Awards

If you haven't been to Northampton, take a day trip down for a visit.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM

324 posts, read 503,396 times
What about the south coast of Maine near Ogunquit or York? You're only an hour from Boston and it's so nice up there!

Western MA is nice too, but I don't know much about it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM

235 posts, read 444,021 times
Also, what I like about Northampton is easy access to big cities. NYC or Boston is an easy day trip (buses run regularly from Northampton, Megabus is nearby) and a high speed rail to NYC is coming.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks for both your posts. I had neglected to mention that getting to the big city occasionally is important. From our present location Montreal (which we love) is the closest option but it would also be nice to have better access to the Big Apple.

friar1610

Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,893,230 times
I would rent or buy a condo in Marblehead, Ipswich or Newburyport and be done with the yard work and chores of home ownership. Heck, I'm 44 and plan to do that in 10 years.

Taxes in VT are probably even higher than in MA so that's a plus. Southern NH could be a good choice too, but NH, in general, has higher property tax and a tax on dividend income.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPrincess View Post
What about the south coast of Maine near Ogunquit or York? You're only an hour from Boston and it's so nice up there!

Western MA is nice too, but I don't know much about it.
I actually love Maine and was stationed way Down East with the Navy for 3 years 1989-1992. Although it would put me a bit further from Boston, I think that I would opt for the Brunswick area if I were to pick Maine.

Thanks,
friar1610

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I would rent or buy a condo in Marblehead, Ipswich or Newburyport and be done with the yard work and chores of home ownership. Heck, I'm 44 and plan to do that in 10 years.

Taxes in VT are probably even higher than in MA so that's a plus. Southern NH could be a good choice too, but NH, in general, has higher property tax and a tax on dividend income.
Great places! The daughter I mentioned in the initial post actually lives in NBPT now so we spend a lot of time there. Before she lived in VT she lived in Marblehead. So I'm pretty familiar with both those towns. Although we want proximity to our daughters we don't want to be right on top of either of them so we were thinking a bit further out.

We're actually going to be in NBPT this weekend.

friar1610

Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,635,621 times
friar - we're probably neighbors in VT
When you are down in MA check out the Ipswich, Rowley, Georgetown area. Really nice semi-rural towns. Horse country. Real Estate maybe steeper than what you are looking for though. Essex is nice as well.
Have some fried clams for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts