Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Team/Story Is Capturing the Region More?
Celtics, by far, the big lead 0 0%
Celtics, slightly, the bigger deal 2 9.52%
Bruins, by far, the big lead 5 23.81%
Bruins, slightly, the bigger deal 9 42.86%
Sox and their struggles thus far 3 14.29%
None, even 1 4.76%
Don't know 1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times

Advertisements

Quite a spring thus far in Boston with the Red Sox struggling while the Celtics swept the Knicks and now play with Lebron and the Heat, and the Bruins beat archrival Montreal advancing to meet up with the Flyers.

I am curious, we all know Boston is far and away a Sox town (one need put set in Boston to see how many more people have a baseball cap vs. the other teams).

As we speak right now
1) Which team is more popular?
2) Which is the bigger story and generating more buzz...Celtics...Bruins...or the Sox struggles?
3) Which team (Celtics, Bruins) is the region more focused on?
Is it neck and neck or as I would figure
A. Celtics first by a mile
B. Sox struggles second
C. Bruins a big story but well behind the first teams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Since the Bruins won game 7 in exciting fashion against a rival recently, I'd say they're the biggest deal as of right now (Friday, April 29 early AM). However, I'm more into the Red Sox. Don't get me wrong, I like the Celtics and I want the Bruins to win. However, I'm a baseball fan and the Sox are my primary interest, even if it is April and the other two are in the post-season.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM

158 posts, read 545,839 times
I voted Bruins slightly.

The Red Sox season is young. Too early to be the biggest story.

Celtics have a bigger fan base and have a big series, but it is expected. I don't think its a huge storyline and I dont think they are winning new fans with their run.

The Bruins had a ridiculous 7 game series with a hated rival. They have die-hard fans and a long tradition, but haven't won imaginations outside of its hockey base, but are getting there.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Wow...are you kidding me?
How are the Bruins winning this poll?
I lived there, and hockey was easily number 4...with a big gap between the Celtics and Bruins.
I would think the Celtics would easily be the bigger story with the Bruins in the shadows?

Why? Celtics have many more fans, Bruins are niche and basketball is >>>>>>> hockey.
Yes, B's played Habs but C's played Knicks (New York) and now play the Heat.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it. The Celtics (the defending conference champions) swept, in the first round, a Knicks team that hasn't won a playoff game in a decade. The Bruins, a team that has faired poorly in game sevens recently, won (in overtime, no less) a game seven versus a bitter rival in thrilling fashion. The Celtics did what everyone expected, while the Bruins got a monkey off of their backs. I doesn't matter that the Celtics are more "popular" than the Bruins, the Bruins are the bigger story as their win is more surprising, and is (as a result of said big win) bigger news.

You asked "which is the bigger story right now?" "Which team has more fans?" was never the question. While the Celtics still have more fans, the Bruins are the bigger story right now given the nature of what they accomplished (big, exciting win vs. hated rivals) vs. what the Celtics did (win like everyone expects them to). The Bruins are the bigger story right now. In 7 days, depending on how each series plays out, that may change.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it. The Celtics (the defending conference champions) swept, in the first round, a Knicks team that hasn't won a playoff game in a decade. The Bruins, a team that has faired poorly in game sevens recently, won (in overtime, no less) a game seven versus a bitter rival in thrilling fashion. The Celtics did what everyone expected, while the Bruins got a monkey off of their backs. I doesn't matter that the Celtics are more "popular" than the Bruins, the Bruins are the bigger story as their win is more surprising, and is (as a result of said big win) bigger news.

You asked "which is the bigger story right now?" "Which team has more fans?" was never the question. While the Celtics still have more fans, the Bruins are the bigger story right now given the nature of what they accomplished (big, exciting win vs. hated rivals) vs. what the Celtics did (win like everyone expects them to). The Bruins are the bigger story right now. In 7 days, depending on how each series plays out, that may change.
Gotcha.
Still hard to believe the Bruins and hockey could be the bigger story, because again, they are easily the 4th place team in Boston by far.
The Celtics and basketball capture the city's heart much more.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
The Celts may have developed a larger base of fans over the years, but all the teams can generate excitement when they're doing something exciting. Even college teams can spark some interest if they're really doing something notable (prime example for those old enough to remember: B.C. football during Flutie's senior year), despite the fact that Boston is decidedly a pro sports town.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 AM

88 posts, read 233,584 times
Wasn't there a thread just like this last year?

You asked what the bigger story is right now. This isn't even a subjective opinion. Turn on the sports radio and the story IS the Bruins. Today they are going to spend more time on the Celtics due to the loss last night, but overall this week the Bruins will be the main discussion.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe1972 View Post

You asked what the bigger story is right now. This isn't even a subjective opinion. Turn on the sports radio and the story IS the Bruins. Today they are going to spend more time on the Celtics due to the loss last night, but overall this week the Bruins will be the main discussion.
Agreed.

Whether there are more Bruins or Celtics fans depends, in part, on where you live. The Bruins are big north of the city.

Though they haven't given much to get excited about in recent years, I'm kind of excited about the Bruins. They came back from down 2-0 against a bitter rival who'd given them fits all year, won three games in OT (which is much more exciting in hockey than basketball since it's sudden death) and now they've gone up 2-0 on the team that bounced them in ignominious fashion last year. If they win this series and Tampa finishes off the Caps, I don't see any reason they can't beat Tampa and reach the finals. That's exciting. Based on last year, though, let's just get past Philly first.

The Celtics, on the other hand, appear to have little chance of going that far. It may just be frustration, but I can't even bear to watch too much of the Celtics right now. Since the trade the Celtics have looked awful. Since they've been to the finals twice in three years, nobody's getting excited about beating the Knicks. People want more and the Celtics haven't shown any recent signs they're capable of providing it. Everyone would probably be more pumped about playing Miami if the C's played like they had a chance. I see the Bruins having a better shot at the Stanley Cup than the Celtics at winning the NBA this year. And the NYC angle just wasn't that compelling. The Knicks haven't been good in a long time. As Pierce said, "what rivalry?"

Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe1972 View Post

WHat?
Why?

The Bruins and hockey are easily number 4 behind the Celtics.
NBA has more fans than NHL.
Celtics have won more titles than Bruins.
I don't get why the Bruins all the sudden have usupered them....unless Boston really doesn't care about the NBA/Celtics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: