Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I think a lot of people from the North Shore are very unfamiliar with the South Shore, including myself. When they drive south they either go to visit Boston, Cape Cod or Newport. There are so many things to do on the weekends north of Boston, I think people just don't think, oh, let's go do something on the South Shore, unless they have friends and family there.
You are correct. We lived for most of our lives on the north shore, totally ignorant of the south shore and what it had to offer. Now we live on Cape Cod and love it and we're enjoying our explorations of the ss. I will say, however, I miss a lot about the north shore, mainly that you can be in NH or ME in almost no time at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 PM

131 posts, read 414,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I agree with Beachlady. The schools might be decent, and there may be some new McMansion neighborhoods but route 53 is a pit and Hanover does not have the overall curb appeal and charm that the nicer towns on the South Shore possess. Never will. Sure there are individual neighborhoods that would be considered "nicer" on the South Shore but the town as a whole isn't. It's not a bad place by any means but the reputation is that people from Rockland and Abington who think they have "made it" and people who want to live in Hingham but can't afford the "step down town" of Norwell(which I personally think is ridiculous- Norwell is terrific) move to Hanover.

Back on topic: Both the North and South Shores have much to offer. I've heard it stated that the North Shore tends to be more conservative of the two. Not quite sure how accurate that is. I love the coastline of the North Shore and rich history that many communities work hard to preserve.
Personally, I think Hanover has as much or more "curb appeal and charm" as any town on the South Shore. Old farm land with old stone walls abound. As far as rte 53 it has looked much the same since before rte 3 was built. Rte 53 in Norwell is no bargain either with two trailer parks and a homeless shelter, but you don't constantly rag on it. It's commercially zoned after all. Drive down Main St or Broadway in Hanover. It's like going back in time.

The snobbery some people display on this board is amazing.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesnana View Post
Personally, I think Hanover has as much or more "curb appeal and charm" as any town on the South Shore. Old farm land with old stone walls abound. As far as rte 53 it has looked much the same since before rte 3 was built. Rte 53 in Norwell is no bargain either with two trailer parks and a homeless shelter, but you don't constantly rag on it. It's commercially zoned after all. Drive down Main St or Broadway in Hanover. It's like going back in time.

The snobbery some people display on this board is amazing.

What is snobby about anything I said?

I agree those older areas are lovely. But the poster I was addressing noted the NEW mega mansion neighborhoods and NEW money were improving the town. I'd take a beautiful old Cape on Broadway over that new monstrosity on 123 near the Hanover/Rockland line any day of the week.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:14 PM

The slap at Rockland and Abington moving to Hanover and thinking they've made it struck me as being snobby. Some people prefer to have an easier commute.

That monstrosity on the corner of Honeysuckle and Webster is agreed by everyone to be a joke. But it is truly one of a kind.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesnana View Post
The slap at Rockland and Abington moving to Hanover and thinking they've made it struck me as being snobby. Some people prefer to have an easier commute.

No snobbery here. It's just Hanover is not the first choice for many on the south shore. How many people do you read on CD who want Hingham or Newton or Wellesley only to find out they can't afford it and lamenting they have to "settle" for another community? Usually the "settle" community is perfectly fine and actually very good in some cases but it still isn't that top choice.

I lived in Hanover for 2 years prior to getting married and Rockland for a number of years as a proud homeowner during the early years of our marriage. I didn't choose to "move on up" to Hanover (almost put an offer on a house) but know many who did -also know some who did make it into Norwell. No slaps just the reality of the south shore. Some towns will always be more desirable than others.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't live in Hingham if you paid me. Live in Norwell now, but would live in Hanover in a heartbeat.

Lived in Rockland for many years and enjoyed it very much.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrew26 View Post
I'd probably go with the North SHore unless you could afford towns like Cohasset, Duxbury, Norwell, Hingham, and Hanover.

Scituate should not be counted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts