Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM

450 posts, read 558,059 times

Advertisements

I've always lived on the south shore though the commute really really sucks I still prefer

seems that's the view of most here yet when I talk to north shorers they prefer there better

what do you guys think?

pro's and con's please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default where you were raised.

I really have not spent any significant time up on the north shore to really comment on whether there are any pros and cons from one shore to the next. Even though I was born on the north shore. My love and loyalty lies with the south shore. This is because I was raised/lived there from age 10 until I was in my early 30's. I know the area. I know where to get good food, I know where the good beaches are, I know how the people react to things there. Also I'm comfortable there because I know how thing are and where I stand there. Of course having friends and family there don't hurt either.

"Forever Marshfield!"

Baystater

Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
I prefer the north shore. Towns aren't as spread out . Still plenty of open spaces and outdoor activities. You are also closer to NH, Maine and Vermont for outdoor activities in the summer, and a easier dirve. We have excellent access to Boston and the tourist attractions...and have good commuter rail / subway service. Also you have two airports convenient to the area. Manchester NH and Boston. Good schools up on the north shore too. I like Winchester, MA area where I live.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 75,368 times
I'd probably go with the North SHore unless you could afford towns like Cohasset, Duxbury, Norwell, Hingham, and Hanover.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM

104 posts, read 490,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrew26 View Post
I'd probably go with the North SHore unless you could afford towns like Cohasset, Duxbury, Norwell, Hingham, and Hanover.
I agree with the exception of Hanover - it a nice town but not in the same sentence...I actually think that with the way that the housing market is playng out that it is cheaper to live on the SShore than the NShore...I live on the SShore and it's great. I go to Nshore alot for business and it's nice but not AS NICE!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM

116 posts, read 316,812 times
Default Disagree

Hi,

I disagree. Hanover is becoming one of the nicer towns on the South Shore. A lot of "new money" and fancy developments being built. It also ranks similarly to the higher priced town with their schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlady58 View Post
I agree with the exception of Hanover - it a nice town but not in the same sentence...I actually think that with the way that the housing market is playng out that it is cheaper to live on the SShore than the NShore...I live on the SShore and it's great. I go to Nshore alot for business and it's nice but not AS NICE!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 36,019 times
I have to say, I'm a North-Shore-er for life. I've been here for 23 years and have loved every bit of it. Beautiful towns, people, beaches...the south shore, to me, is almost like another world.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,745 times
I have lived on the south shore most of my life. I feel like the North Shore is a little too crowded unless you can afford to live on Bev. Farms/Prides Crossing/certain parts of Marblehead. The South Shore is great and getting better. Randolph is the melting pot south of Boston, easy access to Boston and the cape. The schools are improving, new playgrounds, more middle class families, more natural foods, more resident involvement, a greater number of parents choosing to homeschool, town beautifying projects in place. New imagination station, Olympic size track/football at the high school, new sidewalks, future CSA, Powers Farm/nature trails. Town rec. doing way more.Check it out 2 years from now. Love living South!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioak36 View Post
Hi,

I disagree. Hanover is becoming one of the nicer towns on the South Shore. A lot of "new money" and fancy developments being built. It also ranks similarly to the higher priced town with their schools.
I agree with Beachlady. The schools might be decent, and there may be some new McMansion neighborhoods but route 53 is a pit and Hanover does not have the overall curb appeal and charm that the nicer towns on the South Shore possess. Never will. Sure there are individual neighborhoods that would be considered "nicer" on the South Shore but the town as a whole isn't. It's not a bad place by any means but the reputation is that people from Rockland and Abington who think they have "made it" and people who want to live in Hingham but can't afford the "step down town" of Norwell(which I personally think is ridiculous- Norwell is terrific) move to Hanover.

Back on topic: Both the North and South Shores have much to offer. I've heard it stated that the North Shore tends to be more conservative of the two. Not quite sure how accurate that is. I love the coastline of the North Shore and rich history that many communities work hard to preserve.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
I think a lot of people from the North Shore are very unfamiliar with the South Shore, including myself. When they drive south they either go to visit Boston, Cape Cod or Newport. There are so many things to do on the weekends north of Boston, I think people just don't think, oh, let's go do something on the South Shore, unless they have friends and family there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts