U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM

24 posts, read 27,154 times
Ipswich is a good town. I would also recommend taking a look at newton if you can afford it. It was rated the safest town in America not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM

72 posts, read 74,069 times
You might also want to consider Melrose, Wakefield, Newton or Winchester. Though I don't know if they teach Latin or German in any of the schools.

Unread 06-02-2011, 05:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,747 times
Thanks to everyone once again
As the relocation won't be paid by a company but by ourselves, we are considering to rent a place first (already in the town in which we want to settle down because we don't want to move the kids from one school district to another) and then look for a house.

Any advice on how this would make sense; renting first and then buying later, regarding the cost to rent a place for a family of 4 plus dog? As we already discovered, it's very difficult to find rentals at all that allow pets and are in a affordable price range (2500 max) on the internet.
The price range for buying a house would be 500k+.

Next, I am wondering if looking for a school that teaches Latin (and/or German) should be considered at all. I, as a mother, thought that it would especially help our 11-year-old son, whose English is quite limited and not at the level of our daughter's (17), who is fully bilingual, to continue with Latin, knowing that so many English words derive from it. However, surfing the internet I have come across one single school district that offers both: Pentucket (Merrimac, West Newbury). How is the commute from one of these towns to Boston?
Any thoughts on this?

My husband is more fond of Ipswich because he does not consider Latin to be such a must for our son and finds the location (close to Boston and the ocean) and the community very appealing. He thinks that the schools of Ipswich are very good and since my husband was born and raised in California, we would love to be close to the ocean, also, our children were born and lived five to ten years respectively in California before we moved to Germany. We missed the ocean air quite a bit!

So yes, my husband and kids are Californians since some were wondering.

We do not want to go back though, mainly because the schools simply aren't good in general anymore and we don't want to live in some urban sprawl with the next grocery store miles away.

We would love to hear some thoughts and advice!

Unread 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

72 posts, read 74,069 times
Have you considered Catholic or other private schools? They might teach Latin. I believe the Catholic High in Ipswich teaches German.

Unread 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM

270 posts, read 835,834 times
I am German and have lived in the US for almost 13 years. My husband is American, I met him while he was stationed there and we have lived and travel all over the place. We live in Walpole now. The high school offers a lot of languages, including Latin and German. But as a mom of two bi-lingual kids and occasional German substitute teacher I have to say, don't worry about your son's English. With a little extra help he will be fluent in no time. To my mind it is more important that the kids learn one foreign language early on and learn it well. That can only be done with Spanish in the US. And that makes sense. With all other foreign language training it is hit and miss what kind of teacher you have. For instance our high school offers German for 4 years but my 11 year old speaks, reads and writes already much better than the 3rd year student.
Moving to this area I think it is more important to find a good house (price you can afford), in a good location(schools) with a commute you can live with. It is very hard to move on the Internet, there will be a lot of things you can not foresee and wished you had done differently. Let me know if you have more questions. BTW Walpole has a German club and am awesome German store.
Let me know if you need more info and advice!
Angela
PS: I love living in the US!!!

Unread 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM

197 posts, read 310,223 times
The Melrose and Wellsely school systems teach German and Latin I think (in high school).

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM

119 posts, read 148,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm curious as to why you'd want to emigrate to the US? My parents came from Switzerland to Massachusetts, but probably would have done much better to stay. The work hours are longer here, less vacation time, pensions are worse (and not always guaranteed if the company goes under), and Americans are in general not as well educated as Germans. There's a rise in rightwing hate groups. (those last two aren't as true of Massachusetts, people are better educated than other parts of the US and have few hate groups ...... but still).

It seems to me that the future is much brighter in Germany than in the US, even if it's a bit more boring to live there. Have you considered just trying it out for a half year or year before committing yourself completely?

WOW! oh your from California.....

Unread 06-03-2011, 04:26 AM

5,885 posts, read 5,264,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily M View Post
Any advice on how this would make sense; renting first and then buying later, regarding the cost to rent a place for a family of 4 plus dog? As we already discovered, it's very difficult to find rentals at all that allow pets and are in a affordable price range (2500 max) on the internet.
Make sure to check out any prospective apartments at Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. which has ratings by former tenants. Throw out the lowest ratings (often grudges by people who were evicted) and throw out the highest ratings (often made by management or owners of the apartments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
WOW! oh your from California.....
I was born and first raised in Massachusetts, but have also lived in NY State, Wisconsin, and Seattle in addition to California. It's my opinion that the US may be on the verge of financial collapse, even aside from the problems in California.

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,336,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm curious as to why you'd want to emigrate to the US? My parents came from Switzerland to Massachusetts, but probably would have done much better to stay. The work hours are longer here, less vacation time, pensions are worse (and not always guaranteed if the company goes under), and Americans are in general not as well educated as Germans. There's a rise in rightwing hate groups. (those last two aren't as true of Massachusetts, people are better educated than other parts of the US and have few hate groups ...... but still).

It seems to me that the future is much brighter in Germany than in the US, even if it's a bit more boring to live there. Have you considered just trying it out for a half year or year before committing yourself completely?
I have to agree with most of what you say, except for the boring part.
Germany is by no stretch of the imagination boring LOL. Take Berlin for example. It's a cleaner, friendlier version of NYC.
I'd become an expat in a heartbeat if it weren't such a huge undertaking (pets, financial, jobs etc.).

Unread 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM

243 posts, read 249,488 times
IlonaG, my friend (I am in Maryland currently) is moving to MA this month. Her husband is in the military and will be stationed in Natick, MA. They lived in Germany for 5 years and when they moved back to the US both of their children (now 11 and 13) were fluent in German. So, they decided to find a school that had a great German program and found one in Wellesley, MA so they will rent a home there.
We will be relocating up to the Boston area within the next year and are looking more at the community and school rating (www.greatschools.org will help you compare and contrast schools. A rating of 10 is outstanding, and you go down from there) in an effort to find the right town for us. Currently, we are interested in: Westborough, Natick, Mansfield, Franklin. We can't afford Newton or Walpole...or really anything closer than a 20 minute ride into the city.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts