Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firengineer View Post
Thanks Beachcomber. Do any of these towns have beachfront?
Norwell is coastal but not beachfront. (North River)

Scituate and Sandwich (which is on Cape Cod) are both beachfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Ahh ha! I'm not crazy (well maybe I am, but not in this case). I thought that I read your request for information in NH, then by the time I got back to the computer last night, I couldn't find it. Somehow I'm not surprised. Anyway, if you try again, I'm sure with the rainy weather, many of the NHites are inside and on the computer.

I agree with irfox's info that Rye is a great oceanfront town to consider, while remembering that nearby Portsmouth is a great town to visit and for young professionals who want to live where they play. Also consider North Hampton and Hampton Falls.

NH's lack of income tax will only be a benefit if the job(s) is (are) in NH. Otherwise you'll be paying MA income tax (without the benefit of voting how your tax contributions are spent). NH property taxes on a 650K house will vary tremendously, but I would think 9-12K is a good estimate, depending on town. Also, consider what services are important to you, and plan accordingly. Some towns have very little public water/public sewer (and so rely on private wells and septic systems). Other towns have no trash pick up and residents must either hire a private hauler or take trash to the dump. Same thing with shopping and other amenities--what's most important to you and your family (other than non-pretentious towns. I could name a dozen or more in NH, and more than a few in Northern MA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firengineer View Post
Thx! Posted in NH forum and it was deleted.

Kids are 10/7.

Irfox, have you been to Hampton Beach lately? Shortly after the devastating fire that took out an entire block of buildings a year or two ago (the night of the huge windstorm, if I remember correctly) the state decided to upgrade and revamp the entire Hampton Beach State Park on the ocean-side of Atlantic Avenue (the area otherwise known as the Hampton Beach Strip). Here is a video from one of the newscasts:
http://www.wlbz2.com/video/default.a...d=941687307001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Hampton Beach when you want a beach that's a little more kitschy with a strip $2 t-shirt stands and fried clam shacks) .

Last edited by Valerie C; 06-11-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added Hampton Beach info...

Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Irfox, have you been to Hampton Beach lately? Shortly after the devastating fire that took out an entire block of buildings a year or two ago (the night of the huge windstorm, if I remember correctly) the state decided to upgrade and revamp the entire Hampton Beach State Park on the ocean-side of Atlantic Avenue (the area otherwise known as the Hampton Beach Strip). Here is a video from one of the newscasts:
Hampton Beach upgrade nearly complete | Video | wlbz2.com
No, I haven't been since the new construction has completed. I hope I get to check it out this summer. The improvements in the video look great!

To be clear, I wasn't knocking Hampton Beach. I have always enjoyed visiting. It's just I think it is a different "scene" than the most prototypical New England beaches which are generally surrounded by far less development than the strip that's along Hampton Beach. It shares a lot in common with places like Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, etc. In that they all have large retail sections and hotels lining a busy boulevard that parallels the beach. You don't see a ton of that in New England (Old Orchard Beach is another one which I like far less than Hampton, Salisbury is more run down, Revere Beach is a bit more urban, and Rhode Island's South Shore has similar development on a much much smaller scale). I used "Kitsch" probably inappropriately. I love the clam shacks and t-shirt shacks, they add character to many places (and make good seafood affordable). Again, while Hampton Beach has more development than most beaches in New England (some of it on the more cliche , the development doesn't detract from the natural beauty of the area which is stunning. I think Hampton Beach's complete package is far better than a place like Daytona or Myrtle Beach (or for that matter, Old Orchard, Revere or Salisbury Beach). It's just a bit more "bustling" than Rye.

One of the reasons I noted that Hampton Beach was nearby and different (from Rye) is because the OP (in this forum or the Maine forum... I can't recall which) noted that they didn't want a beach community that gets overrun with tourists in the summer. Hampton Beach, for all its positives, is a VERY busy summer destination. The atmosphere even in the peak months is far more subdued in Rye Beach.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
How about Ipswich/Georgetown?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM

234 posts, read 628,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Canton
Norwell
Scituate
Franklin
Sandwich

This is based on HS data- MCAS, AP test scores etc and then some personal experience and through looking for homes in the area (Norwell, Scituate, Canton and Sandwich). Norwell and Scituate are in the same area (they border) but each town has a very different, distinct flavor.

Be sure to check out individual elementary/middle schools for other data. There can be great discrepancies within an individual town between neighborhood schools. Franklin has really built a solid reputation and through experience in youth sports etc I have found it to be a town that has great pride and friendly parental involvement.

All have a lot of opportunity for kids and will fit your 650K budget and have the New England atmosphere you mentioned.
I think Beachcomber gave you some good suggestions. Maybe Braintree as well if you're in certain elementary districts.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
I don't recommend Franklin-I grew up there-and now live in so cal [not irvine, however]....
Many of the 'newer money' towns-ie, last 20-30 yrs, will have that polarized 'townies' vs. 'yuppie' type of vibe....not that there is tension, but there will be these two worlds, and not all that much 'charm'. Franklin has a town common and a college, along with amtrak to boston-but it really does lack charm, and the traffic is r-o-u-g-h. I mean, I lived there when it had one traffic light and 4k people....though they have tried to widen roads and access in places, it's not pretty.

Schools: Guess that depends on what 'great schools' means to you.
Test scores will be better where there's money; it's true. From there, it depends on the vibe you are looking for....
As far as towns that are down to earth new england and not pretentious, I do believe you need to be more specific....b/c while you think 'your post says it all', non-pretentious usually means more working class and that often doesn't translate into your 650k home and 'school district'.
Unless...you look to the old money towns, where low key is decidedly the flavor. You see this in CA, for ex: Marin and some of the older, established communities. It's not cut and dry, but just giving an example, vs. the newer Irvine up and comers, where money is status vs. a means. I think many NE towns have become more like Irvine in recent decades, unfortunately....That said....

Are you looking for artsy/liberal non-pretentious? Or more staid and CT/Irvine feeling places? You will find non-pretentious places of both types....And you will also find both types in old money and newer money towns. [btw, I agree with the poster who mentioned dysfunctional as a primary characteristic; unfortunately, this can be said of anywhere.....]

North shore could be an option for you-Newburyport area.
Also, Concord and Natick.
I would avoid Foxboro, and Sharon can be a mixed bag IMO. I find it a bit pretentious; Norfolk is nice.

Since you are looking in NH: Check out Portsmouth.
And you could certainly look to western MA, as well....Amherst, etc. depending upon how far from a large metro area you want to be. But the U-Mass/colleges area provides some great, unique school programs and community feel, and is not pretentious [at least not materially], in my mind.

Good luck to you; sounds like a great position to be in! (:

Last edited by lrmsd; 08-02-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM

105 posts, read 552,402 times
Default I would try north shore towns

I would try the small towns on the north shore. Manchester, Hamilton/Wenham, Georgetown, etc. I honestly don't believe pretentious is the same as it is in Irvine. I live in SoCal now, know many people from the Irvine area, so I'm well aware of the "vibe". I don't get that vibe in MA as much. Maybe Newton/Wellesley..?? But even then I don't think it's comparable.

If your budget is similar to Irvine, I'd look in Manchester.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Charlton.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
Another vote for Charlton!!!!!!

Although as far as towns in this area go I like Sturbridge & Sutton as well. Great schools in all three towns. I think you get more pretentious the closer you are to Boston and Cape Cod.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 15,387 times
Move out to Central Mass! The traffic is such a breeze compared to the Boston area. There is acreage and highway access. All the modern conveniences. No beach front, but lakes. Mount Wachusett for skiing and snowboarding. The Wachusett District schools are great. Our main city is Worcester - so obviously we can't get too pretentious! $650 buys an awful lot of house and/or land out this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts