U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM

830 posts, read 368,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I am almost breathless reading your descriptions of what interests you in Ma.

F.Y.I. I made it to Ma. Nov. 2007!!!

You'll be breathless when you experience our -15 degree chill factor May not have happened yet since you've been here. Winters are so unpredicticable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

5,852 posts, read 1,713,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
You'll be breathless when you experience our -15 degree chill factor May not have happened yet since you've been here. Winters are so unpredicticable.
Hello...moved here in November last year before the snow started?! Also lived here for one of the harshest winters back in 2004! I love it all!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM

528 posts, read 1,190,877 times
It's all abour personal preferences. I grew up in MA and have also lived in CA. In all honesty I have always wanted to live in the Southeast because of the better weather and southern hospitality I hear so much about and my goal is to move down there next year or the year after.

I can't say I love MA. I love Boston but not the people. I find it hard for a young guy who has his stuff together to meet a woman around here believe it or not. People tend to be cold and/or superficial around here for the most part. Overall, I do like MA because I'm from here but I would love to live somewhere else for a while to see if the grass is greener.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,714,399 times
I dunno about dislike it, I will say that the only reason I'd go back would probably be due to friends, family or education.

Just like anywhere else it's a matter of preference, and if the preferences don't line up there are better places to be. I like Boston, and think it's a solid small city. The walkability is pretty big and the mass transit is ok (though it could definitely be way better). There is lots of stuff to do, though sometimes the variety of things regarding nightlife can be kind of limited.

The rub is that due to how things are preserved (which I'm not totally against because I think older construction is cool, preservation is part of Boston's charm) it forces sprawl. High tech companies started sprawling out to office parks outside 128 and along with that housing spread out as well. It seems to me that (with regards to infrastructure) the state tends to be conservative on the wrong things. I see that changing a little bit with the conclusion of the Big Dig, and hopefully that continues and they extend the T out to the inner suburbs.

My other issue here was that it wasn't neccesarily that the public transportation was amazing, it's that the city is so old and poorly laid out you really don't have a choice. There is no point driving in when it takes me a half hour to move 5 miles. Once you get out to the suburbs there is a massive dropoff.

Also the weather was cool when I was in elementary school and could dodge school due to snowdays, but when I had to work it could bite me.

Now, if you like snow it's great! You can go to Vermont or New Hampshire and hit the slopes easy. Hockey is a big sport. Unfortunately, I'm not a skiier and I don't dig winter sports, so as I got older I spent a majority of my time indoors during the winter, which gets grinding after a month.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 AM

161 posts, read 490,730 times
Did anyone else think she was joking? Anyways... I love MA I grew up in natick Ma and have lived away from Ma for 10 years now. There is certain things that I miss that I cant find anywhere else. The weather is so seasonal in ma I miss that. People here in VA are not the same either. I feel like people are not as cool down here. Talk about fake people! At least in MA you know what your getting. If it were more affordable we would consider it.

Quote:
My friend grew up in SC and her family had a business in MA. Her brother had a split school year and he made out just fine. My friend teacher early child developement in college. I was hoping to hear from other families who actually live in 2 different states a year.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 AM

5,852 posts, read 1,713,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzit420 View Post
Did anyone else think she was joking? Anyways... I love MA I grew up in natick Ma and have lived away from Ma for 10 years now. There is certain things that I miss that I cant find anywhere else. The weather is so seasonal in ma I miss that. People here in VA are not the same either. I feel like people are not as cool down here. Talk about fake people! At least in MA you know what your getting. If it were more affordable we would consider it.
I know what you mean about the friendliness factor in Va. Lived there in Fairlakes before moving to Lexington,Ma. Most people I met were from New York

Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 AM

830 posts, read 368,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzit420 View Post
Did anyone else think she was joking?
Why don't you ask me directly if I was joking rather than try to find people to support your rudeness. Nothing cool about your comment. At least I think out of the box and not afraid to take chances. My daughter is an A student and the experience could prove to be a benefit in this ever changing world. Maybe if YOU had taken more chances in life you would have gone further and therefore you could AFFORD to live here. Ever think of that? Just a thought....

Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 PM

7,738 posts, read 10,018,914 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the people that do not like MA are people that do not live in the better parts of MA that are close enough to do all the things you crave or they are like me and LOVE MA May thru October and HATE it the rest of the year!
As one who lived in MA for many years (15 to be exact) and left recently, maybe you could enlighten me as to what parts of the state are the "better parts" of which you speak?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 AM

1,911 posts, read 1,509,931 times
Default Masschusetts winters

Quote:
You'll be breathless when you experience our -15 degree chill factor May not have happened yet since you've been here. Winters are so unpredictable.
Well, let's see: I lived in the Boston area for 25 years and loved the winters!! Still do! You just don't like the four seasons, that's all.

In the morning I would drive to my job on the South Shore in January or February. All the trees had frozen ice on the bare branches. It was beautiful.

I came up (stuck in NY) to Boston a few years ago in January to hear a premier concert by a new composer (that I know) at the Boston Symphony Orchestra. There were foot deep (or more) snow piles against the curb on Commonwealth Avenue and the snow was still crunchy beneath my feet. I miss that feeling: It is relatively rare in NY, surprisingly so.

You just are one of the people who don't enjoy the cold snaps in January or February. I cherish them.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM

1,911 posts, read 1,509,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Hello...moved here in November last year before the snow started?! Also lived here for one of the harshest winters back in 2004! I love it all!
See my reply to his/her post: I share your sentiments!

Some people just don't appreciate the four true and distinct seasons, one of the great things about New England!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts