Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,706 times

Advertisements

What North American accent does the Western Massachusetts accent most closely approximate? What does the Western Mass. accent sound like? Where in Massachusetts does it begin? I've heard non-rhotic Eastern New England accents in both Sturbridge and Southbridge before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Usually it's said that the WMass accent begins west of the Connecticut River. We pronounce our Rs and it just doesn't sound like the EMass accent. But even people from EMass who pronounce Rs and don't seem to have much of an accent still sound different to me.

When I have taken those online quizzes of what accent do you have, it usually says Ohio, New York State, standard American. To me it also sounds exactly like a Vermont accent or non-accent.

We have some different words too like grinder for sub and soda for tonic.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 AM

404 posts, read 1,195,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Usually it's said that the WMass accent begins west of the Connecticut River. We pronounce our Rs and it just doesn't sound like the EMass accent. But even people from EMass who pronounce Rs and don't seem to have much of an accent still sound different to me.

When I have taken those online quizzes of what accent do you have, it usually says Ohio, New York State, standard American. To me it also sounds exactly like a Vermont accent or non-accent.

We have some different words too like grinder for sub and soda for tonic.
I grew up in Worcester, Central MA, and we ate "grinders" but we drank "tonic"

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
When I lived in Amherst, the accent of local people from around Amherst, Northampton, and vicinity sounded Midwestern to me. Not the highly nasal accent of Minnesota, Wisconsin, or maybe parts of Michigan, but more like northern Ohio, maybe Chicago. Maybe not exactly like either of those accents, but similar. When living in that area, I did know a woman from Chicopee whose accent had a bit more of a nasal quality to it than the accent farther up the Valley, but was similar otherwise.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
I think it begins east of the Conn River. Maybe around the Worc County/Hampden County border. Western Mass people have a kind of "flat A" sound that you also hear in upstate New Yorkers and Chicagoans. Seems more pronounced in NY State than in Mass but a similar sound.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,363 times
IDK about sounding like upstate New York or the Ohio valley at all. To me the area around Springfield has a mixture of NYC and Boston going on. Plenty of dropped r's and non rhotic speech patterns to be heard. It is not as pronounced as EMass but still present,the farther west you head towards the berkshires it tends to more general american.

But we do have some interesting vocabulary we use here
package store=liquor store
ding dong cart=ice cream truck
grinder=a sub
wicked=well it's a massachusetts staple and can mean anything
and so many more i am sure others can fill in.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Memegen.net - Quizzes, games, and other toys for your blog!

I just took this quiz and it says I have a plain old American accent, no particular region. I would have expected WMass since I've lived there all my life except for the last few years of living in EMass and the EMass accent still sounds weird to me.

Do you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same=yes
Cot and caught-yes
don and dawn-yes

and so on. Some place I also saw that the WMass/Ohio/NY state accent is the accent desired by the media. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Oh, and we say drinking fountain instead of bubblah.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM

This time I did the same quiz but without thinking so much.

C. Someone from northern New England who doesn't have a New England accent..........

Well, I DO have a New England accent--it's WMASS. (You might want to try this quiz for the fun of it.)

Western.
Like Midland, Western is another accent that people consider neutral. So, you might not actually be from the Western half of the country, but you definitely sound like it.

And if you're not from the West, you are probably one of the following:
(a) A Pittsburgher - the quiz can't tell the difference;
(b) Someone from Canada (probably southern Ontario) who doesn't have a Canadian accent;
(c) Someone from northern New England who doesn't have a New England accent; or
(d) Someone from Texas or the Heartland who was born after 1980.
You are definitely not from New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Detroit, the Deep South, etc.</font>

Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
grinder=a sub
Those terms are used all over the state, except for "ding dong cart" (Or at least I've never heard that).

Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
IDK about sounding like upstate New York or the Ohio valley at all. To me the area around Springfield has a mixture of NYC and Boston going on. Plenty of dropped r's and non rhotic speech patterns to be heard. It is not as pronounced as EMass but still present,the farther west you head towards the berkshires it tends to more general american.

ding dong cart=ice cream truck
grinder=a sub
I didn't know that terms such as "package store," "grinder," and "wicked" were used in Western Massachusetts. I thought those terms were only used in Eastern New England. I'm glad to have learned something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts