Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,852 times

Advertisements

We grew up in Springfield MA in the 1970's and have lived in Virginia for 27 years. We are looking to move back home to MA in the spring of 2008. What are the best areas to live in now. Tell me about Springfield and the crime that I keep reading about. The must be some nice areas in Springfield. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM

96 posts, read 454,071 times
I like Forest Park, but other good neighborhoods are East Forest Park, Sixteen Acres, Indian Orchard, Atwater Park, McKnight (if you are looking for a big old Victorian).

Go to City of Homes | Choose Springfield, Massachusetts, there was a big story about it last week in the paper. Its all about the neighborhoods in Springfield.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
I agree with the above neighborhoods mentioned, although find parts of Forest Park and McKnight a bit dicey. Springfield still has a number of attractive neighborhoods that are relatively safe. The areas immediately south and north of downtown suffer the most blight, crime, and neglect.

I don't know when you visited last. You'll be sad when you return to Springfield. Gone are the days of a bustling downtown, Steiger's and Johnson's Book Store. The city has hit upon some very hard times. I grew up in Connecticut but often visited my grandmother in Chicopee. I've witnessed Springfield decline for a long time now.

Regarding housing, I'd check into Longmeadow, East Longmeadow, Wilbraham, and Ludlow in addition to Springfield.

Last edited by yankee.peddler; 08-09-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 22,483 times
Default Still has some beautiful houses and neighborhoods

Check HistoricProperties.com for what you get for you money. Of course the more expensive homes, and in Springfield we're talking $250k and up, are in better neighborhoods. Springfield never experienced the huge run up of real estate that much of the rest of the country and Eastern MA experienced.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 AM

46 posts, read 220,528 times
I live in Sixteen Acres and we are finding that this is not the best place for us to raise a family. We are realizing that the main thing keeping us here is our house- we absolutely love it, and our wonderful neighbors, who have become like family to us. I believe that our neighborhood is one of, if not the nicest in Springfield. The problem is that taxes are high and you don't get much if anything for them. Our street's condition is horrible, and we would each have to pay thousands to have it repaved, as it is a "private" street that was put in 60 years ago, but not approved by the city. The city was pretty corrupt years ago, which has affected the school budget. The teachers only just got a contract after 5 or so years without one (a pay freeze) and lost many good teachers to other districts. I know this for a fact, since I was one. My ticket out was having a baby! The crime rate is high- 18th in the country, I last heard. It's on the other side of the city, but too close for comfort for this country girl at heart.
All of this to say that a wonderful, old city with lots of potential is having trouble attracting and keeping young families- people like myself who want safe neighborhoods and good schools for their children.
I hate to sound too negative- before major changes happened in our extended family, we had a strong family base here (our reason for coming here) and knew about the state of the city. In the past 6-12 months, the family has scattered and have all left us behind, so this feels like a much lonelier place. These things have colored how we see our lives here.
I do know many lifelong residents who still love it, but the bottom line is that it isn't the city it was when my father was growing up in Enfield, Forest Park was a safe place to play, and Main Street was lined with department stores and such. It almost feels like you're in a different country when you go downtown. Be prepared for many changes since you were here last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts