U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM

1,438 posts, read 2,279,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have friends who live in Westport off River Road a bit north of Acoaxet. Yep. You have to drive a few hundred yards in the Adamsville part of Little Compton to get there. I was bummed when Abram Manchester's in Adamsville burned. A great spot for Sunday brunch or to hear a band. The Barn is still there for breakfast.

Mom used to have a waterfront house on the Sakonnet River in Tiverton not too far from Four Corners/Gray's Ice Cream. They have higher property taxes so I scratched it off my list. I really wanted a $10 mil rate town. Tiverton's mil rate is up near $20 per thousand. The property tax rate scratched Marion and Mattapoisett off my list, too.

The big problem with Little Compton if you're there for boating is the lack of harbor with moorings. Unless you go back generations where you inherit the mooring, you're not getting one of the few in Sakonnet Harbor and there isn't much parking there to park a car and trailer to use the town landing. Your boat is going to float in Westport.

I'm not all that much of a beach person but the Rhode Island coast from Point Judith to the CT line is another low property tax area with reasonable housing costs. My retirement math works best when the house doesn't tie up a huge fraction of my net worth and where the property tax burden is very low.

I like the Casco Bay towns but the boating season is far too short.
This is what bugs me about seacoast nh. Great if you work in nh but if your income goes down, you need more net worth to cover the crazy prop taxes. Plus nh taxes dividens

I have really begun to like York. It's not real Maine blah blah but it has a low property tax rate at you can still keep a toe in the Boston employment market if need be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM

17,642 posts, read 9,852,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
This is what bugs me about seacoast nh. Great if you work in nh but if your income goes down, you need more net worth to cover the crazy prop taxes. Plus nh taxes dividens

I have really begun to like York. It's not real Maine blah blah but it has a low property tax rate at you can still keep a toe in the Boston employment market if need be.
Maine has a really stiff state income tax. They just cut it from 7.95% to 7.15% but it's still brutal compared to 5.15%.

It's kind of humorous that Taxachusetts is now one of the lower tax burden states in the Northeast. If you don't have the expensive 495 belt home with proportionally high property taxes, other than New Hampshire, you have to go all the way to Delaware to find a lower tax burden state. If you live in one of the low property tax rate towns not commutable to Boston where the housing prices are moderate, it's affordable as a retiree. I'm still 7 years away from retiring but that's how I did my math.

Some of the NH resort towns have pretty good retiree math for low property cost and low property tax rates if you don't buy where the vacation home owners want to buy. The north side of Winnapisaukee a mile+ from the lake is inexpensive land. Some of the ski resort towns are like that once you get 15 minutes from the ski area parking lot. Of course, you don't have much in the way of services.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 AM

12,383 posts, read 9,634,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Maine has a really stiff state income tax. They just cut it from 7.95% to 7.15% but it's still brutal compared to 5.15%.

It's kind of humorous that Taxachusetts is now one of the lower tax burden states in the Northeast. If you don't have the expensive 495 belt home with proportionally high property taxes, other than New Hampshire, you have to go all the way to Delaware to find a lower tax burden state. If you live in one of the low property tax rate towns not commutable to Boston where the housing prices are moderate, it's affordable as a retiree. I'm still 7 years away from retiring but that's how I did my math.

Some of the NH resort towns have pretty good retiree math for low property cost and low property tax rates if you don't buy where the vacation home owners want to buy. The north side of Winnapisaukee a mile+ from the lake is inexpensive land. Some of the ski resort towns are like that once you get 15 minutes from the ski area parking lot. Of course, you don't have much in the way of services.
Maine is based off the federal tax code, where almost all of the same deductions apply. When I moved, my taxes barely changed (they might even be less). If you don't itemize and just claim the standard deduction, then yes Maine gets expensive. Property taxes can be very reasonable especially in the rural areas. Where they really get you up here is with the auto excise tax, it's almost twice what it is in Mass.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM

11,116 posts, read 16,559,256 times
Chatham, MA on Cape Cod

Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 PM

10,885 posts, read 10,804,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
If you're living on one of the islands in the Sound, you'll want to be by the water. That lets out DC. You can have NYC (too noisy, crowded and dirty for me). Boston's south or north shore would work but the weather is pretty severe.

I think I'd choose the eastern shore of Maryland.
The Eastern Shore of MD is not the Northeast, Southern Accents, sweet tea and all.
The Lower Cape and the Islands really don't get much snow, those could work.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM

3,756 posts, read 4,141,990 times
Since the question is a town, I would go with Needham, MA or Westwood, MA for my primary residence and then for a summer home Chatham, MA.

If cities - West Roxbury if not having kids, Newton if having kids.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 AM

510 posts, read 481,866 times
I would love a home with ocean views in Marblehead!!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM

7,037 posts, read 10,734,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Since the question is a town, I would go with Needham, MA or Westwood, MA for my primary residence and then for a summer home Chatham, MA.
Same here. I'd love to have as my main residence a house in Needham (check!) and a summer home on the Cape. I'd probably prefer Mashpee or Falmouth though but Chatham is certainly a nice place.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 AM

4,291 posts, read 5,169,163 times
Greater Boston: Newton, Wellesley, Belmont, Natick
North Shore: Marblehead, Beverly
South Shore: Cohasset, Hingham, Hull, Duxbury (a mixed back, I know)
The Cape/Islands: Truro, Wellfleet, Falmouth
Central Mass: I grew up in flyover country, no thanks
Western Mass/Berkshires: Northampton, Amherst, Lenox, Williamstown

Old 08-27-2016, 11:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,867,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeicecream View Post
Yes, anywhere in the Northeast.

More info: we are early forties, no kids, and like to think of ourselves as fairly liberal.
Burlington, VT on the shores on Lake Champlain. Vacationed there years ago and it reminded me of Seattle...both the scenery and the vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or