Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 19,327 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to the Sommerville area and was wondering what the average utilities would be in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment (part of a duplex). The landlord has recently bought the property, so they do not have a record of what they would be.

I know everything is different from building to building, but I am moving from Raleigh, NC and know it will be a shock.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 19,327 times
Or just in general and not Sommerville specifically.

I know what utilities run in the South (GA and NC) but don't have ANY clue in MA. I have been told to get an apartment that has at least heat and hot water included. Do they run that high?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,229,829 times
The age of the house is a major factor, including the insulation.

This is one example but I will provide it - my friend rents the first floor of an older home in Somerville (right near Davis Square). His heating bills in December, January, and February are $200-300/mth. His apartment is a one bed/one bath, maybe 1000 sq ft? He has to be a little miserly with the heat, including shutting off one part of his apartment (the front part) to contain the cold air.

In the summer - the place doesn't have central air, so he has to rely on window units. That gets pricy too - $100/mth when running just one. Depending on the apartment, you might need 2 window units.

So yes, if heat and hot water are included, that is a huge bonus. But, one thing you might consider is asking the current tenant in the place to share their monthly utility expenses. As I said, it can vary depending on the method of heating, what floor you are on, and the age/condition of the house.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,794,415 times
If you pay your own heat, I'd avoid electric heat systems. Don't have 1st hand experience but I've heard 300+ in winter elec bills easily. Gas heat would be cheapest all things being equal, but lots of houses run on oil.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,006,280 times
It depends soooo much on the kind of windows you have (new? Or old and drafty?), how hot or cool you keep your apartment, the size of it, and the kind of heat you have.

For my 900-odd square foot condo I pay about $200-$300 per month for gas heat in the winter. Jan-Feb is the highest; December and March is slightly lower. I keep the temperature at about 67 and turn it down to 62-64 or so at night. It's not very warm, you do need to wear a sweater/use blankets, but it's not uncomfortably cold (to me, anyway). Windows are less than 5 years old, no drafts. In the summer, we run one window unit AC (not when we're not home, though) and the electric bill is about $100/month.

If heat is included in your apartment, you might not be able to control the temperature, which can suck if the minimum temps a landlord must provide is a lot colder than what you are used to. Just something to consider.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,794,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If heat is included in your apartment, you might not be able to control the temperature, which can suck if the minimum temps a landlord must provide is a lot colder than what you are used to. Just something to consider.
I read it's MA law to keep the apt at a min of 68F in the winter. Don't know if LL's follow that and what recourse there is - report to city Health Dept? After doing that one would probably expect a high rent hike when the lease expires.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,006,280 times
The law is pretty specific (I can't think of it off the top of my head): It's one temperature for day and another for night, and includes certain dates and/or outdoor temperatures. You absolutely can report a landlord to the city if the minimum standards are not being met: if a landlord cheaps out on something as basic as heat, it's a good sign that you shouldn't live there another year anyway (learned that one the hard way a few years back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts