Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Not to mention George Bush Sr was born there!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 38,008 times
Hello Providential Man,

My first thoughts are Brookline and Chestnut Hill which will fit perfectly with your description. There are not only older, spectacular homes available but also many new homes in various phases of construction if you prefer. I think you would also like the Weston and Wayland areas as well as Newton. Milton is also another alternative which would fit with your style described.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Last edited by ppinckney; 08-21-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 PM

8 posts, read 38,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providential Man View Post
I do realise that this post must appear somewhat strange, however, I do not currently live in the US, I live in London. My experience of "exclusive agents" so far is that they simply rip you off.

When I mentioned Vermont, I didn't realise how far it was from Boston, till I looked at an atlas!

I work in the medical field and am establishing an office in Boston. Whilst I have been to boston many times, I don't get the oppertunity to venture out to scout for areas. As a result, I need to identify an area before I would consider instructing an agent who would most likely find a property that would cost me as much as possible, without necessarily presenting me with all the options. I have been burned before, and have thus decided to do some digging myself.

I do appreciate all of the advice given so far from everyone, and I assure you, of my genuine intentions.
Well you'd be safe Providential Man. In Massachusetts the sellers pay the commission normally unknown to buyers. There are buyer agreements. However, a clause can be clearly written so that buyers are not out of pocket (for instance purchasing a FSBO home) but simply committed to working with the agent unless conflict arises which again a clause could be included mutually parting on terms of conflict. It simply ensures that the buyer agent is compensated (again, normally from the sellers agreement with their broker). With you moving here from another country, I would think you'd want someone to represent you and your interests.

Last edited by ppinckney; 08-21-2007 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM

143 posts, read 485,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
If anyone has ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail don't some of these explanations remind you of how a pigeon can fly carrying a coconut? LOL. Just my wacky sense of humor....no offense intended. Proceed.
Actually, it's a swallow

Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Actually, it's a swallow
You are so right! I am glad someone knew what I was talking about..."what, the curtains"?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM

35 posts, read 196,748 times
Why is everyone discouraging this person from moving to Boston? You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Providential Man, please do not be discouraged or put off by the attitude of many of the people in this thread. Boston is a wonderful city with many many merits in an absolutely wonderful state rich in character, history, and tradition.
Despite what some may say, our future is bright! And brighter than much of this country at that.

Massachusetts welcomes you!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 AM

355 posts, read 1,503,029 times
Default Acton

Acton is a great option too. My husband and i used to live there.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
cohasett, hingham, dover has lots of horse properties, maybe milton

Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 38,522 times
Try Lexington or Concord (historic). Also Lincoln or Boxford.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
Good morning!

Well, Connecticut is extremely rural with older Victorian stunning estates and homes built in the 1800's. A lot of them have 10,000 square feet not the 15,000 that you're looking for, but you never know, you want that? Wait, you'll just have to be patient, it will be out there soon enough. There are between 1 to 2 acres all the way up to 24 acres in Connecticut for sale a lot though right now. Plenty of properties too, there's a huge turnover due to natural attrition and all that. This area I'm referring to in their State is actually in the Berkshires. Look through towns like Salisbury or Sharon, Ct. You'll see quite a lot of them.

Not exactly 35 minute away unfortunately from Boston, it's about a 3 hour drive away. One thing about living there, you'd be able to still get to Boston or New York if you wanted to, you'd be half way between both states. A lot of celebrities live through this region and I can see why after seeing this part of this lovely state. Celebrities like Meryl Streep and Mia Farrow, Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward, News anchors and people like Tom Brokaw. They have privacy and their properties are all extremely secluded from the roads through these towns. It was amazing to me to see this type of rural environment coming from a city all my life! I couldn't believe how rural it was through there! Talk about trees? SO SO many many trees, all these hills & valleys & country roads with scenes out of a magazine or in a movie! Just so beautiful through this whole region of Connecticut. It's called Litchfield County and it's in the upper northwest part of the state, when you look for it on a map. My brother in law is originally from this region and we spent many Thanksgiving holidays here with his parents.

New Hampshire's Rye Beach area where similar estates are? Forget about it, the people that live there now have torn down quite a lot of the "gems" that were there and have built newer more modern updated estates. Even when you go through realtor's websites, you hardly ever see older properties up there any more, they're usually from this century and this decade. Stunning properties just the same of course, but just so new & so modern. The character and charm of the older homes they used to have along the coast is slowly disappearing for good unfortunately. New Hampshire's coast where Rye & Rye Beach is located is approximately 45 minutes to an hour drive south down to Boston.

I'm still thinking you need to consider looking at Boston's North Shore area, it would be nothing for you to drive down to Boston from any one of the towns people suggest there for you. For instance, here's some facts about Andover, MA. that I thought you should know. It's about 35 minutes from Boston for one thing. Andover was originally settled in 1636 under the native-american name of Cochichawicke, a local waterway. The community was incorporated in 1646 as the Town of Andover, named after a town in England where many of its settlers had come from, how interesting is that? From the earliest days of the town, manufacturing has played a major part in its development. The region's first powder mill was established in 1775; the manufacture of paper began in 1789; and in the early nineteenth century, several woolen mills prospered. While all of these early forms of manufacturing have since moved away, Andover continues to attract major modern industries. It's known the world over for being the home of one of the oldest and most prestigious independent secondary “prep” schools in the U.S. – Phillips Academy. Founded in 1770 by Samuel Phillips, the school today has an enrollment of approximately 1,100 students. Phillips Academy alumni include such notables as former President George Bush, pediatrician Dr. Benjamin Spock, former Yale President and baseball Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti, and former Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Oliver Wendall Holmes Jr.

The patriotic song America was written in 1831 by Samuel Francis Smith while attending the Andover Theological Seminary. Andover is often referred to as the “Home of America.”

Like I said before in a previous post to you, I drive by this home all the time, (it's my favorite one in Andover and it's for sale), it's the Historic Captain Stephen Abbot House, the only problem is? For you it's way too small, it's only .65 acres unfortunately. Not enough trees either on the property! Well, in this country you know you can always plant them and change the look of your property all together! I have a Japanese maple tree in my yard that's over 50 years old, you should see it and 2 landscapers came along last summer and told us that we can get approximately $22,000 to $25,000 dollars for it, if we wanted to sell it, but of course we DON'T! Some one like you in your shoes, would come along and buy it for their own property because they want and need older trees on their land and want to fill it up with them for privacy. So, see how it is in America? If there's a will there's a way, always remember that and you WILL find your home of your dreams here, trust me!

Good luck!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 08-28-2007 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts